NGTO Message Board
Welcome to NGTO!
Home ] [ Membership ] [ Donations ] [ Feedback ] [ Stream Reviews ] [ Stream Reports ] [ Maps ] [ Events ] [ Articles ] [ Rules and Regulations ] [ Archives ] Message Board ] FAQ ] [ Hall of Fame ] Sponsors & Supporters ] About ] [ Witticisms ] [ Distinguished Members ]
Welcome to NGTO!

Go Back   NGTO Message Board > Fishing Reports > Chattahoochee River
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-28-17, 07:19 AM   #1
kmattson
Native

Default Lower Dam Pool 6/26

After an amazing day of fishing on Coopers Creek, we decided to stay closer to home as the drive up and back to the great northern areas was a bit much.

Arriving at the river a bit after 10:30 Yes a late start, Coopers Creek managed to destroy a pair of wading boots and Bass Pro was not open until 10 am) the water was up a bit from Friday. We headed south towards Bowmans to try some nymphing. After throwing everything but my fly box at the fish, I switched over to a wooly bugger and landed a rainbow. Frustrated with the fishing, and the darn Blue Heron who was following me, I took a break on the rock and just relaxed for a while.

While sitting on the rock, the Gwinnett Police helo decided to make its presence and I watched as they proceeded to touchdown and take off along the river. Amazing skill of the pilot, as I was looking for a safe place if they hit the water!

After that amusement, the fish turned on the light switch. They started feeding on everything and anything on the surface. I looked and looked for any sign as to what they were feeding on, but was at a loss so I put on an ant. Within the first few casts, I landed the first of 9 browns on a row before losing the fly. My 1st lesson for the day, a 66 3 wt was no challenges for the large brown who decided he wanted the fly. I watched him rise to my fly, set the hook, and he was pissed off and tore off downriver and took me into backing within a few seconds. I did my best for 2 more runs and then he was gone. Balancing on a rock in the hooch with deep holes around me, this fish was more than I could handle without swimming downstream with him.

In total, we brought 19 (mostly browns, but a few FAT rainbows mixed in)

Lesson #2 When the siren sounds, EXIT the water! Thankfully we had worked our way up to the ramp when the first siren sounded. Upon hearing the siren, we proceeded to exit the water with one other fisherman and to our surprise, by the time we hit the shoreline the water was visibly rising. By the time the 2nd siren sounded the water was up close to 2 feet. I thought the siren provided a bit more time. But clearly not. And yes, we did check the release schedule and also listed to the radio report on the way in. This one caught me off guard and caught a few others we spoke with afterward also!

All said, it was by far my best day of fishing here in GA and one of the best of all time. It still amazes me the resiliency of this fishery and the beauty of the fish it holds!

Last edited by kmattson; 08-21-17 at 11:26 AM.
kmattson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-17, 07:37 AM   #2
mbailey729
Native

Great post and some gorgeous fish
mbailey729 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-17, 09:08 AM   #3
gau16
Native

Wow those fish are awesome. The browns and nice and healthy and that rainbow is FAT.

Great report.

You ended up catching some on drys then? A certain size work best?
gau16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-17, 09:29 AM   #4
kmattson
Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by gau16 View Post
Wow those fish are awesome. The browns and nice and healthy and that rainbow is FAT.

Great report.

You ended up catching some on drys then? A certain size work best?
I caught each one, with the exception of the first rainbow on dries. The majority were caught using a flying ant size 18, I did managed to get a few to rise to a BWO size 18 and then a 22.

KSM
Old 06-28-17, 03:26 PM   #5
JerryG
Native

Nice fish. Sucks about all the break off stories lately.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
JerryG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-17, 04:53 PM   #6
gau16
Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmattson View Post
I caught each one, with the exception of the first rainbow on dries. The majority were caught using a flying ant size 18, I did managed to get a few to rise to a BWO size 18 and then a 22.

KSM
Nice, thanks for that info. I usually nymph but I do like throwing dries. It's almost even more relaxing because how easy they cast.

I may have to add some smaller dries and experiment more with them. Curious to know what sizes other people use so thanks again for sharing.
gau16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-17, 08:59 PM   #7
Dtroutmann
Native

All nice but that brown is amazing

Trophies are relative
Dtroutmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-17, 07:18 AM   #8
kmattson
Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtroutmann View Post
All nice but that brown is amazing
He was beautiful, the picture does him no favors. His color was the deepest gold I have sever seen on a Brownie before. Sorry for the picture, I try not to touch the fish and he clearly didn't want his picture taken.

Last night in the rain, no the downpours we landed another one much smaller but just as gold as he was. This one was only about 12 inches, but already started developing a bottom hook jaw and again the colors! These fish really speak to the resiliency and health of this fishery! Sorry no pictures, the raid was a bit much.
Old 06-30-17, 08:38 AM   #9
browniez
Native

Location: Chidspain Run, Delooth (Wells Fargo Call Center Interpretation)

Ah I believe it was you my buddy and I saw in our kayaks! They did change the release schedule on us.

You had a very nice brown on and we both stopped to watch the festivities. He was an angry one for sure!

We got down to the island and had to help 3 pi$$ drunk fellow that had gotten their canoe sideways in a strainer as the siren went off. Gosh I hope they got out of there. We got their canoe out but the had no paddles. Not a good situation

It's hunting, not fishing.

Follow me on instagram @alexgreenfishing
browniez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-17, 09:20 AM   #10
kmattson
Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by browniez View Post
Ah I believe it was you my buddy and I saw in our kayaks! They did change the release schedule on us.

You had a very nice brown on and we both stopped to watch the festivities. He was an angry one for sure!

We got down to the island and had to help 3 pi$$ drunk fellow that had gotten their canoe sideways in a strainer as the siren went off. Gosh I hope they got out of there. We got their canoe out but the had no paddles. Not a good situation

Yes that was me and yes that painful memory reinforced the need to double check your knots. The knot just came out and that amazing fish now has a lip ring that looks like an ant. He was an angry fish but with some finess, he would have been landed!

The release was amazing. It totally caught me off guard and I can see how anyone who wasn't in immediate access to the shore would have been in trouble! There was also a well-seasoned gentleman who was down near Bowmans and he came up and told us he got out just in time also.

Glad to meet you, next time maybe I can have you net the fish for me before I loose him!

Kris