NGTO Message Board
Welcome to NGTO!
Home ] [ Membership ] [ Donations ] [ Feedback ] [ Stream Reviews ] [ Stream Reports ] [ Maps ] [ Events ] [ Articles ] [ Rules and Regulations ] [ Archives ] Message Board ] FAQ ] [ Hall of Fame ] Sponsors & Supporters ] About ] [ Witticisms ] [ Distinguished Members ]
Welcome to NGTO!

Go Back   NGTO Message Board > Other NGTO Forums > Firearms & Shooting
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-03-17, 10:06 AM   #1
soundsfishy2me
Native

Default U.S. Military Plans to Buy Handguns From SIG

Interesting article regarding a 600 million dollar contract for handguns for U.S. military going to SIG, a German manufacturer, instead of a U.S. company. There are some very interesting and valid comments as to why this contract should go to a U.S. arms manufacturer. Who is getting rich(er) with this deal? AKA "pay to play".

Glock to Army on SIG's MHS XM17 Contract: Not So Fast
Glock is protesting the military's decision to replace their current sidearm with the relatively new SIG P320-based XM17.
GUNSAMERICA.COM

https://www.gunsamerica.com/blog/glo...act-not-fast/?
soundsfishy2me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-17, 12:40 PM   #2
natureman
Native

Protesting federal contracts is commonplace. Where I previously worked for 30 years the maintenance contract was challenged many times. If the evaluation process was properly done then the protest is frivolous. Sometimes companies seem to protest out of spite. From what I have read about the Military/Sig purchase it is a very good weapon that ticks all the boxes. I personally like Sigs. It will be made in the U.S. so I don't have a problem with it being a foreign company.
natureman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-17, 12:43 PM   #3
Drifter
Former Director, HOF

I'm guessing this deal was in the works before Nov 8th. I'm anxious to see if it goes through.

The contents of this message might be totally inaccurate, misguided or otherwise perverse. If you are stupid enough to follow any of the tips listed here and mess up yourself or your equipment, I am absolved of all responsibility. The information contained herein is based on my personal experience and by no means constitutes the correct way to do it. Your mileage may vary.

Follow me on Instagram
Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-17, 01:41 PM   #4
Brotherbear
Native

A lot of Sigs in military use already.
Old 03-03-17, 10:44 PM   #5
Dtroutmann
Native

It's actually not surprising the M-9 is a Beretta and was used by our military for many years.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beretta_M9

Trophies are relative
Dtroutmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-17, 11:54 PM   #6
Blueridgeflies
Native

Glock is no more american then sig is. Though both of them have facilities in the US. The reason that glock is protesting is that they have been pasted over more then once for military contracts. They make a decent pistol but quite a few folks have been dropping them for better options in the market place. The only thing glock has been able to land from what I hear is a green light as an alternative carry piece for some units but that is about it.

In way of dropping the M9, this has been a long time in coming but the trials were partly the doing of berreta. They wanted to start supplying the M9A3 to the military under the old contract, but it was deemed to much of a deviation to the current M9. A personal note on this from having owned\shot the G19\G17, the P320, and the M9. The p320 really was the best out of the bunch in sight profile, and in handling. Being able to customize the frame to the shooters hand, is just an icing on the cake that really does make it a better option.
Thank you, dear God, for this good life and forgive us if we do not love it enough. Thank you for the rain. And for the chance to wake up in three hours and go fishing: I thank you for that now, because I won't feel so thankful then. - Garrison Keillor

Team Georgia, Competitive Fly Fishing
Blueridgeflies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-17, 03:32 PM   #7
huntfish
Hall of Fame Member

If I'm remembering correctly, Sig was the only manufacturer who met the specifications and provided multiple options for the same handgun. Need a 40 instead of the 9mm, just switch out the slide, barrel and magazine.
huntfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-17, 06:18 PM   #8
JOHNKIES
Hall of Fame Member

Default John Glenn

John Glenn was quoted on lifting off on his shuttle mission at age 70 or whatever, he told his fellow crew members - young enough to be his kids - something like "you about to leave earth at 20,000 mph on a large bullet built by a contractor who had the lowest bid to build this".

At the end of the day, while I highly value anything American made, if we are going to send people to hostile zones we should be certain they have the very best gear. Not necessarily the cheapest or made in one specific country. We owe them at least that much.
JOHNKIES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-17, 08:41 PM   #9
Brotherbear
Native

Sig took the European military market in the 1970 era when suitable replacements were needed for Walther & I believe Sig was the only one to provide a gun that complied. I own a P225 from that era and that is a well built gun. I have the leather holster and original box & cleaning kit with the Austrian soldiers name on the box.
Old 03-08-17, 10:43 PM   #10
terry creech
Director, Hall of Fame Member

My nephew works armed security at a nuclear plant. Have always used P229s and the nuke regulatory agency recently bought 320s. Then, they opted for the Sig subgun and will stop carrying handguns almost altogether. This resulted from force on force training where handguns were almost never employed (just rifles). Your tax dollars at work?

Good news, they're gonna sell off the 320s (still new in box) for $250. I'm not a .40 fan but told the nephew I'd like 2 if he can get them. He likes the gun even though he's a Glock fan like his uncle, so will see. Employees may get them all before relatives have any priority.
"Good things come to those who wade." John 6:37
terry creech is offline   Reply With Quote