NGTO Message Board
Welcome to NGTO!
Home ] [ Membership ] [ Donations ] [ Feedback ] [ Stream Reviews ] [ Stream Reports ] [ Maps ] [ Events ] [ Articles ] [ Rules and Regulations ] [ Archives ] Message Board ] FAQ ] [ Hall of Fame ] Sponsors & Supporters ] About ] [ Witticisms ] [ Distinguished Members ]
Welcome to NGTO!

Go Back   NGTO Message Board > Gear Talk > Gear and Equipment
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-13-17, 03:44 PM   #11
GT Sailor
Stocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke Of Hooch View Post
Very interesting...Looks like graphite, and I'd guess in the 5-7 wt range judging by the design and taper. I wish I could be more helpful, but that's my best guess because I'm more familiar with the older Double L glass rods.

I like Crawfish's suggestion to get in touch with LL Bean - maybe even send pictures to them. Their customer service has always been top notch in my experience. If you get in touch with Bean, be sure to provide the length of the rod, since Double L's are offered in limited lengths per weight class. Either way, the Double L's have a history of being quality rods, so I would find a way to put some fish on it..I'm sure it's a nice rod.
Thanks Duke. I'm hoping to get on the river with it soon. I may just put my 5wt line on it and see what it does.
GT Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-17, 09:56 AM   #12
Jimmy Harris
Hall of Fame Member, NGTO Sponsor

The rod size should be printed, in very small letters, right in front of the hook keeper at the top of the grip. I had to take mine outside where there's lots of sunlight and, of course, put my strongest reading glasses on. My Double L, which was the very first good fly rod I ever purchased way back in the middle 80's, is an "8056". An 8' 5 or 6 wt. The blank used in my rod is a Fisher.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0015 (1).jpg (41.1 KB, 22 views)
Jimmy Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-17, 02:07 PM   #13
GT Sailor
Stocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Harris View Post
The rod size should be printed, in very small letters, right in front of the hook keeper at the top of the grip. I had to take mine outside where there's lots of sunlight and, of course, put my strongest reading glasses on. My Double L, which was the very first good fly rod I ever purchased way back in the middle 80's, is an "8056". An 8' 5 or 6 wt. The blank used in my rod is a Fisher.
Thanks Jimmy. I don't see that writing on my rod. My hook keeper is attached with string that is glued. Here is a pic.

20171014_150405.jpg
Old 10-16-17, 07:34 AM   #14
nielson
Native

Doesn't look like original wraps.
How long is the rod and are both sections the same length?
If it's 8' or below, I'm with Jimmy Harris, a 5 or 6 wt.
Jim
nielson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-17, 07:42 AM   #15
Jimmy Harris

Quote:
Originally Posted by nielson View Post
Doesn't look like original wraps.

I thought the same thing, Jim. Looks like a custom built rod but I don't know how they would have gotten the Bean decal for it. Also, that hook keeper isn't typically used in production rods.
Old 10-16-17, 09:14 AM   #16
fishnpreacher
Board of Directors Chaplain, Hall of Fame

Custom built or possibly repaired?
GT Sailor, do the rest of the guides have the same color and length of wraps? It looks like a rewrap/refurbish to me.

Exodus 29:18
Then burn the entire ram on the altar. It is a burnt offering to the LORD, a pleasing aroma, a food offering presented to the LORD. God loves BBQ!
fishnpreacher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-17, 04:50 PM   #17
GT Sailor
Stocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishnpreacher View Post
Custom built or possibly repaired?
GT Sailor, do the rest of the guides have the same color and length of wraps? It looks like a rewrap/refurbish to me.
Interesting. Did Bean sell a home build kit? All of the guides have the same type of thread attachments, and they are all the same color and form. Below is a picture. Both sections of the rod are the same length, and it is 8 ft rod.

20171011_193219.jpg
Old 10-16-17, 04:55 PM   #18
Jimmy Harris

They just don't look like a factory job. The wraps are larger and not neat enough to have been done by a professional. I'm also curious about the rod blank. Not what I would have expected on a Double L. It's a "Mystery Rod". Those things can be priceless!
Old 10-16-17, 06:42 PM   #19
fishnpreacher
Board of Directors Chaplain, Hall of Fame

That is what I was thinking. The wraps look like they were done by a novice. They are way too long and the accent wrap too big. The wraps also don't appear to have any epoxy or sealer on them. But that's a beauty of a blank.
Jimmy, how does this rod compare to yours as far as blank color and wrap color?

Exodus 29:18
Then burn the entire ram on the altar. It is a burnt offering to the LORD, a pleasing aroma, a food offering presented to the LORD. God loves BBQ!
fishnpreacher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-17, 10:18 PM   #20
GT Sailor
Stocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishnpreacher View Post
That is what I was thinking. The wraps look like they were done by a novice. They are way too long and the accent wrap too big. The wraps also don't appear to have any epoxy or sealer on them. But that's a beauty of a blank.
Jimmy, how does this rod compare to yours as far as blank color and wrap color?
The threads do have an epoxy like coating on them, FWIW. Guess I'll just have to call Bean and see what they say. What do you mean by the "blank"? I'm a newby at all of this. Thanks for all the help!