NGTO Message Board
Welcome to NGTO!
Home ] [ Membership ] [ Donations ] [ Feedback ] [ Stream Reviews ] [ Stream Reports ] [ Maps ] [ Events ] [ Articles ] [ Rules and Regulations ] [ Archives ] Message Board ] FAQ ] [ Hall of Fame ] Sponsors & Supporters ] About ] [ Witticisms ] [ Distinguished Members ]
Welcome to NGTO!

Go Back   NGTO Message Board > Gear Talk > Watercraft
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-16-17, 11:02 AM   #1
Sam_MTB
Native

Default Ideal Hooch Boat

Hi Everybody,

I've recently gotten the "you need a boat" itch that I can't shake. I currently have an inflatable pontoon, but I have begun researching boats to see what my options are. I'm currently considering at:

1. Jon boat with Jet outboard
2. Towee Calusa
3. Drift boat

Obviously, each has its own pros/cons. What is everybody's ideal boat set-up for the Southeast? Feel free to direct me to another thread if this has already been answered.

Thanks,
Sam
Old 08-23-17, 11:41 AM   #2
WadingThroughLife
Native

I think you'll quickly learn that there's not one perfect boat for our many types of water. I went Towee for the swiss army approach that meets my needs. Not amazing at any one thing, but good a lots.

Search for Towee here, and you'll wind up hitting a lot of threads with the Hooch / Southeast vessel discussion.
WadingThroughLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-17, 02:49 PM   #3
skibum
Hall of Fame Member

Best boat for the Hooch is a 16ft Aluminum Jet. It goes where all those others cant, you can fish by yourself very easily and it's made of metal instead of fiberglass.

Drift Boats are nice, when you have someone rowing for you.

Towee, Gheenoe, Riverhawk's work very well, if you like the canoe feel. Sorry Swampy

It all depends on where you want to spend most of your time, or expect too. I spend exactly 6 month on the river, 6 months on the lake with a salt trip when able. I wanted a boat that could do all fairly well so I went with an G3 1860 CCT (that's without the jet).

You cant go wrong with any of those as far as the Hooch. Everything's an upgrade from the one man pontoon, trust me I still have one collecting dust.
Old 08-23-17, 03:06 PM   #4
fishmonger
Past Director, Hall of Flame

Quote:
Originally Posted by skibum View Post
Best boat for the Hooch is a 16ft Aluminum Jet.
OH! MY! GOD! HE SAID IT! AND HERE IT IS IN WRITING!!!

I wish I had one. Oh, wait...

To be fair, a jet foot on an 18 like the Bum's would also be sweet for the river. A prop foot on my 16 is going to be sweet on the lake, when that happens.

FM

"Grow a pear!" - Groundpounder
fishmonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-17, 03:32 PM   #5
skibum
Hall of Fame Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishmonger View Post
OH! MY! GOD! HE SAID IT! AND HERE IT IS IN WRITING!!!

I wish I had one. Oh, wait...

To be fair, a jet foot on an 18 like the Bum's would also be sweet for the river. A prop foot on my 16 is going to be sweet on the lake, when that happens.

FM
I still have the best prop boat on the river
Old 08-23-17, 04:21 PM   #6
Swamp Angel
President

I can't argue with skibum. I like my Gheenoe, but I don't dare attempt to pass the shoals at McGinnis Ferry or Jones Bridge due to the fiberglass hull. I must bow my head in respect and say that skibum's advice is dead on right.
If you have difficulty understanding the post above, read it out loud and it should make sense. This NGTO member is known for his poor hill-billy upbringing and his affinity for all things from Louisiana (particularly if it relates to LSU). It makes for a poor mix of accents and much difficulty in translation. He was doing well for so long, but now seems to have regressed.
Swamp Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-17, 07:17 PM   #7
UncleJesse
Native

Is Jetboat Jerry still on the river. His homemade jet ski driven aluminum boats seemed like a new perfect hull setup.
Old 08-30-17, 05:53 PM   #8
JerryG
Native

I cant speak directly to the Towees, but one big gripe I had with my Riverhawk (inferior construction to Towee but similar layout) was lack of up front space. I felt the front seat was too far fwd leaving the rider with little room and causing some planing issues when I brought along fat friends.

Most jons are going to hold their width front to back rather than a riverhawk or towee which tapers. My new boat for instance is a 1548 jon with 60/45 jet power and big front and rear casting decks. The rear deck is I think 66in wide.

With both boats I've installed tiller handle trolling motors on the front. That way any dummy I bring along will be able to operate the front of the boat. No one is fumbling trying to learn a foot controlled motor.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
JerryG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-17, 06:00 PM   #9
JerryG
Native

Pic of boat & casting platforms

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
JerryG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-17, 09:44 PM   #10
aninconvenientdog
Stocker

Hey Sam,

I was in the same position and went with the Towee Calusa.

Can't speak highly enough of Towee, Stable, fast, poles well, handles rocks and abuse. You get great casting space for 2 anglers.

Be happy to show you mine if you fish around roswell
aninconvenientdog is offline   Reply With Quote