NGTO Message Board
Welcome to NGTO!
Home ] [ Membership ] [ Donations ] [ Feedback ] [ Stream Reviews ] [ Stream Reports ] [ Maps ] [ Events ] [ Articles ] [ Rules and Regulations ] [ Archives ] Message Board ] FAQ ] [ Hall of Fame ] Sponsors & Supporters ] About ] [ Witticisms ] [ Distinguished Members ]
Welcome to NGTO!

Go Back   NGTO Message Board > Gear Talk > Watercraft
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-02-17, 12:20 PM   #1
paulH
Native

Default Fly fishing rafts

Recently purchased land in West Jefferson, NC with the New River near by. We have floated it with canoes but have been thinking about a fishing raft setup since this river has lots of shoals and can get pretty shallow in spots. I believe a drift boat might end up dragging but could be wrong. A raft could be deflated in winter to take up less space but still the trailer would exist. Been looking at different setups available. Would love any opinions and experience from people that have ever owned them.
paulH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-17, 04:17 PM   #2
Magoo
Native

I've got a Hyside Mini Max that, at only 10.5 ft, rides nicely in the back of my truck. No trailer needed. I set mine up for two people, but it could fit another seat (and is rated R6). They had three of them at the NOC sale last year.
Magoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-17, 06:03 PM   #3
Warmouth
Native

Location: Boise, ID by way of Opelika AL, by way of East Tennessee

I've been fishing out of one of these quite a bit in the last year or so. I like drift boats much better but this is a great setup. NRS is good quality. Also available in a 13' model.

https://www.nrs.com/product/11419/nr...ishing-package

And now, I pray thee, take thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field and hunt me venison. Genesis 27:3
Warmouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-17, 08:33 PM   #4
daviddrummond79
Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulH View Post
Recently purchased land in West Jefferson, NC with the New River near by. We have floated it with canoes but have been thinking about a fishing raft setup since this river has lots of shoals and can get pretty shallow in spots. I believe a drift boat might end up dragging but could be wrong. A raft could be deflated in winter to take up less space but still the trailer would exist. Been looking at different setups available. Would love any opinions and experience from people that have ever owned them.
I have a Flycraft and it's perfect for shoalie skinny water and it's the perfect size for me to throw in the back of my truck by myself, no trailer needed. Only drawback is it's a two person raft with a potential for third (kid seated on the rack which is a new option they just started doing). Not sure if that fits the bill but it's a great option depending on what you are looking for.
Old 07-04-17, 09:50 PM   #5
troutbum69
Native

My buddy has the three person NRS and it's a great craft. But on slower shoalie water it's a dog to ferry side to side and hold a spot. I've always wondered if those fly crafts are the sports cars they claim to be

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"Stop Whining"
troutbum69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-17, 09:52 PM   #6
troutbum69
Native

Don't rule out a towee either. Little more money than a raft but not by much relative to the NRS setup

"Stop Whining"
Old 07-05-17, 10:56 AM   #7
AK Pipeline
Native

Default me too

I've been in the market for a raft/boat for about a year now. This is one that has me very tempted and may suit your needs: https://smithfly.myshopify.com/products/big-shoals-raft
The flycraft looks sweet as well.
AK Pipeline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-17, 12:02 PM   #8
Bamajo
Stocker

Someone posted about this a while back. It is like the small rafts you can buy and then you can order the components to make a frame. I've been pondering it but not sure how it would hold up long term. The NRS components would be top quality though.
http://www.saturnrafts.com/12-saturn-raft-kayak.html
Bamajo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-17, 03:04 PM   #9
wlinn
Native

Location: At large occasionally I am in Ellijay or Blue Ridge for months

Great information
wlinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-17, 08:19 PM   #10
troutbum69
Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamajo View Post
Someone posted about this a while back. It is like the small rafts you can buy and then you can order the components to make a frame. I've been pondering it but not sure how it would hold up long term. The NRS components would be top quality though.

http://www.saturnrafts.com/12-saturn-raft-kayak.html

Wow if I'd have known about this I probably wouldn't have built a drifter. That is a slick setup. Throw a homemade frame on there and good probably 8? Foot oars you have a legit craft. With a trailer and sawyers you're still under 2k

"Stop Whining"