NGTO Message Board
Welcome to NGTO!
Home ] [ Membership ] [ Donations ] [ Feedback ] [ Stream Reviews ] [ Stream Reports ] [ Maps ] [ Events ] [ Articles ] [ Rules and Regulations ] [ Archives ] Message Board ] FAQ ] [ Hall of Fame ] Sponsors & Supporters ] About ] [ Witticisms ] [ Distinguished Members ]
Welcome to NGTO!

Go Back   NGTO Message Board > Fishing Reports > N. Georgia Small Streams--Trout Reports
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-23-17, 05:57 PM   #1
HILLIS LANIER
Native

Default Ami today

Amicalola Creek has been good to me this year. Today, was exceptionally good. I believe I caught the most I have ever caught there. I fished HWY 53 bridge area, and I caught trout pretty much everywhere along that section. I started out with a tungsten beaded pink squirmy fished 4 to 5 feet under an indicator, no extra weight and started catching them almost immediately. The first fish on was a jumper, and it jumped and it jumped, and it jumped high in the air. It was jumping so much I really expected to not land it, but fortunately I did, and it was a nice size fish. I later dropped a zebra midge off of the squirmy, but had no luck with it. After lunch I put on a beaded black wooly, size 10 or 12, no strike indictor, no extra weight, and drifted it through several runs with no luck, until I got to what I have been told is Big T's hole on the other side of the stream, and bang the fight was on. I thought I was at Dukes, with a really nice size fish on. I caught several more very nice size trout in that hole on the wooly before calling it a day. All of the trout caught on the wooly in that hole were vicious strikes. Here are a couple of pics showing the colors on some of the fish I caught. Big and colorful.

Last edited by HILLIS LANIER; 04-11-17 at 08:52 PM.
HILLIS LANIER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-17, 06:27 PM   #2
splatek16
Native

Great work! Gorgeous fish.
The AMI has been fishing great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
splatek16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-17, 05:54 PM   #3
Swimmer
Native

Randy, Frank and I arrived at Steel Bridge today at about 9am. We rigged up and hit our favorite spots. I put on my new Streamtrekkers for a test. They helped a lot...thanks for the NGTO recommendations. The newly stocked fish are very healthy and brightly colored. They were suckers for Y2K's and Squirmys. My Cortland Competition 10 1/2 foot 3wt was just the ticket. I tied up a 20ft leader using a competition formula and really liked the way my Sighter showed the tiniest takes. No one went for a swim today although two of us had momentary losses of balance.

If you have any friends who are interested in fly fishing, get them out soon...before these fish smarten up. Anyone can catch right now.
Old 03-09-17, 08:10 PM   #4
txc35
Native

I love dumb fish and I am not ashamed to say it. They make me a better fisherman.
txc35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-17, 12:47 AM   #5
JHexom
Native

Wore them out at Steele bridge today as well. Got there around 11 and caught them consistently on mops and pink squirmys for a couple hours

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
JHexom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-17, 09:57 AM   #6
HILLIS LANIER
Native

Fished Ami again yesterday at HWY 53 Bridge with Kelly Hinson and Nick Wigley. We had a great day, weather was beautiful and we caught a lot of trout. Water was up a bit, which was nice to see, and stained a bit, little harder to wade, but fishing was great. Unlike Swimmer's group, a couple of us went for a swim. I fell in three times, slipping on the rocks, and Kelly took a bad spill. But it was all worth it, as the The Trout liked my pink squirmy, green squirmy, cream mop, and black wooly bugger. Met Don Wright on the stream, and he was having a good day. Thanks Don for giving me you hole. The trout in that hole really liked my black wooly bugger. My photos are not that great, and all of you have seen pics of stockers, so I am not posting any here. Nick, however, has a great pic of one of the tout he caught. I am hoping he reads this and posts it here.
Old 03-10-17, 07:28 PM   #7
nwigley
Stocker

It was a great day like Hillis said. He wore them out. Here is the picture he was talking about

IMG_2159.jpg
nwigley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-17, 08:50 PM   #8
csharp1171
Native

I was at Steele bridge late this afternoon and ended up with 5 to hand in 2 hours. I consider that a good day given the wind and stained water. Not sure if I'm using the term "stained" correctly. Basically the water looks muddy from the rains last night. There were a couple of guys fishing at the deep hole by the bridge when I got there and they weren't having much luck. I caught one on a wooly bugger and another on a y2k. I moved on down stream and managed 3 more and another one got off. Not sure if it was the stained water but they were hitting the y2k but it's like they were missing or weren't full committed to taking it.
csharp1171 is online now   Reply With Quote