NGTO Message Board
Welcome to NGTO!
Home ] [ Membership ] [ Donations ] [ Feedback ] [ Stream Reviews ] [ Stream Reports ] [ Maps ] [ Events ] [ Articles ] [ Rules and Regulations ] [ Archives ] Message Board ] FAQ ] [ Hall of Fame ] Sponsors & Supporters ] About ] [ Witticisms ] [ Distinguished Members ]
Welcome to NGTO!

Go Back   NGTO Message Board > NGTO Fishing Forums > Fishing Tips and Techniques
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-21-17, 09:13 AM   #1
Vance1012
Native

Question Questions on fishing for shoal bass with a fly rod

Alright so I have a 7wt rod and reel that I've had for a bit and just hadn't figured out how to use it and have decided I wanna rig it for shoal bass. Question I have is pretty much the basics, I mean what line should I use(sink tip or floating). What kinda flys and techniques. Any tips would be helpful. Help me catch not only my first bass on the fly but first shoal bass.
Old 05-21-17, 12:26 PM   #2
ferrulewax
Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vance1012 View Post
Alright so I have a 7wt rod and reel that I've had for a bit and just hadn't figured out how to use it and have decided I wanna rig it for shoal bass. Question I have is pretty much the basics, I mean what line should I use(sink tip or floating). What kinda flys and techniques. Any tips would be helpful. Help me catch not only my first bass on the fly but first shoal bass.
Definitely a floating line. I Like a 7wt titan taper, or a slightly over weighted line like an MPX or similar, but any floating line should do fine. I just like the aggressive head to help cast bigger flies. For flies- Kent Edmond's Stealth Bomber (he is a member on here), Boogle Bugs (or a similar popper), harry Fodders (Heavy craw-fish pattern) and then just some simple bait-fish flies- like a clouser minnow.

I have the best luck fishing top-water poppers like you would a dry fly, with very natural drifts, twitching only occasionally. make sure to fish it under branches and around lay-downs, as the bass will lie under them to wait for terrestrials. Another good tactic is high sticking a craw-fish around ledges and shoals to entice hiding fish. Stand behind a good looking lie, cast above the rock, and fish the fly like a nymph. at the end of the drift I like to strip it back in to imitate a fleeing crawdad. Streamers can be fished just like you would for trout. Another effective technique can be popper dropper with something like a wooly bugger or RLD below your top-water fly.

My Instagram
Unicoi Outfitters
ferrulewax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-17, 02:11 PM   #3
ChefKy
Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrulewax View Post
Definitely a floating line. I Like a 7wt titan taper, or a slightly over weighted line like an MPX or similar, but any floating line should do fine. I just like the aggressive head to help cast bigger flies. For flies- Kent Edmond's Stealth Bomber (he is a member on here), Boogle Bugs (or a similar popper), harry Fodders (Heavy craw-fish pattern) and then just some simple bait-fish flies- like a clouser minnow.

I have the best luck fishing top-water poppers like you would a dry fly, with very natural drifts, twitching only occasionally. make sure to fish it under branches and around lay-downs, as the bass will lie under them to wait for terrestrials. Another good tactic is high sticking a craw-fish around ledges and shoals to entice hiding fish. Stand behind a good looking lie, cast above the rock, and fish the fly like a nymph. at the end of the drift I like to strip it back in to imitate a fleeing crawdad. Streamers can be fished just like you would for trout. Another effective technique can be popper dropper with something like a wooly bugger or RLD below your top-water fly.

Dude what a great set of tips. I used to use the popper dropper so much on seatrout back in the day. Then I completely forgot about it. Can't wait to give it a go again.

-Tom Brokaw-
ChefKy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-17, 03:15 PM   #4
Vance1012
Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrulewax View Post

Thank you this is exactly what I was looking for now just to get some stuff tied up and hit the water hopefully some time soon.
Old 05-21-17, 06:32 PM   #5
Kent
Hall of Fame Member

A few ideas here...

flyfishga.com/flint.htm
Old 08-03-17, 03:06 PM   #6
Stinkbait
Native

Book Kent for a day and you'll learn in a hurry and have a great time.
Stinkbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-17, 09:04 AM   #7
Riverpirate
Native

I like a front loaded line like the RIO InTiuch Outbound Short. All of the flies mentioned are good and the Stealth Bomber is one of my favorite. But even the lowly Wooly Bugger catches lots of shoal bass. And don't forget the Harry Fodder as a crawfish imitation.

7wt is in my opinion the perfect shoal bass weight.
Old 08-26-17, 12:44 PM   #8
Counslrman
Hall of Fame Member

...something like this...:

Attachment 17197

...or my favorite...an olive and black wooly bugger with orange mylar tinsel...

Blessings!

Jimmy

P.S. ...shoalies are suckers for a dead drift near blowdowns and undercut rock banks...

Last edited by Counslrman; 10-07-17 at 09:15 AM.
Counslrman is offline   Reply With Quote