NGTO Message Board
Welcome to NGTO!
Home ] [ Membership ] [ Donations ] [ Feedback ] [ Stream Reviews ] [ Stream Reports ] [ Maps ] [ Events ] [ Articles ] [ Rules and Regulations ] [ Archives ] Message Board ] FAQ ] [ Hall of Fame ] Sponsors & Supporters ] About ] [ Witticisms ] [ Distinguished Members ]
Welcome to NGTO!

Go Back   NGTO Message Board > Fishing Reports > Chattahoochee River
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-06-17, 03:30 PM   #1
Dsaporsky
Native

Default Stockers at the bridge

Friday afternoon I happened to spot the stocking truck headed for paces as I was running errands. After following the truck down to the park, I ran home (about 1.5 miles away) and grabbed my fly gear!

As soon as I got back, I jumped in the water at the boat ramp and started fishing. The water was SUPER low, maybe the lowest I've seen, and had excellent visibility. I worked my way from the boat ramp all the way up stream to just below the bridge. I landed 2 very nice bows (my 2 pb's in succession) and a small brown, but didn't find the numbers I was expecting from a stocking truck.

As I was getting ready to climb out of the river just below the bridge, I found the fresh stockers. There were 3 separate pods packed in so dense, I couldn't see the bottom! I then proceeded to stand in one place and catch approximately 30 fish in probably 60 casts! I have never been on a fresh stockers bite, but now I understand what people are talking about. They will bite literally anything!

The 2 bows were around 15" and I'm very proud of them, but the best freshly stocked fish I caught was my fly rod pb at somewhere around an 17"-18" brown! Fins were destroyed, but still a great fight!

Thanks GA DNR for making my day amazing and memorable!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20170203_130734868.jpg (108.2 KB, 163 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20170203_145323458.jpg (27.7 KB, 169 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20170203_145314286.jpg (24.6 KB, 157 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20170203_173908401.jpg (58.7 KB, 192 views)
Dsaporsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-17, 03:35 PM   #2
splatek16
Native

Cool

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
splatek16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-17, 11:17 PM   #3
trout1980
Native

Nice!
trout1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-17, 08:01 AM   #4
BOATERFISH
Native

haven't stocked browns in years. but 1 may have slipped in there.
always fun to find a hungry pile though!
BOATERFISH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-17, 08:46 AM   #5
Shellfish
Native

Good job..it pays to be geared up and ready just in case.

I believe they do stock browns during the dh season below Morgan Falls Dam.
"I know your path has been tried and so it might seem like the way to go. Me, I'd rather be found trying something new. And the bottom line in all this seems to say there's no right and no wrong way..." The Offspring,1997
Shellfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-17, 08:48 AM   #6
flyfisher062305
Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOATERFISH View Post
haven't stocked browns in years. but 1 may have slipped in there.
You're thinking of the upper tailwater. Browns are stocked every year in the DH.

Mark
flyfisher062305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-17, 09:21 AM   #7
I_got_skunked
Native

I'm surprised they made it that far that fast. Were the fresh stockers mostly browns for you as well?

-skunked
I_got_skunked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-17, 09:54 AM   #8
Dsaporsky
Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_got_skunked View Post
I'm surprised they made it that far that fast. Were the fresh stockers mostly browns for you as well?

-skunked
I think the truck must have dumped them in at the bridge, because I didn't see any at the ramp. And all but one of the approximately 30 stockers I caught were browns! Only 1 bow amongst them. Which makes me wonder...

Do browns and bows wander into different kind of water immediately after being stocked? Or did the bows just not like the look of what I was throwing?
Dsaporsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-17, 01:53 PM   #9
I_got_skunked
Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsaporsky View Post
I think the truck must have dumped them in at the bridge, because I didn't see any at the ramp. And all but one of the approximately 30 stockers I caught were browns! Only 1 bow amongst them. Which makes me wonder...

Do browns and bows wander into different kind of water immediately after being stocked? Or did the bows just not like the look of what I was throwing?
I do not know the answer to your question, but on Saturday I caught 3 browns letting my woolly bugger rise at the end of its swing while the rainbow I caught was stripping it back in. Similarly, on Sunday the rainbows chose larger flies than browns, generally speaking. I would need more experience to know if this was a trend.
I_got_skunked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-17, 02:46 PM   #10
Budwick
Stocker

I probably put 25+ to hand early last Saturday morning and only 2 were bows......but nice bows. That was my first outing using the euro nymphing technique so I might be a little spoiled now.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170204_142247.jpg (58.7 KB, 84 views)
File Type: jpg 20170204_213702.jpg (47.4 KB, 81 views)
File Type: jpg 20170206_091738.jpg (54.3 KB, 83 views)