NGTO Message Board
Welcome to NGTO!
Home ] [ Membership ] [ Donations ] [ Feedback ] [ Stream Reviews ] [ Stream Reports ] [ Maps ] [ Events ] [ Articles ] [ Rules and Regulations ] [ Archives ] Message Board ] FAQ ] [ Hall of Fame ] Sponsors & Supporters ] About ] [ Witticisms ] [ Distinguished Members ]
Welcome to NGTO!

Go Back   NGTO Message Board > Gear Talk > Watercraft
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-09-17, 08:35 PM   #11
swamp
Native

Well, i just realized that troutbum69 and warmouth have boat projects on this forum.
One thing I've learned from my stitch and glue project is troutbum and warmouth
have some serious wood working and boatbuilding skills. Cutting those compound angles and getting a nice tight fit ,is not easy.
Don't have to worry about it so much with stitch and glue ,you can hide mistakes with fillets. Not so with the boats their building,you've got to know what you're doing.
Anyway,
I covered the sides on my little boat with 6oz.fiberglass cloth and
loosely clamped one of the outside gunwale strips on each side.
I'm going to let them sit there for a day or so .

swamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-17, 09:59 PM   #12
78Dawg
Native

Don't sell yourself short Swamp. You too have some serious boat building skills! That thing is sweet.
78Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-17, 03:11 AM   #13
Warmouth
Native

Location: Boise, ID by way of Opelika AL, by way of East Tennessee

Quote:
Originally Posted by 78Dawg View Post
Don't sell yourself short Swamp. You too have some serious boat building skills! That thing is sweet.
I second that. Any project of that magnitude is commendable. I would have done a stitch and glue if I didn't find the Steele boat. And I'm not a good woodworker. I have two years invested in this project and a pile of scrap lumber from mistakes to prove it.

Looking forward to following this build.

And now, I pray thee, take thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field and hunt me venison. Genesis 27:3

Last edited by Warmouth; 07-17-17 at 01:29 AM.
Warmouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-17, 01:39 PM   #14
orey10m
Native

Looks great so far man! I will be following along too. I bought a boat building book a while back about "Jordans Wood boats" and am interested in building one some day ..
(While I've mentioned it, so any of yall know much about "Jordan's " builds? Ate these other names you are mentioning different people/styles?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Old 07-16-17, 10:12 PM   #15
Swamp Angel
President

Swamp! That is freaking sweet! There's a reason I most of us purchase boats. Your skills are pretty far beyond simply "good."

I wanna see photos when she gets out on the water! She is looking magnificent!
If you have difficulty understanding the post above, read it out loud and it should make sense. This NGTO member is known for his poor hill-billy upbringing and his affinity for all things from Louisiana (particularly if it relates to LSU). It makes for a poor mix of accents and much difficulty in translation. He was doing well for so long, but now seems to have regressed.
Swamp Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-17, 04:15 PM   #16
swamp
Native

Default fiberglass woes

I haven't been able to work on my boat much lately but i did put a second layer of cloth on it.
It looks ok except for the transom.I left it to cure overnight.zThe transom had a lot of bubbles and the cloth looked wrinkled in a couple of places.I don't know what happened, it looked good when i left it. I scraped all the high spots down and now have exposed cloth where the bubbles were..should i cut out the exposed cloth or epoxy over it.
Tried to post photo of the mess but photobucket wants lots of money.
I tired fliker but no luck with them.

Last edited by swamp; 08-01-17 at 04:39 PM.
Old 08-11-17, 06:08 PM   #17
Warmouth
Native

Location: Boise, ID by way of Opelika AL, by way of East Tennessee

If your cloth did not get saturated you will need to take it off and put a new piece in.

And now, I pray thee, take thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field and hunt me venison. Genesis 27:3
Warmouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-17, 10:02 PM   #18
troutbum69
Native

Swamp do you have one of those fiberglass bubble buster things? I had one little spot like that where I barely hit it with the buster but I guess there was still air in there and when the epoxy got warm it expanded

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"Stop Whining"
troutbum69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-17, 10:07 PM   #19
troutbum69
Native

You can kinda see the spot here. I ended up just aggressively sanding it and rolling on more epoxy. However that area was mostly covered by the gunnel and is probably 5"x5"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"Stop Whining"
troutbum69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-17, 08:32 PM   #20
swamp
Native

I was afraid you would say that warmouth. I was hoping for a easy fix.
No troutbum, i don't have one of those bubble buster roller things,but i will
before i do any more glassing.I scraped it down to dry cloth and cut out what
i could and added small pieces of cloth and epoxy.I think its ok .probably add a third layer of cloth and use the bubble buster thing.

I've got one more strip of white oak to go on the outwale,two more strips of three in tape along the chines, seat, oarlocks,and anchor system.paint bottom with graphite and epoxy mix.
The graphite deal reminds me of when my son disassembled a etch-a-sketch.
What a mess