NGTO Message Board
Welcome to NGTO!
Home ] [ Membership ] [ Donations ] [ Feedback ] [ Stream Reviews ] [ Stream Reports ] [ Maps ] [ Events ] [ Articles ] [ Rules and Regulations ] [ Archives ] Message Board ] FAQ ] [ Hall of Fame ] Sponsors & Supporters ] About ] [ Witticisms ] [ Distinguished Members ]
Welcome to NGTO!

Go Back   NGTO Message Board > Gear Talk > Gear and Equipment
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-09-17, 07:43 PM   #1
GT Sailor
Stocker

Default Weight of LL Bean "Double L" rod?

I recently inherited a very nice LL Bean "Double L" two piece fly rod. I do not know how old it is, but it appears to be carbon fiber or fiberglass. I do not see any wt ratings marked on the rod, and it did not come with a reel or line, so I really don't know what weight line to get for this rod. Any suggestions on how to figure this out?
GT Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-17, 07:50 PM   #2
Buck Henry
Former NGTO President, Sith Lord, FKA Bhuk Henri

With nothing else to go by, I would string it up with a 6 weight line and see how it responds and then go from there.

Buck Henry
Simple Goat Herder
Former NGTO President
Hall of Fame Member
Buck Henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-17, 05:03 AM   #3
fishnpreacher
Board of Directors Chaplain, Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck Henry View Post
With nothing else to go by, I would string it up with a 6 weight line and see how it responds and then go from there.
Yep. If it is a fiberglass rod, it will feel heavy in your hand and will be a slower action than you are accustomed to. A 6wt was sort of a standard weight for 'glass rods. Go up and down on line weights until you find a good fit and feel.

Exodus 29:18
Then burn the entire ram on the altar. It is a burnt offering to the LORD, a pleasing aroma, a food offering presented to the LORD. God loves BBQ!
fishnpreacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-17, 07:41 AM   #4
Duke Of Hooch
Native

I agree - most likely 6wt if glass. For glass, I prefer a DT line instead of WF because a DT loads the rod more consistently. I have 4 and 6 wt DT lines on my most commonly used reels since I fish glass almost exclusively. If you'd like to meet up on the Hooch and try them out on your rod, send me a PM.

If you can post photos of the rod, I may be able to narrow down the weight and possibly the manufacturer, as LL Bean used blanks from several companies through the years.
Duke Of Hooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-17, 09:30 AM   #5
Milton
Native

I expect any fly shop will be happy to let you cast it with different weight lines that they use for customers to try out rods, especially if you're planning to buy a line after you make your decision.

- Milton
Milton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-17, 06:20 PM   #6
Crawfish
Native

LL Bean has great customer service. Call their fly shop, or department. If there are any markings on it at all, they can help you out. Or perhaps roughly when it was purchased.
I had a similar situation, and found out I had a 9 wt Rod. They went to a lot of trouble for me. So much so that I bought a reel for it from them.
Donít know the number, but it is probably a toll free call.
Old 10-10-17, 08:15 PM   #7
GT Sailor
Stocker

Smile

Wow - thanks everyone for the great advice. I just started fly fishing over a year ago and really enjoy it. I only have a 5wt rod/FW line at the moment, but would love to meet up some time to do some testing.

Great suggestions; head to the fly shop, as well as to give LL Bean a call. Will probably do all of the above.

I'll try to take some pictures and post them.

Thanks again!! You guys are great!
Old 10-10-17, 08:56 PM   #8
Buck Henry
Former NGTO President, Sith Lord, FKA Bhuk Henri

As already mentioned, LL Bean pays other rod makers to make the rods they sell. If it is an old fiberglass rod (which I am betting it is), then there is a decent chance it might be a Phillipson made glass rod. If true, it would definitely be worth hanging on to. Phillipson made some great bamboo and glass rods in their day.

I can't wait to see pictures of this rod!

Buck Henry
Simple Goat Herder
Former NGTO President
Hall of Fame Member
Buck Henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-17, 07:48 PM   #9
GT Sailor
Stocker

OK, here is my attempt at posting some pics of the rod.
20171011_193118.jpg
20171011_193146.jpg
20171011_193322.jpg
Old 10-12-17, 11:01 PM   #10
Duke Of Hooch
Native

Very interesting...Looks like graphite, and I'd guess in the 5-7 wt range judging by the design and taper. I wish I could be more helpful, but that's my best guess because I'm more familiar with the older Double L glass rods.

I like Crawfish's suggestion to get in touch with LL Bean - maybe even send pictures to them. Their customer service has always been top notch in my experience. If you get in touch with Bean, be sure to provide the length of the rod, since Double L's are offered in limited lengths per weight class. Either way, the Double L's have a history of being quality rods, so I would find a way to put some fish on it..I'm sure it's a nice rod.
Duke Of Hooch is offline   Reply With Quote