NGTO Message Board
Welcome to NGTO!
Home ] [ Membership ] [ Donations ] [ Feedback ] [ Stream Reviews ] [ Stream Reports ] [ Maps ] [ Events ] [ Articles ] [ Rules and Regulations ] [ Archives ] Message Board ] FAQ ] [ Hall of Fame ] Sponsors & Supporters ] About ] [ Witticisms ] [ Distinguished Members ]
Welcome to NGTO!

Go Back   NGTO Message Board > NGTO Fishing Forums > Fishing Tips and Techniques
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-15-17, 03:03 PM   #1
Dsaporsky
Native

Default Carolina Rig

Question about Carolina rigging for bass (sorry if this is in the wrong sub.) I've been bass fishing for a long time, but I just started using a C-rig, and I noticed in shallow water that the weight stirs up a ton of silt and crud on the bottom as you drag it, and the bait trailing it is obscured. Does this matter to the bass? Or can they still see the worm/craw/fluke? Do I need to downsize my weight, or make the leader longer, or slow down/speed up the retrieval?

Thanks!
Dave
Dsaporsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-17, 04:30 PM   #2
fishmonger
Past Director, Hall of Flame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsaporsky View Post
Question about Carolina rigging for bass (sorry if this is in the wrong sub.) I've been bass fishing for a long time, but I just started using a C-rig, and I noticed in shallow water that the weight stirs up a ton of silt and crud on the bottom as you drag it, and the bait trailing it is obscured. Does this matter to the bass? Or can they still see the worm/craw/fluke? Do I need to downsize my weight, or make the leader longer, or slow down/speed up the retrieval?

Thanks!
Dave
You might get an answer in the Warm Water Forum, but...this is a trout board, and that is really a forum for warm water fishing reports. I wouldn't expect to get a whole lot of action on a thread about bass fishing techniques, unless it includes fly fishing. Maybe I'll be wrong.

FM

"Grow a pear!" - Groundpounder
fishmonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-17, 07:38 PM   #3
I_got_skunked
Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsaporsky View Post

Thanks!
Dave
A lot of folks even say that's the point of a carolina rig. Makes it look like lure is what's stirring up the bottom.
I_got_skunked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-17, 11:55 AM   #4
orey10m
Native

FWIW, I'd say a carolina rig is best used in deep water, hence the heavy weight. The splash from the heavy sinker you use with those rigs will be a lot more noticeable (and disturbing/disruptive) to a fish in a few feet of water than one 20+ feet down.
To address your question though:
The mud and silt is going to get stirred up whether the rig is being fished in shallow or deep water (obviously you just notice it more in shallow water). And I agree with Skunked, I think it is likely a good thing. Similar to a crankbait bouncing off the bottom, or a crawfish that actually stirs up dirt and mud when it scuddles around. Very realistic.

And the bass can definitely still 'see' it - (hint, they aren't relying on their eyes that much anyway.)

If you weregoing to fish the C-rig in shallow water (for the other benefits of that presentation), i would suggest downsizing the weight some for two reasons:
1 to avoid some disruption of the sinker splash, and
2 not needing to get the rig down as deep/as fast
orey10m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-17, 04:10 PM   #5
Big Browns
Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by orey10m View Post
FWIW, I'd say a carolina rig is best used in deep water, hence the heavy weight. The splash from the heavy sinker you use with those rigs will be a lot more noticeable (and disturbing/disruptive) to a fish in a few feet of water than one 20+ feet down.
To address your question though:
The mud and silt is going to get stirred up whether the rig is being fished in shallow or deep water (obviously you just notice it more in shallow water). And I agree with Skunked, I think it is likely a good thing. Similar to a crankbait bouncing off the bottom, or a crawfish that actually stirs up dirt and mud when it scuddles around. Very realistic.

And the bass can definitely still 'see' it - (hint, they aren't relying on their eyes that much anyway.)

If you weregoing to fish the C-rig in shallow water (for the other benefits of that presentation), i would suggest downsizing the weight some for two reasons:
1 to avoid some disruption of the sinker splash, and
2 not needing to get the rig down as deep/as fast
I definitely agree on this! C-Rig to me is a way of covering a lot of water, and deeper water with the big weight. If you want to fish it shallow 8' and under, downsize your weight to a 1/2oz weight from the normal 5/8, 3/4 or even 1oz weight. While some people prefer not to, I always use a bead above my swivel!

Look up the NED rig. I've been using it in situations where I might have thrown a C-Rig and have killed them with it! It isn't weedless but if you're just dragging bottom and searching, you'll be fine. Set it up with a Zman TRD and have fun

My biggest worry is that when I'm dead my wife will sell my fishing gear for what I said I paid for it. ~Koos Brandt

Big Browns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-17, 09:06 PM   #6
Windknot
Director, Hall of Fame Member, Secretary

A Carolina rig is great for bass AND trout!

Use the lightest weight you can for the depth you're fishing. Stirring up silt is a good thing, BTW.

A Mr. Twister grub, Texas rigged, with a split shot ahead of it, is a great trout combo.

Want to Help Ease DNR's Budget Woes? Buy a TU license Plate!
Windknot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-17, 10:07 PM   #7
Brotherbear
Native

Split shot in front of fly=C rig
Old 07-01-17, 10:30 PM   #8
fishnpreacher
Board of Directors Chaplain, Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brotherbear View Post
Split shot in front of fly=C rig
That's what I was thinking, except for the swivel....

Exodus 29:18
Then burn the entire ram on the altar. It is a burnt offering to the LORD, a pleasing aroma, a food offering presented to the LORD.

God loves BBQ!
fishnpreacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-17, 10:37 AM   #9
Counslrman
Hall of Fame Member

...I use a bullet weight above my swivel...AND...invert it so the cone is up...it stirs up even more silt and terrestrial grubs that way...

Blessings!

Jimmy
Counslrman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-17, 01:38 PM   #10
orey10m
Native

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Counslrman View Post
...I use a bullet weight above my swivel...AND...invert it so the cone is up...it stirs up even more silt and terrestrial grubs that way...

Blessings!

Jimmy
Now that's unorthodox!

...anything unique to create that 'edge' over other fishermen's presentations
orey10m is offline   Reply With Quote