NGTO Message Board
Welcome to NGTO!
Home ] [ Membership ] [ Donations ] [ Feedback ] [ Stream Reviews ] [ Stream Reports ] [ Maps ] [ Events ] [ Articles ] [ Rules and Regulations ] [ Archives ] Message Board ] FAQ ] [ Hall of Fame ] Sponsors & Supporters ] About ] [ Witticisms ] [ Distinguished Members ]
Welcome to NGTO!

Go Back   NGTO Message Board > Fishing Reports > Chattahoochee River
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-21-17, 11:09 AM   #1
Tim Rainey
Master of the Chattahoochee

Default This Weekend

We will turn off the small unit at Buford Dam and provide minimum flow requirements via the sluice gate at approximately 5:00 pm Friday September 22. This condition will remain until approximately 8:00 am Monday September 25. No main unit generation will occur between 8:00 am and 2:00 pm Saturday September 23 in support of the Kids Fishing Event held below the dam.
Tim Rainey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-17, 03:04 PM   #2
Bmc777
Stocker

Question

Curious what the deal is, because I just called the number for the dam and it says they are releasing tonight? ???
Bmc777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-17, 05:53 PM   #3
pharris100
Native

Does anyone have a translation? I was hoping to fish JB Sunday morning but when I call it says they will be releasing tonight until 1 am. My normal math tells me this would have me fishing at peak.

Thanks!
Paul
pharris100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-17, 06:40 PM   #4
Bmc777
Stocker

Yes JB peaks about 6 hours after release ends. It's a big release tonight too. We were going to float JB to Holcomb but we are bailing out.
Bmc777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-17, 11:02 AM   #5
kbrunson
Native

13-14 hrs is a conservative estimate for the water to recede at JB from the end of a release. Given they stop at 1am, this would put it fishable at 2-3pm today barring any other releases.
kbrunson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-17, 07:48 PM   #6
pharris100
Native

Thanks!

I understand the normal release timing. I just wasn't familiar with the Small Unit, Main Unit, Sluice gate, etc. I've never seen a post like this and figured there had to be more to it than what we are accustomed to.

Paul
pharris100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-17, 05:34 PM   #7
Tim Rainey
Master of the Chattahoochee

I apologize for any confusion. I am trying to do better in posting on here when I can to inform the fishing public of what is occurring at Buford Dam. Main units = the "big" hydropower units that generate 60 MegaWatts (MW) of power. In doing so, each unit will pass approximately 5000 cfs of water. Small unit, or "house" unit = the unit that is used to maintain flow in the river at all times. Typically this flow is 600 cfs of water. This unit generates 7 MW of power. Sluice gate = "The bathtub plug". When we sluice, it is a direct conduit from the lake to the river without passing through any hydropower generating units. Sluicing typically increases dissolved oxygen levels in the river due to the turbulence created when the water enters the river, especially during this time of year.

We do not do main unit releases overnight very often. That is an entirely different explanation. However, for clarity, we can sluice and release from the main units. That is what occurred this weekend.

Our primary purpose for this weekend was to ensure no main unit releases for the Kids Fishing Event.

If there is still confusion or if anyone has any questions please do not hesitate to contact me at 770-945-9531 or via email at timothy.a.rainey2@usace.army.mil
Tim Rainey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-17, 05:38 PM   #8
Swamp Angel
Board of Directors, Hall of Fame, NGTO IT Support Team, Facebook Page Admin

Tim,

Thanks very much for the heads up and for the explanation. It's great to have y'all on the board and passing along information like this!
If you have difficulty understanding the post above, read it out loud and it should make sense. This NGTO member is known for his poor hill-billy upbringing and his affinity for all things from Louisiana (particularly if it relates to LSU). It makes for a poor mix of accents and much difficulty in translation. He was doing well for so long, but now seems to have regressed.
Swamp Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-17, 07:20 AM   #9
Uncle Fun
Native

Tim, I'll second that. The additional updates that you have been posting have been very helpful.

Thanks.
Uncle Fun is offline   Reply With Quote