NGTO Message Board
Welcome to NGTO!
Home ] [ Membership ] [ Donations ] [ Feedback ] [ Stream Reviews ] [ Stream Reports ] [ Maps ] [ Events ] [ Articles ] [ Rules and Regulations ] [ Archives ] Message Board ] FAQ ] [ Hall of Fame ] Sponsors & Supporters ] About ] [ Witticisms ] [ Distinguished Members ]
Welcome to NGTO!

Go Back   NGTO Message Board > Fishing Reports > N. Georgia Small Streams--Trout Reports
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-07-17, 04:47 PM   #1
splatek16
Native

Default AMI DH, Euro nymphing, and the wormigon

2/5
@bozosnightmare and I met up at the AMI 2/5 and literally walked right into fish. After my first cast, to get the leader sorted out, bam fish on second cast. 6 more in that hole, moved and continued to get them.
Ended up with 30 to the net, a few got off, and a few broke off, because they are good sized fish! Biggest of the day was a 15+ inch male, kype jaw, bright colors... Nasty looking beauty.

2/7
Went back today and had another stellar day. Five fish in my first six casts, then broke a fish off in the rocks. Retied the rig and got back to it. It was super good early then slowed around mid morning, when the otters decided to slosh around my hole. I moved, got a few more, moved back later and continued to get them consistently all day.

Still working on my Euro nymphing technique, noticing the takes, and setting the hook. Although these fish are decent sized, the takes have been pretty subtle, which makes for a great learning environment. I know I have a lot to get better at, but bringing 40 to the net today, and losing a few to break offs or thrown hooks = my best day, yet.

The fish are still on the junk as far as I can tell. Sunday I went ten for ten on a red wormigon, then a few with the tan and chartreuse. Today, same thing, they were crushing the wormigon, chewing them up, actually. Once the three I had were either chewed or had gotten snagged or broken, things slowed down, although the y2k, worm2k, and the carrot were producing reasonably consistently, as was a Frenchie.

Question: when catching numbers like this is it recommended to change our inspect tippet? Dawned on me as I was writing this post that all those sharp trout teeth might actually be rendering the tippet a little less than prefect as the day goes on...

Pics below of a few and my chewed up wormigon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
splatek16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-17, 04:48 PM   #2
splatek16
Native

Also, nice meeting Jim and Hillis.
Thanks for the intro Big T

Old 02-07-17, 09:16 PM   #3
FlickNdip
Native

Nice report! I need to try to get up there next week.

Tight Lines Joe of North Georgia on Facebook. Checkout and like my page. I am constantly updating it with new content.

Tightlinesjoe on Instagram, Follow me!
FlickNdip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-17, 08:15 AM   #4
HILLIS LANIER
Native

Nice meeting you Splatek16, and as always enjoyed talking to BigT. I believe you matched BigT's numbers which is an accomplishment in and of itself. Congrats on a great day on the water! I also had a good day at Ami yesterday, but not the numbers you had. A beaded yellow egg was the most productive for me, also caught a few on a beaded pink squirmy and a beaded coral egg. Most of the fish were well fed. Met a couple of nice guys on the water, father and son up from Macon. It was the son's first fly fishing trip. I dropped a ziplock bag full of thingamabobbers in the stream and got a bit of a dunking trying to retrieve them. I wasn't able to get to them, but while I was flailing around in the water the son retrieved them for me. He asked me to look at his setup which I did, suggested he raise his strike indicator and move his split shot up a few inches off the fly. Not sure my suggestions helped much, but Jim was the man of the hour, setting him up with a dropper, whereupon he caught his first trout ever. Made his day and Jim's. Great day at Ami!
Old 02-09-17, 11:17 AM   #5
Joe_Atlanta
Native

Wow, I've been too busy to get on the river, glad to see y'all are getting out and getting it done. Thanks for the reports. Easy does it on the February swimming Hillis!
Old 02-09-17, 12:52 PM   #6
splatek16
Native

I wouldn't suggest hitting the AMI ibn the next few days.
The rain completely washed it out.
Water level at least 18-24 inches above earlier this week and as dark as chocolate milk.
In a stream that's already tricky to wade, imho, chocolate milk water= no bueno.

Old 02-09-17, 05:51 PM   #7
NPuffer
Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by splatek16 View Post
I wouldn't suggest hitting the AMI ibn the next few days.
The rain completely washed it out.
Water level at least 18-24 inches above earlier this week and as dark as chocolate milk.
In a stream that's already tricky to wade, imho, chocolate milk water= no bueno.

I was planning on going up there for the first time satuday. Do you think it will settle down by then?
NPuffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-17, 07:26 PM   #8
splatek16
Native

@NPuffer, honestly, I don't know. I don't feel qualified to say. My hunch would be yes, but that was a pretty nasty storm that came thru.

Maybe others with more stream knowledge than me could chime in...???

Old 02-09-17, 08:40 PM   #9
NPuffer
Native

yes thanks, certainly never really know. I am new to Georgia and have all saturday to explore. would you recommend any other rivers to check out just past the Ami?
NPuffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-17, 08:53 PM   #10
splatek16
Native

Smith creek, the Chattahoochee was recently stocked down at Cochran/paces