NGTO Message Board
Welcome to NGTO!
Home ] [ Membership ] [ Donations ] [ Feedback ] [ Stream Reviews ] [ Stream Reports ] [ Maps ] [ Events ] [ Articles ] [ Rules and Regulations ] [ Archives ] Message Board ] FAQ ] [ Hall of Fame ] Sponsors & Supporters ] About ] [ Witticisms ] [ Distinguished Members ]
Welcome to NGTO!

Go Back   NGTO Message Board > Fishing Reports > Beyond Georgia
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-20-17, 01:13 PM   #1
HILLIS LANIER
Native

Default Fires Creek North Carolina

Yesterday afternoon my wife and I went up to North Carolina and I fished the DH section of Fires Creek. The stream was clear and low. I only caught 5, not many but they were big, fat, and pretty and fun to catch. I caught them on a beaded black wooly bugger and beaded green squirmy. I am attaching 3 pics. The other two I caught were similar but pics are foggy so I am not attaching pics of them. Afterwards my wife and I went to my favorite BBQ joint, Jim's Smokin' Que outside Blairsville for dinner. Their tag line is "You can smell our butts miles away." Beautiful day on a beautiful stream, beautiful fish, and great BBQ. What more can you ask for, maybe DH season in Georgia. Can't wait. [IMG]IMG_9534 by JOHN LANIER, on Flickr[/IMG]
[IMG]IMG_9530 by JOHN LANIER, on Flickr[/IMG]
[IMG]IMG_9531 by JOHN LANIER, on Flickr[/IMG]
Old 10-23-17, 03:01 PM   #2
Native, formerly mwmclaughlin1908

great stuff! I fished Fires for the first time earlier this month. Definitely plan on going back and exploring further up past the DH next time as well.

thanks for posting!
Old 10-23-17, 04:30 PM   #3
Sam_MTB
Native

Thanks for the report! Still haven't had the chance to head up there yet, but hopefully a free weekend is coming soon!
Old 10-23-17, 11:36 PM   #4
FlickNdip
Native

Really nice trout!

Team Georgia Competitive Fly Fishing Team now has a Facebook Page and an Instagram Page . Check them out for great information, pictures and events!

New to fly fishing? Check out Monthlyfly.com For localized Match The Hatch Flies mailed to your door!
FlickNdip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-17, 11:40 AM   #5
what-knot
Native

Fires Creek is on my short list of places to fish next.... maybe tomorrow
Old 11-07-17, 10:53 AM   #6
Sam_MTB
Native

Default Creek Report - 11/4

I headed up to Fires Creek for a few hours on Saturday. This was my first time fishing there, and once I saw the parking lot with a few cars, I continued to drive up the gravel road until I found a pull-off with a trail down to the river. We fished for 4 or so hours and caught bows, browns, and brookies on the usual DH stuff (San Juans, Mops, Rubber Legs, and Woolly Buggers). There was one hole above the paved trail that had a few large fish that we could get to follow, but not get to eat. Great time & weather up in the mountains.
Old 11-07-17, 02:26 PM   #7
HILLIS LANIER
Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam_MTB View Post
I headed up to Fires Creek for a few hours on Saturday. This was my first time fishing there, and once I saw the parking lot with a few cars, I continued to drive up the gravel road until I found a pull-off with a trail down to the river. We fished for 4 or so hours and caught bows, browns, and brookies on the usual DH stuff (San Juans, Mops, Rubber Legs, and Woolly Buggers). There was one hole above the paved trail that had a few large fish that we could get to follow, but not get to eat. Great time & weather up in the mountains.
Thanks for the report Sam. I have only fished near the picnic area. Next time I fish Fires Creek I will have to drive up the mountain and try there. Someone else said the fishing was good or better up there.
Old 11-07-17, 03:20 PM   #8
Skeezix
Stocker

Default Fires Creek Bows

There are some bows pushing 25 inches in there...
Skeezix is offline   Reply With Quote