NGTO Message Board
Welcome to NGTO!
Home ] [ Membership ] [ Donations ] [ Feedback ] [ Stream Reviews ] [ Stream Reports ] [ Maps ] [ Events ] [ Articles ] [ Rules and Regulations ] [ Archives ] Message Board ] FAQ ] [ Hall of Fame ] Sponsors & Supporters ] About ] [ Witticisms ] [ Distinguished Members ]
Welcome to NGTO!

Go Back   NGTO Message Board > NGTO Fishing Forums > Fishing Tips and Techniques
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-02-17, 08:49 AM   #1
Big T
BOD HOF SSQTCH

Default Check your testosterone at the river bank

Ok, females get a pass on this one. They are smarter and usually don't fall into some of the same traps us manly men do.

Reflecting on many guide trips and my personal fishing habits I have found several areas that we tend to "man up" in a detrimental way.

Casting - Often time we try and fish too far away. The end result is often times too much slack, a poor drift due to dealing with multiple conflicting currents, and overlining fish sitting in between you and your target.

In addition, force does not translate into distance. Casting harder rarely results in casting further, unless you have good form.

Hooksets - Never watch a bass fishing show before you go fish for trout! A good hookset needs to be in the direction the river is flowing, quick crisp and fast but not long. Once you feel the fish you need to stop to keep from breaking fish off or pulling hooks. This is especially true for light tippet. If you struggle with this, follow the stocking truck and find an area with a high population of fish to practice.

Gear - Technology is our friend. You don't always need the big gun. It no longer is necessary to use a 6 weight to catch large trout. Don't get me wrong if you plan on slinging meat for a hawg go big. But I have no problem landing 20 plus inch trout in less than a minute on a 10 fgoot 3 weight. This gives you the advantage of using lighter tippet which is not only less visible but gets your flies down quicker and gives a more natural presentation.

On the flip side if you can get away with stronger tippet do! I have to check my fishing ego sometimes when I find myself fishing 7x in dirty water. While it is kind of cool to be able to say you caught "that" fish on 7x, go with the heaviest gear the conditions allow unless you are practicing the use of light stuff.

Clothing - I am probably not the best person to talk about this one. I tend to wear less stuff than I should in the cold and forget sunscreen a lot. But as winter approaches, dress in layers, use good base layers and avoid cotton. Always wear eye protection and sunscreen.

Learning from others - Just because someone is not as experienced or accomplished as an angler does not mean they can't teach you a thing or two. This can be difficult when fishing with someone who talks a lot and offers advice on things you learned many moons ago, but often they know something you don't or have tried something you haven't.

A few years ago I fished with a young man named Alex. He was mostly a spin fisherman and wanted to throw a fly rod a little. While at the time I was a better fly fisherman, I quickly found out I had a lot to learn from him. In fact I know there is a lot I could still learn from him.

Wading - Know your limits and don't try to push it, especially if you are fishing alone. As we age this becomes especially hard so realize that it is OK that you can't do what you did ten years ago.

Fish On ---- Big T

Use Promo Code NGTO for 5% off
Big T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-17, 11:06 AM   #2
gau16
Native

T, this is great. Thanks for your insight.

Clothing is one thing I probably need to make a little more of an investment in.

I always am fishing is cotton shirts. In the summer it doesn't matter so much(as long as I remember sunscreen) because they're short sleeve but in the winter if I have to go dipping my arm in the water or take a fall, it makes for a cold a clamy rest of the day.

You recommenced polyester or any synthetic gear is best I assume?
gau16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-17, 11:34 AM   #3
splatek16

Good, no great, stuff T.
This past summer I came into some zip off pants/shorts made of some sort of magical material that dries in an instant. Not only are these great for wet wading (so you aren't in a slop puddle in the truck on the way home), but also great in the winter to wick sweat etc.

Wading is my biggest issue. I tend to fish areas which I "Know" however recently I discovered that the river can trick us by moving things like logs... into places and those logs reach out and grab your boot and then ... yikes. I need a wading staff, but I think my ego has been getting in the way of that. Xmas is coming... Wassup Santa?

THanks for this article.
splatek16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-17, 11:57 PM   #4
Alexander.Foti
Native

Enjoyed this post. Like the reminder on hooks sets...reminded me of Terry Mort book... so much about fly fishing is logical/practical but easy to forget. Thanks!
Old 11-03-17, 06:06 AM   #5
Big T
BOD HOF SSQTCH

Quote:
Originally Posted by gau16 View Post
T, this is great. Thanks for your insight.

Clothing is one thing I probably need to make a little more of an investment in.

I always am fishing is cotton shirts. In the summer it doesn't matter so much(as long as I remember sunscreen) because they're short sleeve but in the winter if I have to go dipping my arm in the water or take a fall, it makes for a cold a clamy rest of the day.

You recommenced polyester or any synthetic gear is best I assume?
RScott wears Spanx, it's a good blend of synthetics.

Use Promo Code NGTO for 5% off
Big T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-17, 09:49 AM   #6
Da Da's Fishing
Internet Technologies Officer, Director, Hall of Fame Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big T View Post
AND now I have that image in my head... Thanks a lot Big T...

DD F
Old 11-03-17, 10:08 AM   #7
Buck Henry
Former NGTO President, Sith Lord, FKA Bhuk Henri

The don't call cotton "dead man's clothing" for nothing. I am an old school wool guy, but the modern synthetics are also very good at trapping heat when wet. Also, always keep a spare set of clothes in the car when fishing in cold weather.

Buck Henry
Simple Goat Herder
Former NGTO President
Hall of Fame Member
Buck Henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-17, 10:17 AM   #8
gau16
Native

:::Adds Spanx to shopping cart:::

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big T View Post
gau16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-17, 10:23 AM   #9
Buck Henry
Former NGTO President, Sith Lord, FKA Bhuk Henri

Default Warning: Thread Detour Ahead!

I want to "go fishing" with the Spanx lady.

Buck Henry
Simple Goat Herder
Former NGTO President
Hall of Fame Member

Last edited by Buck Henry; 11-03-17 at 10:39 AM.
Buck Henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-17, 12:37 PM   #10
JOHNKIES
Hall of Fame Member

Thumbs up Excellent Thread!

An excellent and timely thread as we morph from warm weather to cooler and later the cold. As mentioned, layers are the key. As for any of the BOD wearing Spanx of any kind - - please not right before lunch! Some of the new fabrics are great in their function but for warmer weather I feel like my skin can't breath while wearing it. For warm to hot, I will take cotton. Also, they can say what they want about graphite changing fly fishing .... my vote for biggest change agent is Goretek and fleece!

One other thing to be mindful of is the time change back to standard time. Next weekend you may head out and not recall the change and find yourself in the dark in the woods on the river. Take a light!
JOHNKIES is offline   Reply With Quote