NGTO Message Board
Welcome to NGTO!
Home ] [ Membership ] [ Donations ] [ Feedback ] [ Stream Reviews ] [ Stream Reports ] [ Maps ] [ Events ] [ Articles ] [ Rules and Regulations ] [ Archives ] Message Board ] FAQ ] [ Hall of Fame ] Sponsors & Supporters ] About ] [ Witticisms ] [ Distinguished Members ]
Welcome to NGTO!

Go Back   NGTO Message Board > NGTO Fishing Forums > Fishing Tips and Techniques
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-18-18, 05:31 PM   #1
Maveric
Native

Default Anyone have any tips for amicalola?

Just wondering if anyone would be willing to share any tips on fly selection and techniques for fishing amicalola this time of year?

Any thoughts/tips definitely appreciated!

Thanks all!
Maveric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-18, 07:31 PM   #2
Sighter
NGTO Instagram Controller

I only have experience at the DH portion near the 53 bridge but some advice I have for you is to keep things simple. I'd stick with a double nymph rig under a strike indicator with plenty of weight and tippet. The Ami is pretty deep compared to most GA streams so you definitely want to get your nymphs down to where the fish are podded up, also, since it is deep, I'd recommend a wading staff. Junk flies like the squirmey or an egg matched up with a soft hackle or PT should cover all the bases in terms of flies. Before you head out, be sure to check the water gauge for the Ami, it can get pretty swift with rainfall and definitely dangerous if you're unfamiliar with the area. Hope this helps, look forward to hearing how you did.
Sighter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-18, 09:26 PM   #3
Brotherbear
Native

A black stone fly on full sink line will clean house this time of year.Fish downstream and strip line out with current. Slow strip back up with a pause every so often. Best day was 33 fish on the AMI laughing hysterically.All my big fish in the AMI have come from that.
Old 03-22-18, 10:42 PM   #4
Maveric
Native

Appreciate the replies fellas!

I actually ended up going out on Monday this week and hit up a couple areas including Steele Bridge. Not a bad day; the fish were pretty active, and the water was a little more clear than I was expecting.

I spent time both fly fishing and spin fishing; sometimes I like to scout around with the spin rod to get an idea of where they sitting and how active they are for that day. I brought 3 to hand and had a couple others shake off.

Then I switched over to the fly rod and brought another 3 to hand, plus a couple more that got off and a few more missed opportunities. They were (just as you said Sighter) hitting the junk - pink egg and bright green mopfly.

The coolest part of the day was this one hole I was fishing, I noticed that the (for lack of a better term) "undercurrent" was actually pushing the weighted flies way past the indicator...I was like, "well hell...no way I'm going to know if anything is grabbing these flies!" So I took off the indicator and just kind of let the 2 flies drift down in the current.

Well that seemed all well and good, but I have exactly 0 experience with Euro-nymphing, and had no sighter line, so I still had no clue if anything was hitting! ha!

So after a couple drifts, I see the line get to this rock, and of course the line stopped on it....but just for ****s and giggles, I went ahead and set the hook....Bam! Had one on. Sheer luck, but it made my day. lol!

Anyway, it was a fun day, and I look forward to getting out again soon.

Brotherbear - Love hearing your thoughts on the black stone - good stuff!! I actually didn't read your post until after my trip, but am looking forward to giving it a try. Sounds like a style I would enjoy!

Again, thanks to both of you for responding to my thread; I'll look forward to chattin' it up with you fellas in the near future!
Maveric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-18, 10:52 PM   #5
Sighter
NGTO Instagram Controller

Great follow up report Maveric, it sounds like you had a pretty good day! Tightlining the old school way, I'm impressed haha.
Sighter is online now   Reply With Quote