NGTO Message Board
Welcome to NGTO!
Home ] [ Membership ] [ Donations ] [ Feedback ] [ Stream Reviews ] [ Stream Reports ] [ Maps ] [ Events ] [ Articles ] [ Rules and Regulations ] [ Archives ] Message Board ] FAQ ] [ Hall of Fame ] Sponsors & Supporters ] About ] [ Witticisms ] [ Distinguished Members ]
Welcome to NGTO!

Go Back   NGTO Message Board > Fishing Reports > Chattahoochee River
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-14-17, 12:29 PM   #1
TPerrie
Stocker

Default I caught the Unicorn I've been chasing

Hello NGTO!

If there is a single person that is upset about day light savings time it certainly is not me. I was blessed with about an hour to get out on the water last night. I've been chasing a trophy brown on the hooch for a long time now. I caught a bruiser in 2013 on spin tackle but have since transitioned to 100% fly fishing. I have put in days upon days in search of the 20 incher male salmo trutta. Last night, he took it.

The first thing I noticed, was the water was a little stained and I really liked that. I was fishing much further down stream than where you see a majority of the big boys come out of, but I knew that they were there. After 15 minutes on the streamer with no enticement, I switched to a pats rubber legs, followed by a blue assassin. I had heard rumors of this big brown and knew that he is smart. I gave his location a cast, hopeful that he was there and hungry... nothing. I really liked the drift so I gave it another shot in and Boom! I thought it was a snag the way the line just stopped. I soon realized that I was fighting a bruiser. I was fishing my 10 foot 3wt syndicate and have fished this rod on the soque before so I was confident in it's back bone.

The fish took a nice run and then I eased him in and out of the current. I moved slowly behind him and before I knew what happened he was in my net!!! A quick measure revealed 23 inches! I was shaking. I was in awe. It truly did not feel real. I set my phone on the bank and took a quick video and snapped a couple screen shots. I was able to return him to his home, shaken but very well intact. I put my hook on the cork of the rod and walked out of there without another thought. As I walked back I couldn't help but let out short, but loud, yells of excitement. I could barely sleep last night, I was so excited, and to be honest, haven't been the most productive employee today either.

If you're new to fly fishing, keep grinding. Keep getting after it. Your hard work will pay off. The early and cold mornings will be nothing once you are face to face with a fish that was born in your favorite water and matured into a fish worthy of the mount. I caught my unicorn and there is one out there with your name on it too!

Tight lines

FullSizeRender.jpg
TPerrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-17, 12:39 PM   #2
walldogg79
Stocker

Great fish, man. congrats.
walldogg79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-17, 12:59 PM   #3
csharp1171
Native

Nice!
csharp1171 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-17, 01:12 PM   #4
RIVER FISHERMAN
Native

I'm in the same sitation I have been fishing now for Bass or anything I could catch and have got a few 18" bass I have the same feeling you have there is nothing like it.
I started flyfishing 6 months ago I'm not doing much good with it yet I'm doing something wrong with the flies. I've caught a few trout very few
other people can catch a bunch and I get nothing but I will keep trying.
I'm planning a fishing trip out west like THE DRIFTERS to fish some great rivers for 10 days and being the first time out there will doing a little
looking. My rivers are the SAN JUAN--FLYING PAN--ENCAMPMENT RIVERS
in SEPT-17.
KEEP ON KEEPING ON IT WILL PAY OFF
AL
RIVER FISHERMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-17, 01:35 PM   #5
JerryG
Native

Heck yea, man! Beautiful fish!
JerryG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-17, 01:40 PM   #6
Philhutch80
Native

Default Congratulations!!!!

I broke the 20in mark Sunday as well. He had an odd split in his jaw that was an injury he was healing from. Felt like that for me as well- like I hit a log until the line pulled back! Well done!
Philhutch80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-17, 01:44 PM   #7
mbailey729
Native

Awesome fish. Congrats
mbailey729 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-17, 01:54 PM   #8
Dave375
Native

Very nice, congratulations!!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Dave375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-17, 02:16 PM   #9
Trouter23
Native

Totally awesome dude. Great story and congratulations!
Old 03-14-17, 02:19 PM   #10
WesMac
Native

Wow, Nice fish! Way to put in the work for it.
WesMac is offline   Reply With Quote