NGTO Message Board
Welcome to NGTO!
Home ] [ Membership ] [ Donations ] [ Feedback ] [ Stream Reviews ] [ Stream Reports ] [ Maps ] [ Events ] [ Articles ] [ Rules and Regulations ] [ Archives ] Message Board ] FAQ ] [ Hall of Fame ] Sponsors & Supporters ] About ] [ Witticisms ] [ Distinguished Members ]
Welcome to NGTO!

Go Back   NGTO Message Board > Fishing Reports > Chattahoochee River
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-08-17, 01:07 PM   #11
Trout8myfly
Past Director, Hall of Fame Member

Default Paces Mill stocked yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by trout1980 View Post
Thanks

I was under the impression brown trout from the river were/are wild.
Upstream from Morgan Falls Dam then yes, they can be “wild” or river-born. Below the Dam, not so much. The water gets too warm to sustain a large trout population; brown, rainbow or brookieswhicharereallycharandyoucanlookitup.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited by Trout8myfly; 11-08-17 at 03:57 PM.
Trout8myfly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-17, 04:13 PM   #12
baldea
BOD, Hall of Fame

Browns are not stocked above Morgan Falls. So those would be stream born although some will argue that they are decedents of stocked fish.

Want to Help Ease DNR's Budget Woes? Buy a TU license Plate!

baldea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-17, 04:30 PM   #13
Philhutch80
Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by baldea View Post
Browns are not stocked above Morgan Falls. So those would be stream born although some will argue that they are decedents of stocked fish.
Semantics at this point as the fish above are essentially turning into their own gene pool. The browns occurring from Morgan Falls to Buford Dam are also of a different strain than what is stocked for the DH. All the photos I have seen indicate some healthy looking fish so far gents!
Philhutch80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-17, 06:13 PM   #14
baldea
BOD, Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philhutch80 View Post
Semantics at this point as the fish above are essentially turning into their own gene pool. The browns occurring from Morgan Falls to Buford Dam are also of a different strain than what is stocked for the DH. All the photos I have seen indicate some healthy looking fish so far gents!
The only reason they'd be a different strain is if the State of Georgia started importing different strains which I highly doubt.

Want to Help Ease DNR's Budget Woes? Buy a TU license Plate!

baldea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-17, 07:53 PM   #15
trout1980
Native

Thanks

looks like some nice browns are being stocked

Need to be big enough to avoid the stripers
trout1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-17, 03:28 PM   #16
Dsaporsky
Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by trout1980 View Post
Thanks

looks like some nice browns are being stocked

Need to be big enough to avoid the stripers
Lol, big enough to avoid the stripers. Did you know that anglers use 16" gizzard shad to fish for stripers? I doubt there are many browns or bows anywhere in the river that can avoid being eaten simply because of their size. I would assume avoiding the stripes is more a function of stealth than size.

Having said that, I caught a holdover brown last weekend between the ramp at paces and the bridge. Probably only 12" long.
Dsaporsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-17, 11:24 AM   #17
Just Troutin Around
Native

How often do they stock this section during the DH season? Planning going today after work since Last Friday had some good fishing
Just Troutin Around is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-17, 03:43 PM   #18
Philhutch80
Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by baldea View Post
The only reason they'd be a different strain is if the State of Georgia started importing different strains which I highly doubt.
@Baldea, it was talked about extensively in this particular paper actually. From what I gather off of this paper was that the strain commonly used by the federal stocking program went up against some other strains to figure out which performed the best in the fishery. Walhalla won over the Plymouth Rock Strain. Good read regardless. I would be interested to hear @Splatek16's opining as well due to his science background.
http://outdoorrecreationdata.com/Sta...igation_03.pdf
Philhutch80 is offline   Reply With Quote