NGTO Message Board
Welcome to NGTO!
Home ] [ Membership ] [ Donations ] [ Feedback ] [ Stream Reviews ] [ Stream Reports ] [ Maps ] [ Events ] [ Articles ] [ Rules and Regulations ] [ Archives ] Message Board ] FAQ ] [ Hall of Fame ] Sponsors & Supporters ] About ] [ Witticisms ] [ Distinguished Members ]
Welcome to NGTO!

Go Back   NGTO Message Board > Fishing Reports > Chattahoochee River
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-14-17, 04:43 PM   #1
Ch035
Native

Default Why don't they release water at night?

For the past few weeks the release has been prime fishing hours. They released today a 2pm. yesterday it was right when I was 4-6 or something. Why does the army core of engineers not want us to fish after work?
Ch035 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-17, 05:42 PM   #2
natureman
Native

Buford Powerhouse is a "peak demand power plant"--meaning it tends to operate during peak electricity usage hours. Sometimes it may operate outside these periods to meet other needs such as water supply, quality and flood control or when other power plants are down for maintenance.
natureman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-17, 06:02 PM   #3
Buck Henry
Former NGTO President, Sith Lord, FKA Bhuk Henri

Hot in the day time meaning lots of AC's running full blast! That dam is all about making power, not creating cold water for trout or ideal fishing conditions for trout fisherman.

Buck Henry
Simple Goat Herder
Former NGTO President
Hall of Fame Member
Buck Henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-17, 06:16 PM   #4
splatek16
Native

I remember hearing somewhere that it doesn't even generate that much power, like barely enough to rub their own equipment.
It could be another dam I'm thinking of.

I don't mind the late afternoon out early morning releases, because at least those who can get out have a good full day. But middle of the day on Saturday when that almost never happened during the summer, when A/C should've been on high... That's just a d**k move.
I'm sure there is a reason but still...

None the less I caught a bunch of fish today.
Mostly bows, one really decent sized bow

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
splatek16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-17, 06:17 PM   #5
splatek16
Native

Also, I wonder what the effects of various release schedule are on stress in the trout.
Seems to me that all the literature on learned helplessness suggests that unpredictable environmental stressors really can wreak havoc on animals (and people)

Old 10-14-17, 07:07 PM   #6
Trout8myfly
Past Director, Hall of Fame Member

Buford Dam can produce a significant amount of power.

Quote:
Buford Dam and Powerhouse
The construction of Buford Dam was authorized by a 1946 Congressional Act. Construction began in 1951 and was completed in 1956. Buford Dam was built to retain the Chattahoochee River about 25 miles northeast of downtown Atlanta, Ga.

The result of the project, Lake Sidney Lanier is also fed by the Chestatee River and welcomes over 7.5 million people annually. Lake Sidney Lanier is considered one of America’s favorite lakes and is the most-visited U.S. Army Corps of Engineers project.

The Buford Dam and Powerhouse are located on the Chattahoochee River at Lake Sidney Lanier in north central Georgia. The power plant came online in 1958. The current plant capacity is 126 MW.
The demand is created by the wider regional power grid, not local consumption. Yesterday the total generated power was 253 MW in a 24-hour period and that's low compared to some days. (The capacity mentioned above is MW per hour...)

The average home in Georgia consumes 15 MW per year.

So my quick math says a year's output from Buford Dam could power about 6,000 to 10,000 homes annually.

250 MW x 365 days = 91.25 GW / 15MW per house - 6,083 houses. The plant's actual capacity is much more - but then Lake Lanier would become Lanier Pond.

More data to play with: https://www.eia.gov/electricity/data...er/#/plant/759
https://www.eia.gov/consumption/resi...efs/pdf/GA.pdf
https://www.eia.gov/state/analysis.php?sid=GA
Trout8myfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-17, 07:24 PM   #7
Ch035
Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trout8myfly View Post
Buford Dam can produce a significant amount of power.

The demand is created by the wider regional power grid, not local consumption. Yesterday the total generated power was 253 MW in a 24-hour period and that's low compared to some days. (The capacity mentioned above is MW per hour...)

The average home in Georgia consumes 15 MW per year.

So my quick math says a year's output from Buford Dam could power about 6,000 to 10,000 homes annually.

250 MW x 365 days = 91.25 GW / 15MW per house - 6,083 houses. The plant's actual capacity is much more - but then Lake Lanier would become Lanier Pond.

More data to play with: https://www.eia.gov/electricity/data...er/#/plant/759
https://www.eia.gov/consumption/resi...efs/pdf/GA.pdf
https://www.eia.gov/state/analysis.php?sid=GA

That's cool info. Thanks- now I'm down a rabbit hole that requires math on a Saturday night. Some days they don't release at all during the summer. So they can can't they store enough power to power the grid during peak season. Now- why can't they do this at night?
Ch035 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-17, 07:39 PM   #8
natureman
Native

The grid does not store power. Producers ramp electric production up or down to meet demand. Usually only small scale solar and wind electric producers have storage capability

Actually the Buford Powerhouse is always producing power (except in a few rare instances). The small generator runs all the time to produce minimum flow in the river and to power adjacent parks, Corps lake office, and maintenance areas. Any left over goes into the grid. The cool thing about hydro power production on the Chattahoochee River is as the water travels downstream it enables electric production at other hydro plants.

Keeping the electric grid operational is a highly coordinated task involving private, public and government power producers as well as transmission companies. Here is a link describing the producers in GA. https://www.energystar.gov/ia/partne...eorgia_508.pdf

Last edited by natureman; 10-14-17 at 10:56 PM.
natureman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-17, 08:21 PM   #9
Trout8myfly
Past Director, Hall of Fame Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ch035 View Post
That's cool info. Thanks- now I'm down a rabbit hole that requires math on a Saturday night. Some days they don't release at all during the summer. So they can can't they store enough power to power the grid during peak season. Now- why can't they do this at night?
It's the guys who run the black helicopters. They conspire with the Illuminati who control the grid and demand electricity to power their underwater mansions.

Seriously, it's the grid. When it calls, the dam answers. Generation schedules may also link to staff availability so someone is on hand to monitor operations. But mostly it's when the wider grid needs the power. Or if the dam needs to shove water downstream.

Trout management - or to put it another way, non-native fish management - is not even on the agenda. Having a tailwater is just a bonus of the impoundment.
Trout8myfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-17, 08:42 PM   #10
splatek16
Native

All makes sense.
Thanks y'all