NGTO Message Board
Welcome to NGTO!
Home ] [ Membership ] [ Donations ] [ Feedback ] [ Stream Reviews ] [ Stream Reports ] [ Maps ] [ Events ] [ Articles ] [ Rules and Regulations ] [ Archives ] Message Board ] FAQ ] [ Hall of Fame ] Sponsors & Supporters ] About ] [ Witticisms ] [ Distinguished Members ]
Welcome to NGTO!

Go Back   NGTO Message Board > Fishing Reports > N. Georgia Small Streams--Trout Reports
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-03-17, 06:35 AM   #1
lukesfishing
Native

Default Tug overdose - 03/31 & 04/01 North Georgia

This past weekend surprised me with one of the best fishing experiences I've ever had. There's a small stream that I like to fish that empties into a lake that has seasonal trout stockings. Usually, this stream holds a few 6-10" stream born bows that are tough to trick but extremely beautiful and satisfying fish. On Friday night, I decided to walk down to the stream to see what was happening and decompress from the traffic heading north on a Friday evening.

I hit the first hole in the stream (just downstream of a larger waterfall) and practiced some tight line nymphing on the chubs and small rainbows that inhabit the pool below the falls. After about 30 minutes or so, I went down to the next hole (also downstream of a small fall) and stared in disbelief. The run below this fall was STACKED with big bows. They were holding everywhere where there was water, and competing for the best parts of the run. They must have started to head up the stream for the pre-spawn madness.

I started with an EHC and didn't get a ton of topwater action. As I stripped the EHC back to me, an angry hen destroyed it and went acrobatic on me. ( GIF )

I stayed until there was no light left on Friday evening, ending up with about 5 to the net, which were all over 15", with the biggest guy probably getting close to 20. On Saturday, I took my girlfriend down to the hole with me, where she proceeded to give me a clinic on landing big fish by netting the biggest fish of her life on her second cast with a rubber leg (GIF).

Saturday we ended up catching four fish each before calling it a day. Most weeks out of the year you'll be able to net a "trophy" in that stream that gets to 10", I'm still in awe about the chances of lucking into a pre-spawning run from the lake. It felt amazing to catch big fish in a tiny stream on some dries and nymphs. All fish were kept wet and released to get busy on making more bows for our favorite little hole! Anyone else ever run into something like this?

Bye, fella!

Go make some more trout!
lukesfishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-17, 06:54 AM   #2
splatek16
Native

Awesome story and great fish's
Nice work

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
splatek16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-17, 07:40 AM   #3
2fly
NGTO Board of Directors, Hall Of Fame Member

Wow, that sounds like a perfect day, nice weather, beautiful scenery, big fish, and your girlfriend by your side. Congrats
2fly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-17, 09:56 AM   #4
Philhutch80
Native

Default WOW!

That is quite a day to have! Those bows are pretty stout looking for sure. Nice job and your GF totally smoked you on landing fish, but did she beat you on size?
Philhutch80 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-17, 10:49 AM   #5
lukesfishing
Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philhutch80 View Post
That is quite a day to have! Those bows are pretty stout looking for sure. Nice job and your GF totally smoked you on landing fish, but did she beat you on size?
I'm not sure....it's close. My biggest and her biggest were neck and neck, or could have been the same bow. Not a bad problem to have!
lukesfishing is offline   Reply With Quote