NGTO Message Board
Welcome to NGTO!
Home ] [ Membership ] [ Donations ] [ Feedback ] [ Stream Reviews ] [ Stream Reports ] [ Maps ] [ Events ] [ Articles ] [ Rules and Regulations ] [ Archives ] Message Board ] FAQ ] [ Hall of Fame ] Sponsors & Supporters ] About ] [ Witticisms ] [ Distinguished Members ]
Welcome to NGTO!

Go Back   NGTO Message Board > Fishing Reports > N. Georgia Small Streams--Trout Reports
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-24-17, 11:09 AM   #1
Streamside Sam
Native

Default Specks and Shredded Frenchies

The last couple of weeks I was able to get out to several small, wild streams.

Found these beautiful wild bows one day last week while “flying” solo

Splatek16 finds blueline speck streams like most people find change in the sofa, so he agreed to show me a prospective stream yesterday that he had intel on. Hard rain, slippery slopes, and tight canopy made for a rough couple of hours. We did manage a few of these.

We regrouped after lunch and hit some wild ‘bow water for a few hours. The weather cleared and the fishing heated up. I caught this big slob early into the afternoon session. Never seen my 2-wt bend so much. Could have used him at Monster Quest a couple of weeks ago. A few minutes later Splatek caught him as well. Nymph still stuck in it’s mouth.

We caught probably 40+ wild bows total in ~2.5 hours. This is Splatek16 with a nice, healthy wild 'bow and trusty Eagle Claw nearby.

Fly of the day was a size 14 Frenchie. Gave a few to Splatek as he recently lost his nymph box while being chased by a panther or something. This is how he gave it back to me LOL. Should have expected that, as he was catching fish on most every cast in the afternoon session.
BEFORE & AFTER

We wet waded pretty hard, including sliding down a long, steep embankment to get into one stream, and then grabbing onto roots, vines, and clumps of grass to climb up and out.

Yesterday’s tally: 40+ beautiful wild bows, 2 slob bows, 3 shredded Frenchies, handful of specks, 2 WMA’s, 4 PBJ’s, and ZERO other people on the water.

Great couple of weeks.

Last edited by Streamside Sam; 05-24-17 at 01:22 PM.
Streamside Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-17, 11:44 AM   #2
Killer Kyle
Native

That's as good as fishing gets! I love those nights after a blue line trip when I pull in the driveway after dark, and don't even get out of the car. I just lay my seat back and rest because my legs are so tired, and I've been sweating for the last ten hours, hurdling fallen logs and bulldozing rhodo. Those are the best days. That is the best feeling.
Awesome report, and KILLER rainbow!
Killer Kyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-17, 11:53 AM   #3
DoubleRainbow
Native

Great report and photos! Looks like you and Splatek had a legendary day, especially with that lunker rainbow!
DoubleRainbow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-17, 12:47 PM   #4
Fly_dawg
Stocker

Awesome report.. I love the before and after fly photo!

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
Fly_dawg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-17, 01:03 PM   #5
Big T
BOD Member, Hall of Fame

Awesome report thanks for sharing!
Old 05-24-17, 01:30 PM   #6
retiredmp
BOD Member, Hall of Fame Member

I enjoy reading the fishing reports and adventures associated on blue lines. I am so jealous as this year I'm unable to navigate the terrain to fish one. Hopefully, will recover from knee surgery and be ready to make such attempts in 2018.

"Not every Soldier is a Joe"

You can support the NGTO Mission Statement and Help Ease DNR's Budget Woes. Buy a TU License Plate!
retiredmp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-17, 01:31 PM   #7
buckman1
Native

Sweeeet! Looks like an awesome day!
buckman1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-17, 01:55 PM   #8
splatek16
Native

@Streamsidesam and I certainly had a day yesterday, but he's too kind with words.

The speck stream was fun, rain, bushwhacking, all the typical nonsense involved in fishing for five inch long fish, haha. Wouldn't trade it.

That stream of bows was ridiculous.

At first, The fish were hunkered down deep and I had zero hits on my dry and I thought to myself, "what in the h*** kind of wild fish are these that they won't crush my dry fly?" Then, he caught that slab of meat, after the release I could barely keep them off the dry or the Frenchie which I had riding pretty high in the water column. My hypothesis: those small, typical sized, wild fish didn't wanna become trout mcnuggets for the big fella and we're staying low and outta sight.

That after picture was after easily twenty fish, and even in that condition they were still hitting it... They were furiously crushing flies, and fighting good for little fish.

A few more pictures just for good measure

And at the end of the day, let's be honest and all admit that the prettiest thing in the op is my eagle claw lanyard. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
splatek16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-17, 07:52 PM   #9
Deerhuntingdawg
Native

Good write up ya'll!! Looks like a fruitful trip!!
Deerhuntingdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-17, 07:53 PM   #10
Deerhuntingdawg
Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer Kyle View Post
That's as good as fishing gets! I love those nights after a blue line trip when I pull in the driveway after dark, and don't even get out of the car. I just lay my seat back and rest because my legs are so tired, and I've been sweating for the last ten hours, hurdling fallen logs and bulldozing rhodo. Those are the best days. That is the best feeling.
Awesome report, and KILLER rainbow!
That's exactly what I was thinking!! Sprinkle in a 2 1/2 to 3 hr ride home and that's me lol
Deerhuntingdawg is offline   Reply With Quote