NGTO Message Board
Welcome to NGTO!
Home ] [ Membership ] [ Donations ] [ Feedback ] [ Stream Reviews ] [ Stream Reports ] [ Maps ] [ Events ] [ Articles ] [ Rules and Regulations ] [ Archives ] Message Board ] FAQ ] [ Hall of Fame ] Sponsors & Supporters ] About ] [ Witticisms ] [ Distinguished Members ]
Welcome to NGTO!

Go Back   NGTO Message Board > Gear Talk > Rod Building
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-22-17, 11:37 PM   #1
vancheesey
Native

Default Mud hole and a no BS breakdown...

So I was on mud hole looking at getting a rod building kit for winter project... I'm looking for a no BS breakdown on how difficult it is to build a rod and if it's worth the time and effort...
Old 07-23-17, 12:33 AM   #2
The Ole Man
Past Director, Past CFO,

I built my first fly rod about 16 years ago. I used this website write up for instructions and it's still online. I bought my kit from this guy's (Bob's) website and he supplied all of the right parts and pre-marked the rod sections spine. Read his Rod Building 101 Guide for directions on what you will be doing. I did borrow a wrapping stand for wrapping the guides and hook keeper and ferrule wraps. I also bought a set of tapered cork reamers from Bob. 16 years ago there were no You Tube videos. If you search Building Graphite Fly Rod Videos today you can also watch how it's done. The most tedious part for me was wrapping the tip section guides as the tip is thin and flexible and tends to bounce up and down when you do the wraps. The 2 nd rod I built was a Sage 9', 5 wt, 4 piece Light Line kit that I also bought from Bob that was supplied with all Sage factory original Light Line parts. Turned out great and I still fish with it---when I get to fish. http://www.flyrodcrafters.com/rod-building-101/
The Ole Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-17, 10:16 AM   #3
Dtroutmann
Native

I built one from mudhole and love it, I took a class from Steve Hudson, we built the stands and thread wrapper ourselves. The only thing that my mudhole kit didn't come with was thread, 5min apoxy (4 the handle) and High build resin for the guides. If I remember correctly they now actually sell a complete kit with absolutely everything. I currently have a rod that I'll be building sometime between fall and winter myself shoot me a PM and maybe we can get together and build the rods together. It actually only takes 1 full day to do everything. Lemme know if I can help. Its always nice to have another eye on things to catch the small mistakes.
Steve also included a booklet that he made that is a step by step guide to the whole process.

Trophies are relative
Dtroutmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-17, 12:10 PM   #4
vancheesey
Native

Dtroutman, that's a good plan! I just bought a couple new rods so I need to work some more overtime and I'm going to buy the whole kit on mud hole.
Old 07-23-17, 12:31 PM   #5
Dtroutmann
Native

Shoot me a PM and I'll respond with my phone number

Trophies are relative
Dtroutmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-17, 04:03 PM   #6
Windknot
Director, Hall of Fame Member, Secretary

I selected all the components myself from the start, rather than using a kit.

Difficult? No, but you must be patient, or be able to walk away when frustration strikes. My builds are probably averaging 1 rod in four years....which means I have to re-learn everything, every time!

Worth it? Yes. I have rods that suit me, grips that fit me, enhancements that please me, and rod/reel combos that are not tip-heavy. And for reasonable .

Want to Help Ease DNR's Budget Woes? Buy a TU license Plate!
Windknot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-17, 10:11 PM   #7
story teller1981
Native

Hook and Hackle also sells a lot of kits.
story teller1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-17, 08:53 PM   #8
CTA Mike
Native

I am not very "handy" but I build one every winter, so it is not that hard. Get the right "support" gear. Like to pick my own stuff (unique) and can build on a high end blank for about 1/2 of retail. Problem is I cant even "make up" a gap in the rods I own as a reason to build another one. I have built a 1 wt, 8 wt, 6 wt, 10 foot ESN road, etc, etc.

It is really cool to fish one you built.

In case I misread the thread these are graphic, not bamboo.
CTA Mike is offline   Reply With Quote