NGTO Message Board
Welcome to NGTO!
Home ] [ Membership ] [ Donations ] [ Feedback ] [ Stream Reviews ] [ Stream Reports ] [ Maps ] [ Events ] [ Articles ] [ Rules and Regulations ] [ Archives ] Message Board ] FAQ ] [ Hall of Fame ] Sponsors & Supporters ] About ] [ Witticisms ] [ Distinguished Members ]
Welcome to NGTO!

Go Back   NGTO Message Board > Fishing Reports > Beyond Georgia
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-18-17, 09:06 AM   #1
Just Troutin Around
Native

Default Smokey Mountains Gatlinburg area

Im going to be up in that area next weekend. Can anyone recommend a guide company? or a spot / Area to check out
Just Troutin Around is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-17, 09:32 AM   #2
ChaChung
Native

I stayed in Gatlinburg and fished a bit back in March. I found this book extremely helpful.

https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi..._fL05zbR4GCV3Y

There is just so much water to fish. I fished right off of 441 on one of those quiet walkway parking lots south of the visitor center. Beautiful waters and picked up some rainbows even though it was blown out due to a thunderstorm overnight.

Some days I'm the hook and some days I'm the fish.

Instagram @charles_the_toothsmith
ChaChung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-17, 12:24 PM   #3
mudrun
Stocker

GSMNP Angler's Companion by Ian Rutter is what I used for my recent trip to the NC side - was really useful. I also have the Nat Geo Topo map for the GSMNP, the brown trails book, and a much older copy of the trails guide (the blue book).

The older guide is interesting because it has trails that have been abandoned or neglected or unsupported - some of which are of interest.

I have never gone out with R and R Fly Fishing Guides, but their blog was really useful and I have spoken to them on the phone a few times.

Parachute Adams was a reliable pattern up and down the creeks last week, in the meadows and up the mountains. Didn't get a speck, but the wild browns and rainbows were active.

Get out there!
mudrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-17, 02:00 PM   #4
Just Troutin Around
Native

I'm looking at hiking up to Abrams falls and fishing along Abrams creek. I was going up there for another reason but figured since its a 3 hour hike I would bring my pole and give it a shot. In case it doesn't work out wanted to check out a guide.

Going to bring a travel spinning kit with single hooks. I sold all my fly gear to upgrade and haven't bought anything yet so that is why I may get a guide and use there fly gear. Thanks for the suggestions so far
Just Troutin Around is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-17, 03:22 PM   #5
mudrun
Stocker

Never done Abrams but ... my daughter has crushed streams on the southern end of the park with 1/16th gold and black Panther Martins. Her ideal setup is a pool that starts with a small rapid, falls, or obstruction over which the river flows - she will cast into the rough part (obscuring the splash, she says) and slowly pull it back.

It's all gotta be just right, but when it works, it works. Sometimes maddeningly so. Kid catches one trout but lines out everything in the pool while I am still ninja-tunnelling through rhodendron.
mudrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-17, 09:44 PM   #6
The Ole Man
Past Director, Past CFO,

This guy has been selling trips out of Gatlinburg on ebay for quite a while. Saturday and Sunday only. Been guiding the Smokies for 25 years. Half Day $150, Full Day $300. Apparently will take you anywhere you want to go in the Smokies. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Guided-Fly-...MAAOSwLF1YB8rN Be advised, as long as you are IN THE BOUNDARY of the Park a Tenn or NC license is acceptable. The NC license costs less. There is a fly shop in Gatlinburg--- "The Smokey Mountain Angler". They have a Guide Service also. Half Day, one angler $175. Google em.
The Ole Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-17, 10:04 PM   #7
Swamp Angel
President

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Ole Man View Post
Be advised, as long as you are IN THE BOUNDARY of the Park a Tenn or NC license is acceptable. The NC license costs less.
Excellent advice, Jack. You save me beaucoup bucks when you told me about this a few years ago!
If you have difficulty understanding the post above, read it out loud and it should make sense. This NGTO member is known for his poor hill-billy upbringing and his affinity for all things from Louisiana (particularly if it relates to LSU). It makes for a poor mix of accents and much difficulty in translation. He was doing well for so long, but now seems to have regressed.
Swamp Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-17, 10:41 PM   #8
Aardvark
Native

Those Tennessee non resident licenses are printed on gold leaf paper. The last time I was in Gatlinburg, I just stayed in town and bought a city license. I actually caught some trout, too. I could ask a friend who lives in Nashville to buy me a resident license, but then I would feel like Gene Wilder in "Silver Streak".
Aardvark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-17, 12:07 AM   #9
natureman
Native

I don't understand why a TN non-resident license requires so much personal information. It's not like you can cheat them out of money since you are paying the top rate. Your name and zip code should be good enough.
natureman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-17, 01:11 AM   #10
troutbum69
Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by natureman View Post
I don't understand why a TN non-resident license requires so much personal information. It's not like you can cheat them out of money since you are paying the top rate. Your name and zip code should be good enough.

All licensing asks for ssn, address, email, phone number now. Fun fact. Arkansas asks out of state hunters if they have a hunter education number. In theory every hunter born after 1961 in ga has one. 2 guys I know personally don't have them and live in ga and buy licenses every year. I know this because riding to AR to duck hunt with one I was buying a license on my phone on the road and when I got to the hunter ed # he said"I always just click the I don't know box" I did it and sure enough they gave me a license just the same. What good is the program if all our states don't enforce it? The same guy had a valid ga hunting license when I asked him how he had one without hunter Ed. He's my age 26. This probably explains why I got a jury summons for Fulton county even though I haven't lived there in over a year. Big brother isn't so big after all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"Stop Whining"
troutbum69 is offline   Reply With Quote