NGTO Message Board
Welcome to NGTO!
Home ] [ Membership ] [ Donations ] [ Feedback ] [ Stream Reviews ] [ Stream Reports ] [ Maps ] [ Events ] [ Articles ] [ Rules and Regulations ] [ Archives ] Message Board ] FAQ ] [ Hall of Fame ] Sponsors & Supporters ] About ] [ Witticisms ] [ Distinguished Members ]
Welcome to NGTO!

Go Back   NGTO Message Board > Fishing Reports > Beyond Georgia
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-16-17, 08:29 PM   #1
ChaChung
Native

Default GSMNP camping and fishing

This past weekend I packed up the family and met up with friends at a popular campground in NC side of GSMNP. Since it was a family trip, I wasn't able to concentrate on fishing as much as I wanted but still managed to get a good amount of fishing in. Leaves were turning and some were floating in the water but not enough to get irritating. Water was crystal clear, which meant farther casting but the creek allowed space for back casting so it wasn't s hard area to fish.

[IMG][/IMG]

Throughout the weekend I fished the entire length of the creek that runs along the campground and a bit more. Although the guide books talk about how much pressure that part of the creek gets and that the fishing gets much better if you hike up last the campgrounds a couple of miles, I had pretty good luck fishing the campground and did not see anyone else fishing the area.

I ended up with 25+ wild fish to net. Most of them were beautifully colored bows of about 4 to 8 inches.

I had some baby browns as well but I ended up hooking into a 12 inch wild brown right across from our camp site! I was fishing my 7.5 ft 3 weight and it gave a great fight before finally ending up in my net. I never caught wild trout brown trout of that size in a creek before especially where kids were going in and out disturbing the water. Needless to say, I was pleasantly surprised.

[IMG][/IMG]

I pretty much caught all my fish on 2 flies. Size 14 EHC wad the most productive and the brown took this as well. For a while i fished a moonshine midge dropper and had some luck with it also but eventually cut it off since most strikes came on the dry. A friend fished an Adams Parachute and it seemed to produce as well.

Next time I am in the area, I am definitely going to head further upstream for the chance to land a grand slam in the national park.

Some days I'm the hook and some days I'm the fish.

Instagram @charles_the_toothsmith
ChaChung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-17, 07:28 AM   #2
richf7
Native

Beautiful fish, CC. Is that a sling pack over your right shoulder? I like the ability to fasten accessories to it.
richf7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-17, 07:32 AM   #3
splatek16
Native

Great report; Gorgeous wild fish!
Great job!
splatek16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-17, 07:33 AM   #4
GoutUnlimited
Native

Awesome brown, glad you didn't need to use that whistle.
Old 10-17-17, 07:52 AM   #5
ChaChung
Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by richf7 View Post
Beautiful fish, CC. Is that a sling pack over your right shoulder? I like the ability to fasten accessories to it.
Thanks guys.

Yes. It's the Orvis sling pack. I have been using it for a year and a half and no complaints.

GOUT: Whether I used that whistle during this trip is not within the scope of this post. Don't ask don't tell. Haha

Old 10-17-17, 01:17 PM   #6
Streamside Sam
Native

Great report and pix. The wild fish are bigger there no doubt. Awesome.
Old 10-19-17, 06:46 AM   #7
DoubleRainbow
Native

Awesome Charles!! Those are some great fish!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
DoubleRainbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-17, 07:23 PM   #8
jgraham140
Native

Beautiful fish. I think I was in the same campground this past weekend (October 12th-17th) and will post a story and photos tomorrow. I camped with a former student and we did fairly well by hiking 2-1/2 miles above the campground, and then fishing the campground stretch by our campsite in the evening. Mornings were slow until the water warmed up a bit. We had most of our action on small flies (#18-20), except in the evening when we fished October Caddis imitations (#10). We saw at least one huge 25 inch brown that must have come from the nearby delayed harvest.

John
jgraham140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-17, 09:04 AM   #9
ChaChung
Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgraham140 View Post
Beautiful fish. I think I was in the same campground this past weekend (October 12th-17th) and will post a story and photos tomorrow. I camped with a former student and we did fairly well by hiking 2-1/2 miles above the campground, and then fishing the campground stretch by our campsite in the evening. Mornings were slow until the water warmed up a bit. We had most of our action on small flies (#18-20), except in the evening when we fished October Caddis imitations (#10). We saw at least one huge 25 inch brown that must have come from the nearby delayed harvest.

John
Cool. I guess we were there at the same time. I was at the group campsite # 1 at Smokemont. October 13-15th. We sure had some great weather.

25 inch brown? That's crazy! Was that one up above the campground along the hiking trail?

Old 10-23-17, 01:56 PM   #10
ChefKy
Native

Awesome report and beautiful fish. This is whats its all about!!

-Tom Brokaw-
ChefKy is offline   Reply With Quote