NGTO Message Board
Welcome to NGTO!
Home ] [ Membership ] [ Donations ] [ Feedback ] [ Stream Reviews ] [ Stream Reports ] [ Maps ] [ Events ] [ Articles ] [ Rules and Regulations ] [ Archives ] Message Board ] FAQ ] [ Hall of Fame ] Sponsors & Supporters ] About ] [ Witticisms ] [ Distinguished Members ]
Welcome to NGTO!

Go Back   NGTO Message Board > NGTO Fishing Forums > Fishing Tips and Techniques
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-18-17, 05:54 AM   #1
eyeflyfish
Native

Default For those who fish <6 times a year

Back when I was able to fish frequently, at least once a month, I seemed to be able to get in the water and start catching fish. Now it seems to take me 30-45 minutes to even get a look from a fish and at least two missed hook sets before I find a rhythm and start catching fish.
I don't know if getting older and slower is the cause. Surely I don't forget that much between trips. Muscle habits may take some refreshing?

Just curious if others suffer this situation.
eyeflyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-17, 01:12 PM   #2
retiredmp
BOD Member, Hall of Fame Member

I have found practicing my cast a few minutes daily, keeps the rust knocked off from my skills.

It's easy to tell when I have be diligent and smartly practicing and when I've either skipped or poorly executed casting practice.

Tight Lines.

"Not every Soldier is a Joe"

You can support the NGTO Mission Statement and Help Ease DNR's Budget Woes. Buy a TU License Plate!
retiredmp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-17, 10:13 AM   #3
Stinkbait
Native

I definitely show the rust. Particularly on hook sets. Either too late or too hard - throwing missed sets into the trees behind me - or both.
Stinkbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-17, 08:57 PM   #4
troutbum69
Native

eye, surely in Hoschton you can find some farm ponds or neighborhood ponds with bream and bass. Get out there every once and a while and mess with those fish. Poppers on a 3 wt keep your casting sharp, and the takes will help your reactions catch back up. It beats casting in the yard...

"Stop Whining"
troutbum69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-17, 09:39 PM   #5
csharp1171
Native

I agree with @troutbum69. I don't get out near as much as I would like due to life and the numerous other hobbies I have. I'm fortunate enough to have a pond on my property that I can fish anytime I want. Catching bream and bass on a fly rod is better than nothing and keeps the "rust" from building up too much. I tend to get lazy casting with the open water unless I focus on trying to hit a specific spot.
csharp1171 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-17, 09:42 PM   #6
csharp1171
Native

Also, the bream are incredibly stupid and will take darn near anything so it's hard to practice casting in the pond. First world problems I know.
csharp1171 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-17, 05:29 AM   #7
eyeflyfish
Native

I like the pond suggestion. In fact there are two within 500 yards of the house. Casting isn't the rusty part. It is setting the hook. It seems for the first 20-30 minutes I'm a hair too slow.
Old 05-02-17, 06:12 AM   #8
Big T
BOD HOF SSQTCH

The problem lies in the title to the post. What is wrong with you people? How do you even survive fishing that little?

Use Promo Code NGTO for 5% off
Big T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-17, 09:08 AM   #9
eyeflyfish
Native

I gotta tell you Big T it is not easy. I hope there is some sympathy for those that struggle through life in our situations.

I had a few years when I was able to fish one day a week and that was wonderful. Now I am lucky if I get in 6-7 days a year. My goal is to put in 3 more years of this unfortunate circumstance, turn the goat farm over to my daughter and fish 2-3 days a week. Prayers appreciated.
Old 05-02-17, 10:00 AM   #10
iso1600
Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big T View Post
The problem lies in the title to the post. What is wrong with you people? How do you even survive fishing that little?
HAHA I was thinking the same thing!
I might not get on a trout stream more than 6 times/trips per year, but I fish prob 1-2 times a week minimum.