NGTO Message Board
Welcome to NGTO!
Home ] [ Membership ] [ Donations ] [ Feedback ] [ Stream Reviews ] [ Stream Reports ] [ Maps ] [ Events ] [ Articles ] [ Rules and Regulations ] [ Archives ] Message Board ] FAQ ] [ Hall of Fame ] Sponsors & Supporters ] About ] [ Witticisms ] [ Distinguished Members ]
Welcome to NGTO!

Go Back   NGTO Message Board > NGTO Sponsor Forums > Fern Valley
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-01-17, 12:09 PM   #1
WPrich
Native

Default Fern on 4/29

On Saturday I made my first trip to fish Fern Valley with 2fly as my guide. First I want to say that the owners Mrs. Glad and Mr. Marty we're great and very welcoming hosts, they have a gem up there and I'm glad they share it with us fishermen. As for the fishing it was a good day but they never keyed in on any one pattern except eggs which would turn off quick, so it wasn't a big numbers day for me. I started off the day tightlining, and landed about 5 chubs then I broke off 2 pig bows because I panicked during the fight. We then moved up some and fished a few areas where I landed some bows and a brown tightlining before moving on to trying some dry dropper fishing. Had no hits on the dropper, but did have 3 hit the dry and I landed 1 of them a small wild rainbow about 8 inches and missed the others. Pretty much tighlined the rest of the day and ended up with 6 or 7 bows in the 16+ range, 3 smaller wild bows,1 brown around 14, and probably around 10 or more chubs. Most fish were caught tightlining eggs, mops, and nymphs and surprising no fish hit any worm patterns. The largest fish was probably around 22 and thick, it ran me down the river 40+ yards before we were able to get it in the net and it was my first pig of the day. The one brown came on a duracell nymph in size 14 that I picked up from Orvis and decided to try it out. I had a great day and had a great person in Pat(2fly) showing me around, he put me on some fish and I was able to land my PB rainbow and brown both on the same day. I feel I made improvements in tightlining, learned how to fight and land large fish, and I improved my casting but I know I still have more to work on. My one regret from the day is that I missed my one chance at the elusive Palomino by setting the hook to late when one finally bit and I didn't get my first brookie. If you've never been to fern guys Its worth a trip, I enjoyed it and think I'll be treating myself to a trip at least once a year up there.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Last edited by WPrich; 05-01-17 at 12:15 PM.
WPrich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-17, 12:22 PM   #2
WPrich
Native

Few more pics of a fun day

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Last edited by WPrich; 05-01-17 at 01:07 PM.
Old 05-01-17, 12:49 PM   #3
Buck Henry
Former NGTO President, Sith Lord, FKA Bhuk Henri

Good report and love the pics!

Buck Henry
Simple Goat Herder
Former NGTO President
Hall of Fame Member
Buck Henry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-17, 02:53 PM   #4
splatek16

Nice fish!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
splatek16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-17, 04:02 PM   #5
Big T
BOD HOF SSQTCH

Great job, great place!

Use Promo Code NGTO for 5% off
Big T is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-17, 05:04 PM   #6
2fly
Ex-BOD, Hall Of Fame Member, Ex-Angler

Had a blast fishing with Richard. If you ever get a chance to meet him on the hooch, he's a great all around guy. The first couple of fish that broke off is on me, I usually take some time in the parking lot to go over things like that but didn't do that this time. Richard did great tightlining and overall line management and drift control was really good. Just tweaked a couple of things. Like Richard said, the fish at Fern have seen a lot of flies so fooling them is not an easy task. I was a little surprised that naturals didn't really work that well. They actually worked real well on the chubs but not so much on the pigs. Eggs were the most consistent with a stonefly pattern slightly below that. All in all, great day on the water and watching Richard play the big fish of the day was a joy. He did everything right to get that one in the net as it ran way downstream and even headed for a log jam. Congrats on your biggest fish but i'm guessing it won't take you long to surpass those.
2fly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-17, 09:19 PM   #7
Dtroutmann
Native

Great fish and reports

Trophies are relative
Dtroutmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-17, 10:14 PM   #8
Dave375
Native

Outstanding report WPrich!
I'm glad you had such a good day. That second picture is a really good one.
Dave375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-17, 04:01 PM   #9
WPrich
Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2fly View Post
All in all, great day on the water and watching Richard play the big fish of the day was a joy. He did everything right to get that one in the net as it ran way downstream and even headed for a log jam. Congrats on your biggest fish but i'm guessing it won't take you long to surpass those.
I enjoyed getting that big fish in, I thought once it got to that log jam I had lost it. I believe that PB bow will last for a while for me(until I get to Fern again), but I believe I can catch a new PB brown on the hooch if I get lucky.
Old 05-02-17, 04:10 PM   #10
WPrich
Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave375 View Post
Outstanding report WPrich!
I'm glad you had such a good day. That second picture is a really good one.
Thanks Dave, that was my largest landed I believe the first one I lost may have been bigger but not sure they all put such a good bend in the rod!!!