NGTO Message Board
Welcome to NGTO!
Home ] [ Membership ] [ Donations ] [ Feedback ] [ Stream Reviews ] [ Stream Reports ] [ Maps ] [ Events ] [ Articles ] [ Rules and Regulations ] [ Archives ] Message Board ] FAQ ] [ Hall of Fame ] Sponsors & Supporters ] About ] [ Witticisms ] [ Distinguished Members ]
Welcome to NGTO!

Go Back   NGTO Message Board > Other NGTO Forums > Food & Cooking
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-07-17, 06:40 AM   #1
MasterofTrout
Stocker
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 4
Default Camping Cookware

Hey everyone, having a great time on this forum learning all kinds of tips and tricks for the next time I go out fishing.

The plan is actually to go out for a big trip in a couple weeks time, when my buddies get off work for 3 weeks. We are going to be staying in one of their cabins and then going to a really good fishing spot that is about 800 meters away, so this year we thought we might do a little cooking on the water side. I got a really good stove to use that is safe, light and durable so now we just need some cookware to take with us.

We don't mind taking a good amount of gear as we have slept there before, just never cooked food there. I think what would be best would be some titanium cookware as it will hold the heat really well and it also not that heavy, so we could take a pot/kettle and some pans without it being a major issue. Any brands that you all recommend, or other ideas that might work better?

Thanks in advance

I was looking for a nice cast iron pan to take with us when I stumbled across lots of used titanium cookware being sold on http://www.used.forsale/titanium-cookware-used-for-sale and at the price, I had to grab it. Thanks for all the advice everyone, I am very excited for our trip.

Last edited by MasterofTrout; 09-17-17 at 01:06 AM.
MasterofTrout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-17, 05:06 PM   #2
Trouter23
Native
 
Trouter23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 1,801
Default

Sounds like fun. What are you looking to cook? This will help determine what cookware you'll need.
__________________
I'm so old I remember when men wore tattoos and women wore earrings.
-Lefty Kreh
Trouter23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-17, 10:32 PM   #3
MasterofTrout
Stocker
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 4
Default

Hopefully some fish haha. We don't want to be bringing in raw meats with us, so all of that will have to come from us. I recently got my trapping license so I plan on making some simple snare traps while we are out, hopefully I can get a rabbit or something small like that in case we don't get any fish. Oh, and coffee of course which is why we will need a kettle or a pot for heating up water. A stew pot would be considered, but the areas is probably going to be under an open fire ban and the little stove is not going to work for a huge pot.
MasterofTrout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-17, 08:28 AM   #4
fishtacos
Native
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 275
Default

If you're not traveling much, hiking in, etc.... I would just get cast iron. Durable, versatile, cheap (relative to titanium), etc. Obviously much heavier than cast iron but if you're trying to bet Jeremiah Johnson, why would you even bring that new-fangled space ship material cookware to camp anyway?

Missed the fire ban part. I would still get cast iron and just buy a camp stove (not a backpacking stove/burner). Or just build a fire carefully. Did Jeremiah Johnson listen to the federal gub'mint? Nuff said.
fishtacos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-17, 09:00 AM   #5
fredw
Native
 
fredw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Near the shores of Lake Oconee
Posts: 876
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterofTrout View Post
Hopefully some fish haha. We don't want to be bringing in raw meats with us, so all of that will have to come from us. I recently got my trapping license so I plan on making some simple snare traps while we are out, hopefully I can get a rabbit or something small like that in case we don't get any fish. Oh, and coffee of course which is why we will need a kettle or a pot for heating up water. A stew pot would be considered, but the areas is probably going to be under an open fire ban and the little stove is not going to work for a huge pot.
Just an fyi on the trapping part. Not much you can legally trap in Georgia except for fur bearers and that season doesn't open until December I believe. Snares, again in Georgia, are highly restricted.
fredw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-17, 09:34 AM   #6
Jason
Georgia Master Naturalist, SOLO Advanced WFA
 
Jason's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Holly Springs
Posts: 1,281
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishtacos View Post
If you're not traveling much, hiking in, etc.... I would just get cast iron. Durable, versatile, cheap (relative to titanium), etc. Obviously much heavier than cast iron but if you're trying to bet Jeremiah Johnson, why would you even bring that new-fangled space ship material cookware to camp anyway?

