NGTO Message Board
Welcome to NGTO!
Home ] [ Membership ] [ Donations ] [ Feedback ] [ Stream Reviews ] [ Stream Reports ] [ Maps ] [ Events ] [ Articles ] [ Rules and Regulations ] [ Archives ] Message Board ] FAQ ] [ Hall of Fame ] Sponsors & Supporters ] About ] [ Witticisms ] [ Distinguished Members ]
Welcome to NGTO!

Go Back   NGTO Message Board > Fishing Reports > North Georgia Rivers--Trout Reports
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-28-17, 04:11 PM   #1
vreesor
Native

Send a message via Yahoo to vreesor
Default Chatooga Safety

Since the stories of people's cars parked for fishing the Chatooga being broken into most likely to steal items to sell for drugs, I have avoided the Chatooga. I miss the river, because it was always a fun and beautiful place to fish. So, I am wondering if this type of mischief is still happening? And I have read advice to simply bring only the gear you will wear and carry and leave nothing behind in the car while you are fishing, then leave the car unlocked and wide open so you remove the attraction for vandalism. However, my cynical mind wonders what the danger would be for someone to see that, know why I did it, and then out of just pure vindictiveness and maliciousness, cut open my Jeep convertible top, or key the side of my Jeep.

I welcome all comments, advice and experience here, because I really would like to feel comfortable visiting the Chatooga DH again.

Thanks to all.
vreesor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-17, 04:25 PM   #2
Buck Henry
Former NGTO President, Sith Lord, FKA Bhuk Henri

There will always be some level of risk when parking your vehicle in a remote location. If it were me, I would take only what I need, leave nothing for them to steal, and leave the vehicle unlocked. If the worse happens and they do decide to vandalize your vehicle out of spite, I guess that is what insurance is for. You can only do so much.

Buck Henry
Simple Goat Herder
Former NGTO President
Hall of Fame Member
Buck Henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-17, 06:42 PM   #3
Killer Kyle
Native

Buck Henry is right. You simply cannot control what other people do or do not do. And you can't pass up opportunities and live in fear of the "maybe" that's out there. The Chattooga DH is great. I've fished there more times than I can count, even with valuable goods in the car, and have never once had an issue. The few instances of reported incidents don't represent the vast majority who have never had any issue at all. Get out there, slay some fish, and have a great time! If something does happen, just call the insurance company, and move on. You won't regret it. The Chattooga is too beautiful a place to stay away from!
Killer Kyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-17, 09:34 PM   #4
The Ole Man
Past Director, Past CFO,

No need for special fear at the Chatooga or remote parking places. You can have the same fear right here on the Chattahoochee, in a National Park parking lot, in the daytime. Last year the Georgia Women Fly Fishers had an event at Paces Mill. They parked in the parking lot there, in the daytime. Thieves broke into their vehicles and made off with over $10,000 of goods. Yep--sometimes they will also bash your vehicle for not having anything to steal. Happened to a NGTO member a few years back at Whitewater parking lot. Nothing in his vehicle so they smashed his windows. It's pot luck every time you head out.

Breakins are so common in Tenn and NC that South East Fly Fishing Forum has a sub forum under the Information Forum titled "Ripped Off and Theft Information".

Last edited by The Ole Man; 10-28-17 at 09:39 PM.
The Ole Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-17, 11:25 PM   #5
Killer Kyle
Native

A few years ago, I was scouting for bear season on the AT, and I met a random guy on the trail. We talked about this and that. He noticed my side arm, and said "I see your pistol there. That's a good idea with all of the bears and hogs in the area!". I said "oh, no, this isn't for the bears...it's for the people". He was taken aback and had a surprised look on his face, and I explained 'I park out in the middle of nowhere, and often come out late at night. Every place has it's problem children, and if I come out and am subject to robbery or someone breaking into my car, I can handle it".
I'd venture to say that 50%+ of the people on this forum are from the Atlanta or metro area. Those people are the ones that truly need to fear car break-ins.
Killer Kyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-17, 11:09 AM   #6
fishtacos
Native

There's nothing to "fear" about a car break in. It's just property. And having gone to the chattooga at various access points more times than I can count on my hands and toes in the last year or so, I have never had any strange encounters or break ins. And honestly I am pretty careless about leaving my gear conspicuous. Can it happen? Sure. But I **** well won't let the potential of someone stealing my $20 eagle claw stop me from going to a place like the 'toog. And I have never felt the need to carry a gun while fishing there. More power to you I guess.
fishtacos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-17, 11:16 AM   #7
fishtacos
Native

Actually on second thought, it's crawling with meth heads - virtually a scene from the Walking Dead but in real life. Not only are they thieves but they are cannibals too that especially like women and children. Pure lawlessness up there. Don't go unless you have an AR or something of similar firepower. And for the love of God, do not take your car under any circumstances.
fishtacos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-17, 03:18 PM   #8
andymoore
Native

Yeah, the Chattooga is real rough... Not worth the mediocre fishing to compromise your safety. Better keep on moving!!
andymoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-17, 03:35 PM   #9
pjciii
Native

you can steal everything..i have insurance. just leave my TP its just that bigfoot once you get back up in there a good ways that i cant out run
patrick
pjciii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-17, 08:35 PM   #10
Trout "R"
NGTO Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer Kyle View Post
A few years ago, I was scouting for bear season on the AT, and I met a random guy on the trail. We talked about this and that. He noticed my side arm, and said "I see your pistol there. That's a good idea with all of the bears and hogs in the area!". I said "oh, no, this isn't for the bears...it's for the people". He was taken aback and had a surprised look on his face, and I explained 'I park out in the middle of nowhere, and often come out late at night. Every place has it's problem children, and if I come out and am subject to robbery or someone breaking into my car, I can handle it".
I'd venture to say that 50%+ of the people on this forum are from the Atlanta or metro area. Those people are the ones that truly need to fear car break-ins.
Kyle
I like you are not worried about mother nature. But like the song says "People are crazy" I don't leave the house without a firearm on me. Just for that simple reason. And I am very blessed that I have never had a reason to upholster it. And I hope I never do!!!!