NGTO Message Board
Welcome to NGTO!
Home ] [ Membership ] [ Donations ] [ Feedback ] [ Stream Reviews ] [ Stream Reports ] [ Maps ] [ Events ] [ Articles ] [ Rules and Regulations ] [ Archives ] Message Board ] FAQ ] [ Hall of Fame ] Sponsors & Supporters ] About ] [ Witticisms ] [ Distinguished Members ]
Welcome to NGTO!

Go Back   NGTO Message Board > Fishing Reports > Beyond Georgia
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-16-17, 11:54 AM   #1
Wet Fly
Hall of Fame Member

Default Old World Grayling, Endemic Trout, etc.

Just returned from a summer trip to Bosnia where again I had the fortune and great pleasure to chase the big Adriatic grayling in some pristine freestone waters. It's all sight fishing, whether you are nymphing or using dry flies to catch this fish. Long leaders, tiny flies and crystal clear waters provide for just a perfect challenge. Also, I caught a few rainbows and some browns but best of all was the endemic trout which is only found in 3 drainages in the Balkans. The softmouth trout.

My first outing was late May and, as per usual, I started off with a puny first fish. Nevertheless, it was my first grayling of the season so I was happy.

But once I warmed up a bit, this:

Managed a couple of fish on Frank Sawyer's Killer Bug. Always wanted to catch a grayling on his fly as Sawyer designed it for grayling.

Here's one more

I didn't take too many fish pictures this time but I have a few more of the scenery, food and bev. The great thing about fishing some of the rivers here is that you can jump out of the water whenever you feel like it, sit down at the streamside restaurant and have a cold one.

Have a cold one and go right back to fishing though, or you'll need to deal with this guy. I remember these from I was kid. This was an actual police car. There was no need to chase anyone back then.

Also, some food would be nice.

I fished several different rivers, including this beauty, the Pliva river. Probably the toughest river I fished up until this point in time. I did fish even a harder river later but that is coming up in a minute.

The Pliva. Better watch the road.

Needless to say our efforts were hampered by the bluebird skies, crystal clear water with glassy top, and temps of about 39C. A very difficult water to fish under even the best of conditions. We had some surface action in the evening where we picked a handful of grayling on small emergers.

Caught only a few fish here but only have a couple of browns to show.

Pops with a nice one. Ate a #20 CDC emerger.

Time for another cold brew

And a bite to eat. This was not restaurant food, my mom actually made this. It's called the yaprak. A mixture of minced meat, rice and spices wrapped into fresh collard green leaves. Pure bliss. This is ready to go on the stove.

And all done.

Found another fish pic that might be worthy of mention. Not sure where I caught this one but I know it took a dry fly.

There's nought as queer as folk.

"From the end of May to the end of August, a drizzling or thoroughly wet day is the best; next to which is a showery one, and then a bright day with a breeze of wind; a dark day without wind is the worst of all." W.C. Stewart
Wet Fly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-17, 12:11 PM   #2
Wet Fly
Hall of Fame Member

Onto the souftmouth trout. We traveled about 3 hrs over some ridiculously narrow and windy roads. Up and over the mountains with elevations as high as 1200m. To get here.

First look of the river. It is much larger than it seems. Deep and slow with a gravel bottom it was extremely difficult to get a fly down. No split shot is allowed and single barbless fly only. I had so much 7x on that it was impossible to make any kind of cast. I just ended up chuckin and duckin most of the day. My leader was prob 20ft long, 10ft of which was 7x.

I walked up on a suspension bridge for this shot. By far the toughest river I ever fished.

Fished from noon to dusk and caught one brown and one softie. hard day by any measure, but it was all worth it to tick off another species from the list.
Not a big fish but a beauty, nonetheless.

Here are a couple that were caught by my companions

This was the biggest

A hard day on the water demands a cold brew at the end

This was our lunch. Meat and potato pie.

Until next time

There's nought as queer as folk.

"From the end of May to the end of August, a drizzling or thoroughly wet day is the best; next to which is a showery one, and then a bright day with a breeze of wind; a dark day without wind is the worst of all." W.C. Stewart
Wet Fly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-17, 12:29 PM   #3
RScott
President

Full of awesomeness and weird hybrid trout! looks like a brown trout and a grayling had a tango.

Support the Mission Statement - buy the TU License Plate!

RScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-17, 01:47 PM   #4
Big T
BOD Member, Hall of Fame

I have been waiting for this post since you got back. I always love seeing how pristine that area looks. Thanks for sharing.
Old 08-16-17, 01:52 PM   #5
iso1600
Native

Food looks good and the scenery looks even better. Those softmouth look kinda like the lenok that can be found in some Korean streams. Very primitive salmonids.
Old 08-16-17, 03:04 PM   #6
Jason
Georgia Master Naturalist, SOLO Advanced WFA

Did you bring any liquid refreshment back?

Great pictures.

Concede parum, nega frequenter, distingue semper - St. Thomas Aquinas

'Stand by the roads, and look and ask for the ancient paths, where the good way is and walk in it, and find rest for your souls'. Jeremiah 6:16

"Wonder is the desire for knowledge" - St. Thomas Aquinas
Jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-17, 03:27 PM   #7
Philhutch80
Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by RScott View Post
Full of awesomeness and weird hybrid trout! looks like a brown trout and a grayling had a tango.
My thoughts exactly! Given how soft trout mouths are already I am curious to know how soft a soft trout mouth is. Gorgeous country as well! Well done on painting a picture of a heck of a trip!
Philhutch80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-17, 03:53 PM   #8
splatek16
Native

This is a great post!
Those fish, those pics, that scenery - absolutely amazing; Thanks for sharing.
splatek16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-17, 06:17 PM   #9
Buck Henry
Former NGTO President, Sith Lord, FKA Bhuk Henri

Mo is the man! And not a single beer picture without the accompanying pipe tobacco. Well done as always old friend!

Buck Henry
Simple Goat Herder
Former NGTO President
Hall of Fame Member
Buck Henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-17, 08:27 PM   #10
Fishemon
Native

Default Fantastic!!!

Mo great photo's and trip!!!