NGTO Message Board
Welcome to NGTO!
Home ] [ Membership ] [ Donations ] [ Feedback ] [ Stream Reviews ] [ Stream Reports ] [ Maps ] [ Events ] [ Articles ] [ Rules and Regulations ] [ Archives ] Message Board ] FAQ ] [ Hall of Fame ] Sponsors & Supporters ] About ] [ Witticisms ] [ Distinguished Members ]
Welcome to NGTO!

Go Back   NGTO Message Board > NGTO Fishing Forums > General Information
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-24-17, 12:11 PM   #1
FairWeatherFisherman
Past Director, Hall of Fame Member

Default Outdoor Adventure Day Thanks

My thanks to Jeff Durniak, the other DNR guys, and all the volunteers for another great Outdoor Adventure Day. Marie, our two grandsons, and I all had a wonderful time. As we've come to expect, it was very well organized and we found it a nice safe place for the kids to get exposure to a broad range of outdoor activities. The bird show is always a favorite and it did not disappoint this year. Last time the oldest grandson got to help stock the trout, and this year the younger one did.

It's become a tradition for us to come up the night before and stay at the Unicoi Lodge. They are nice clean motel style rooms, and if you get the ones with a view, you can see the folks setting up in the morning for the event. We always hit the restaurant at the lodge for the buffet breakfast. Probably not the cheapest around, but we always enjoy the food and have found the wait staff to be very kind. The other nice thing about staying at the lodge is it is nearly impossible to miss the event at that point.
FairWeatherFisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-17, 04:47 PM   #2
Windknot
Director, Hall of Fame Member

I want to echo Mike's comments to the hosts and volunteers of this event. It is always a great day for me....even when the fishing is tough!

Kids had fun, parents had fun, volunteers had fun.

I saw a lady go out of her way to locate Durniak so she could thank him personally. Individual volunteers hear those frequently from parents.

I hope it's cooler next year!

Want to Help Ease DNR's Budget Woes? Buy a TU license Plate!
Windknot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-17, 04:56 PM   #3
Big T
NGTO BOD Member

For those of you who have not yet volunteered you do not know what you are missing, it is a ton of fun and you can make fantastic fishing connections.

I hope to see more new faces out there next year. And if you have kids this is a must do event.
Old 09-24-17, 07:38 PM   #4
splatek16
Native

I couldn't echo these sentiments more.
We only had a few hours after peewee football.
But we fished, played in the creek, shot pellet guns, archery, tied flies.
Great seeing. J Durniak, big T, and meeting trout_r, among others.
We will be back next year

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
splatek16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-17, 10:34 PM   #5
Sam_MTB
Native

Ditto all of the above. My dad and I worked as stream guides and had a blast watching the kids catch some trout. Stocking the stream was a big hit as well. Nice meeting many of you in person & I hope to see you on the water soon.
Old 09-25-17, 06:05 AM   #6
HILLIS LANIER
Native

Same here. Great event. My wife and I both worked the event, and both thoroughly enjoyed it. Great seeing Jeff Durniak again. Always a pleasure to talk to Jeff. I spent most of the day at the skeet shooting tent. Really enjoyed talking with Jimmy Harris and Landon who also worked the skeet shooting venue. Everyone I met and saw seemed to really enjoy the day. Lot of happy kids and adults.
Old 09-25-17, 03:27 PM   #7
Windknot
Director, Hall of Fame Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windknot View Post
I saw a lady go out of her way to locate Durniak so she could thank him personally. Individual volunteers hear those frequently from parents.........

Dredger followed up with what really happened................

Thanks for the kind words and keen observation, Don. But let’s be clear on the lady’s inquiry. She was asking me how she could thank her awesome fishing guide. Here is the rest of the story.

When she had approached me an hour earlier, she had a OAD loaner rod and a grandson in tow, and asked if anyone could help her, since she didn’t have a clue on how to fish. I spotted Randy (NGTO’s Trout R) along the creek and asked him if he’d honor the lady’s request. Of course, he stepped up.

And the grandson caught his first trout, ever. And Granny was elated and wanted me to know how much that fishing guide meant to her and her grandson. And, as it is on any good adventure day, I was simply the messenger.

Here is the message:
it is about all of YOU fine volunteers who triple our event staffing levels and allow us to pull off OAD. We (DNR) are just there to plan and support it, but YOU fabulous sportsmen and women are there to make it happen!

Trout R is simply this year’s poster boy for good deeds. He represents each and every one of you, from Buford Dam up to Sloppy Floyd Park and across to Unicoi, who is a newbie’s HERO on National Hunting and Fishing Day. So Trout R, Windknot, Fishbreath, Big T, The Crowe, Sam_MTB, Hillis Lanier, dozens of GA TU’ers and Traditional Bowhunters, and all other vols, the DNR Green Team

SALUTES YOU!

Jeff Durniak
North Georgia Region Fisheries Supervisor

Wildlife Resources Division

Want to Help Ease DNR's Budget Woes? Buy a TU license Plate!
Windknot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-17, 08:20 PM   #8
Trout "R"
Native

Those are very kind words Dredger!!
But everyone you mentioned could have had that same thing happen to them on Saturday. I just happen to draw the lady that LOVED to talk a lot.
Its a privilege and honor to have the opportunity work along side you, Leon and so many more of the STATE guys and gals!! You all are the ones that need the recondition!!!!!!!!!!!!
Thanks for all y'all do!!!!
Old 09-26-17, 10:19 AM   #9
Trout Fear Me
Native

This thread needs a LIKE button. Thanks to all who made it a great day!!