NGTO Message Board
Welcome to NGTO!
Home ] [ Membership ] [ Donations ] [ Feedback ] [ Stream Reviews ] [ Stream Reports ] [ Maps ] [ Events ] [ Articles ] [ Rules and Regulations ] [ Archives ] Message Board ] FAQ ] [ Hall of Fame ] Sponsors & Supporters ] About ] [ Witticisms ] [ Distinguished Members ]
Welcome to NGTO!

Go Back   NGTO Message Board > Fishing Reports > N. Georgia Small Streams--Trout Reports
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-06-17, 06:13 AM   #1
Streamside Sam
Native

Default Small Stream Jewel

Tuesday was predicted to be a sunny and clear, in between all the rainy, windy days this week, so I planned to drive to a little jewel of a small stream for a full day of fishing. Splatek16 agreed to join me, but he would have to leave his machete, rapelling gear, and compass at home, as we would not be bushwhacking and climbing waterfalls to find bluelines. We arrived streamside at about 8:30 and quickly geared up and hit the water.

[IMG][/IMG]

Splatek16 was already in the water in the attack position while I was still staring at my fly box.

[IMG][/IMG]

Water was strong, fast, and stained from the heavy rains on Monday. We caught a handful each until around lunchtime. I caught this chunky little wild ‘bow out of a tailout; took a quick picture and safely released.

[IMG][/IMG]

After PB&J's and Cliff bars streamside around noon, we hiked a couple of miles to smaller waters, above a couple of waterfalls. Splatek16 pulled a nice 10” bow out of this spot; it landed on the bank and fell back into the water. Not getting a close look we were hopeful it was a trophy brookie, but after catching a handful of ‘bows in the 4-6” range, we realized it was not a brookie.

[IMG][/IMG]

Fly of the day for me was a Sexy Walts on the bigger water, squirmy on the smaller water. I EURO nymphed all day (mostly) and caught all on the point fly, none on the tag about 16” above. Splatek16 fished his patented Wulf dry-dropper setup most of the day, I believe, and caught just about all of his on the dropper. Neither one of us put up big numbers of fish landed; lots of LDR’s for some reason.

Beautiful day and setting.

[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by Streamside Sam; 04-06-17 at 06:35 AM.
Streamside Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-17, 06:50 AM   #2
splatek16
Native

Great post @Streamsidesam
Sure was a great day on a very scenic stream catching some cool little fish with great company.

The bite was certainly not what I think either one of us expected; seemed like they were "full" (as evidenced by them being chunky, LOL) or we just weren't throwing the right stuff at them. The fish just didn't seem as opportunistic as most stream-bred/wild fish tend to be. In fact, we tossed ideas about the reason this could be for most of the day. I wonder if anyone has any insight?

I stuck with a dry-dropper for almost the entire day; switching to a nymph rig for about 30-45 minutes through some faster deeper runs. All, but one fish, the last one of the day came on a dropper that was either a flashback hare's ear or a prince; the squirmy just wasn't working for me Tuesday. Likely because I didn't have one heavy enough to contend with the increased flow rates and get down deep. #excuses

Still can't believe that big old 'bow let go of the hook - what a jerk! Obviously, he didn't know I needed a picture and not an LDR!

Here's a sample of the fish brought to hand yesterday. All about this size plus/minus an inch or so. Small or not, they sure are beautiful and fun to catch!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image1 (12).jpg (52.2 KB, 32 views)
splatek16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-17, 08:58 AM   #3
The Snag Whisperer
Native

Nice report and good looking fish! What was being dropped off of the Wulf that kept coming unbuttoned?
The Snag Whisperer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-17, 11:00 AM   #4
78Dawg
Native

Default Had to be a fun day

Great images and some beautiful fish. It's quite obvious you're a seasoned veteran. Looked like a great day fishing.
78Dawg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-17, 11:19 AM   #5
I_got_skunked
Native

That's a pretty stream, sure enough.
Old 04-06-17, 07:34 PM   #6
Deerhuntingdawg
Native

Pretty spot you have👍
Deerhuntingdawg is offline   Reply With Quote