NGTO Message Board
Welcome to NGTO!
Home ] [ Membership ] [ Donations ] [ Feedback ] [ Stream Reviews ] [ Stream Reports ] [ Maps ] [ Events ] [ Articles ] [ Rules and Regulations ] [ Archives ] Message Board ] FAQ ] [ Hall of Fame ] Sponsors & Supporters ] About ] [ Witticisms ] [ Distinguished Members ]
Welcome to NGTO!

Go Back   NGTO Message Board > Other NGTO Forums > Food & Cooking
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-29-17, 09:47 AM   #11
REDTOP
Hall Of Fame Member, Moderator

I am a fan of Troll Tavern myself. Wurst and red cabbage is what I usually get. I spent 2 years in Germany and ate lots of German food. The food in Helen is a reasonable facsimile at best but still tasty.
Old 06-30-17, 09:09 AM   #12
hendley97
Native

Troll Tavern is a family favorite. I like the Nacacoochee Tavern, decent pizza and beer and right across from our friends at the Unicoi shop. Hoffer's for breakfast. Yonah burger headed out is usally a tasty after a day of fishin. Bout it.
hendley97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-17, 03:34 PM   #13
JOHNKIES
Hall of Fame Member

Thumbs up Poor Helen ...........

Poor Helen. Everyone likes to poke fun at her including myself! But. Back when there was a little mountain town where all the work had gone elsewhere and the whole town was on it's way to being a wide spot in the road where an old town used to be. But this little town hitched up their lederhosen, pulled their Tryolian hats down snug and went to work to recreate themselves as "an alpine village". And it worked! So a tip of my funny hat with the shaving brush to the good people of Helen who did not give up and run. There are a lot of communities who could learn a great deal from their experience.

--jk--
JOHNKIES is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-17, 09:04 PM   #14
Windknot
Director, Hall of Fame Member, Secretary

Many thanks for the Bodensee rec! Two years in Germany...it took me half a year to discover that German food was not all "grease and potatoes!"

There was a good restaurant in an allee downtown, but they closed their doors.

Want to Help Ease DNR's Budget Woes? Buy a TU license Plate!
Windknot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-17, 09:16 PM   #15
Brotherbear
Native

I believe my friend Steve Guthrie owned Troll?
Old 07-03-17, 03:59 PM   #16
hendley97
Native

Got back last night from a quick fun trip to the redneck riveria of North GA. Stayed at Unicoi in a room with a loft, kids gave it an A+ as they had a "play room/fort". Dinner at Nacoocheee tavern for some tasty pizza, lunch at Troll laughing at tubers, breakfast at Cimmi's Cafe (good biscuits), dinner at Old Bavaria Inn (cheesy but the kids loved the accordian player). Hiked Anna Ruby, did Babyland General (where they are freakin printing $$$$), zip lined at Cool River, smores by the fire, and just sat in rocking chairs stairing at them mountains. Didn't even take a rod so as to enjoy time with the family. Helen is good for fishing but also just some good old family time, cheesy town or not.
hendley97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-17, 04:16 PM   #17
Buck Henry
Former NGTO President, Sith Lord, FKA Bhuk Henri

Quote:
Originally Posted by hendley97 View Post
Got back last night from a quick fun trip to the redneck riveria of North GA. Stayed at Unicoi in a room with a loft, kids gave it an A+ as they had a "play room/fort". Dinner at Nacoocheee tavern for some tasty pizza, lunch at Troll laughing at tubers, breakfast at Cimmi's Cafe (good biscuits), dinner at Old Bavaria Inn (cheesy but the kids loved the accordian player). Hiked Anna Ruby, did Babyland General (where they are freakin printing $$$$), zip lined at Cool River, smores by the fire, and just sat in rocking chairs stairing at them mountains. Didn't even take a rod so as to enjoy time with the family. Helen is good for fishing but also just some good old family time, cheesy town or not.
Your "non-fish report" made me smile; way to go Sean! I did the same thing down in Melbourne Beach last. No fishing at all. We spent the week sitting on the beach reading trashy crime novels and drinking some great mojito's.

PS: hard to believe I can tie my recent trip to the beach with this German restaurant thread, but there is a serious 5 star German restaurant in Melbourne Beach called Coconut Cove. We always eat there when we vacation down that way.

Buck Henry
Simple Goat Herder
Former NGTO President
Hall of Fame Member
Buck Henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-17, 08:25 PM   #18
buckman1
Native

Not sure if it's considered German, but there is a helluva bakery on the upstream side of Helen. It's very much not uncommon for me to stop there and get an apple fritter on the ride to the office in the mornings...
buckman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-17, 09:12 PM   #19
GoutUnlimited
Red Menace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mog View Post
Agree 100%. Bodensee is excellent! Many authentic dishes. Some of the best German dishes I've had anywhere. I highly recommend it even to a German native.
And, no, I don't know the owners. I just really like that restaurant.
Oh man...Generally stray away from the schnitzel and sausage and go right in for the pig knuckle. Chase it down with some strudel then go across for an espresso at Higher coffee so I don't keel over while checking out the glockenspiels.
Our enemies are those in league with imperialism- the warlords, the bureaucrats, the comprador class and the reactionary section of the intelligentsia attached to them. The leading force in our revolution is the industrial proletariat. Our closest friends are the entire semi-proletariat and petty bourgeoisie. As for the vacillating middle bourgeoisie, the left wing may become our enemies, and their right wing may become our friend. Our enemies are all around us. We must always be on our guard.
GoutUnlimited is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-17, 11:49 PM   #20
troutbum69
Native

My favorite Helen dining experience was my most recent one. Go in for a quick bite. Looking for pizza or dogs, whatever just want it to be fast with a beer.
Order 3 club sandwiches for 3 guys and grab a beer to wait. The salty bastard waiting the place was wearing a penn reels redfish shirt from about 1995. Around beer 3 we had his back story figured out. He was on a motorcycle trip up "north" as Floridians do, got in a disagreement with someone and ended up on parole in white county hence his disdain for everyday life in the area. Around beer 4 we get our "quick, easy to prepare food" and I was married soon enough after. If beer is proof god loves us, helen is proof that sometimes even god has to use the restroom

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"Stop Whining"
troutbum69 is offline   Reply With Quote