Missed the fire ban part. I would still get cast iron and just buy a camp stove (not a backpacking stove/burner). Or just build a fire carefully. Did Jeremiah Johnson listen to the federal gub'mint? Nuff said.

A good alternative to cast iron is a carbon steel pan. They are lighter than cast iron but work just as well. Lodge makes a nice one. I take mine with me camping all the time.

I use it at home too. For a steak you when you can't grill there is nothing like a carbon steel skillet and a 500 degree oven.

https://www.cooksillustrated.com/how...rsus-cast-iron


TOAKS Titanium 750ml Pot is nice and light combined with a Emberlit Fireant and you can't go wrong.

For a bigger billy can I have Zebra pot
__________________
“There are some who can live without wild things and some who cannot.” - Aldo Leopold

Concede parum, nega frequenter, distingue semper - St. Thomas Aquinas

'Stand by the roads, and look and ask for the ancient paths, where the good way is and walk in it, and find rest for your souls'. Jeremiah 6:16

"Wonder is the desire for knowledge" - St. Thomas Aquinas

Last edited by Jason; 09-08-17 at 09:42 AM.
Jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-17, 10:32 AM   #7
Stinkbait
Native
 
Join Date: Jul 1999
Location: Atlanta, Ga, USA
Posts: 1,383
Default

REI is having a special bonus program this weekend if you are member and can get to a store. I always get good advice at the two stores in N. Atlanta.
Stinkbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-17, 10:25 PM   #8
MasterofTrout
Stocker
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 4
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredw View Post
Just an fyi on the trapping part. Not much you can legally trap in Georgia except for fur bearers and that season doesn't open until December I believe. Snares, again in Georgia, are highly restricted.
Aw hell, I thought there would be some exemptions like rabbits and squirrels, but it seems the only except animals are beaver and coyotes. Guess our fishing skill better be up to par.
MasterofTrout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-17, 07:33 AM   #9
Counslrman
Hall of Fame Member
 
Counslrman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Columbus, GA
Posts: 6,369
Default

...we always carry a 12 by 16 stainless steel grill grate...it's relatively light and we set it up on rocks in the fire ring to grill with fire coals...

... stainless is the best alternative to cast iron if your objective is saving weight, IMHO...

...when we camp at the West Fork, we take cast iron...Cath thinks it's the best stuff...heats evenly, cooks our food well, and is versatile...

Blessings!

Jimmy
Counslrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-17, 10:24 AM   #10
iso1600
Native
 
iso1600's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: MGM
Posts: 689
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Counslrman View Post
...we always carry a 12 by 16 stainless steel grill grate...it's relatively light and we set it up on rocks in the fire ring to grill with fire coals...

... stainless is the best alternative to cast iron if your objective is saving weight, IMHO...

...when we camp at the West Fork, we take cast iron...Cath thinks it's the best stuff...heats evenly, cooks our food well, and is versatile...

Blessings!

Jimmy
These are all grate (ha!) points. I also love bringing a small grate to cook over a fire, it's crazy easy and a lot more fun, to me, than cooking in a pan. Some of my best meals have been steaks or trout cooked this way over a fire with family and friends.

For an 800m jaunt, Ti is not worth the cost. And also, I thought one of the points against it was that it doesn't heat evenly? Al is far cheaper but also doesn't heat very evenly. I like the carbon steel idea. I've got two lodge cast iron that I use at home, but will look into one of those carbon steel ones for camping since it's gotta be a good bit lighter.
I have a GSI non-stick 12" pan with folding handle that I picked up at REI, it works pretty great, I've used it for a streamside trout a time or two, and done lots of other stuff in it. Not expensive, and very easy to carry.
__________________
Resident Tenkara Nerd
iso1600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:14 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vB.Sponsors
Copyright 2010 - North Georgia Trout Online - All Rights Reserved