NGTO Message Board
Welcome to NGTO!
Home ] [ Membership ] [ Donations ] [ Feedback ] [ Stream Reviews ] [ Stream Reports ] [ Maps ] [ Events ] [ Articles ] [ Rules and Regulations ] [ Archives ] Message Board ] FAQ ] [ Hall of Fame ] Sponsors & Supporters ] About ] [ Witticisms ] [ Distinguished Members ]
Welcome to NGTO!

Go Back   NGTO Message Board > Fishing Reports > Chattahoochee River
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-31-17, 12:54 AM   #1
ChefKy
Native

Default Midge Hatch at the Dam

Got out to the dam for a few hours today. Always heard about the tough winter fishing there with having to use small midges and wanted to give it a try. I fished the dam for the first time last year and really fell in love so am enjoying seeing it at its different personalities. This was my first real trip there since turnover ended and it was awesome wading the low clear water. I started throwing an 18 and 20 under a small indicator. I picked up one small rainbow and a small brown like this but surprisingly no more. The wind was really crazy and strong so j moved behind bowmans island to try to get s little protection but didn't find much relief. About 3pm a pretty serious white midge hatch began and continued until 5 when I had to leave. I saw fishing rising everywhere so bad to tie on a dry. Well this increased my catch rate very quickly but zero hits came in the dry. I was very disappointed, I switched between a 16 cream EHC, a flashy 18 klinkhammer, and even a 20 griffiths gnat. Not one hit on a dry but almost any dark colored midge underneath now caught fish. Olive was a little better than black and 18 seemed to be plenty small enough.

I'm curious as to how others fish this type of situation? A lot of the risers were jumping clear out of the water so I assume they were chasing emergers as opposed to sipping bugs off the top. Still would have figured for a few on a dry. Big T or Prowler, any other dry fly choices you guys have luck on?

One thing I think that helped me today was switching to the dry rig where I could cast and present further than the indicator rig. The water was very clear and low today and most hits came at 30' out or more. It was kinda tough with the wind. I probably could have had a really good day if the wind wasn't so bad.

Was nice to run into Dave on the trail on the way in today, besides that I saw no one else besides the ranger patiently waiting at my car at 4:55. Id say a few more than a dozen today, mostly browns with 2 bows. Biggest fish today was maybe 12". I really love the variance in those brown trout.

A few pics to prove it happened.

-Tom Brokaw-
ChefKy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-17, 04:49 AM   #2
Big T
BOD Member, Hall of Fame

Swing small soft hackles downstream to them will often work dropped below a Bowmans gnat.
Old 01-31-17, 07:11 AM   #3
Dave375
Native

Good to see you out there Chef, looks like you had a good afternoon!!!
Dave375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-17, 08:12 AM   #4
splatek16
Native

Nice work

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
splatek16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-17, 09:28 AM   #5
ChefKy
Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big T View Post
Swing small soft hackles downstream to them will often work dropped below a Bowmans gnat.

Thisnis what I thought. Smallest soft hackle I had was a bulky size 14 hares ear. Any advice on what hackles to use on smaller hook without making a tenkara looking fly?

Bowmans gnat?

-Tom Brokaw-
ChefKy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-17, 09:46 PM   #6
trout1980
Native

Nice

Thanks for sharing
trout1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-17, 04:43 AM   #7
Big T
BOD Member, Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefKy View Post
Thisnis what I thought. Smallest soft hackle I had was a bulky size 14 hares ear. Any advice on what hackles to use on smaller hook without making a tenkara looking fly?

Bowmans gnat?
I use India hen necks a lot they don't cost too much. Sometimes I like the stiffness of a dry fly feather also. Just have a bead that will sink it, I like the 1.5 or 2.0 mm for those guys.