NGTO Message Board
Welcome to NGTO!
Home ] [ Membership ] [ Donations ] [ Feedback ] [ Stream Reviews ] [ Stream Reports ] [ Maps ] [ Events ] [ Articles ] [ Rules and Regulations ] [ Archives ] Message Board ] FAQ ] [ Hall of Fame ] Sponsors & Supporters ] About ] [ Witticisms ] [ Distinguished Members ]
Welcome to NGTO!

Go Back   NGTO Message Board > Other NGTO Forums > Firearms & Shooting
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-29-17, 07:42 AM   #1
Buck Henry
Former NGTO President, Sith Lord, FKA Bhuk Henri

Default Colt M1911

OK, I have been watching too much Longmire on Netflix and am really digging the stag handled M1911 that Sheriff Longmire carries in the show. Anyone have one and what do you like / dislike about them?

Buck Henry
Simple Goat Herder
Former NGTO President
Hall of Fame Member
Buck Henry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-17, 08:43 AM   #2
vancheesey
Native

Just felt like starting a little argument this morning? Are you looking at this just for owning and shooting or will this be an everyday carry? I think 911s are great guns to own and shoot for fun but totally unrealistic for EDC as a personal defense weapon. Certainly looks very cool though.
Old 07-29-17, 09:02 AM   #3
Buck Henry

Quote:
Originally Posted by vancheesey View Post
but totally unrealistic for EDC as a personal defense weapon.
Interesting statement, but I have to ask why you feel that way? Seems to me a few million soldiers going all the way back to WW1 thought they were adequate as a personal defense weapon.

Buck Henry
Simple Goat Herder
Former NGTO President
Hall of Fame Member
Old 07-29-17, 09:17 AM   #4
vancheesey
Native

Let me preface by saying that I am not a gun expert, but I have been carrying and using guns for nearly 30 years... as a person who carries every day I have found that the 1911 style and size are uncomfortable and difficult to wear every day in normal life....second, when I was a swat operator we carried a SIG in .45 and it's an amazing weapon but only carries 10 rounds and that big boy bucks when fired making muzzle control and follow up shots difficult. Lastly that first trigger pull getting that hammer back can be a bear. For EDC I am a huge fan of 9mm...the new ammos that are out are hugely effective and dumping energy into a body cavity and stopping. I worked a homicide where the dead guy took 11 9mm hollow points all over his body at close range and not a single round over penetrated. A typical 9mm round traveling roughly 800 f/ps that can stop in less than 24" of body space is deadly effective. I also like that my glock carries 17 rounds and is slim and low profile enough to carry comfortably. I'm not anti 1911 or .45...they are beautiful crafted guns and are a blast to shoot, but for me, being totally pragmatic rather than emotional, for EDC I prefer glock or similar in 9mm... let the arguments commence...
Old 07-29-17, 09:20 AM   #5
vancheesey
Native

Also, as a former army infantryman, what we carried and used in combat differs in a big way from what a person needs in every day life
Old 07-29-17, 11:25 AM   #6
Buck Henry

I can certainly buy the argument on the 1911 being a bit big and bulky for EDC especially when compared to the compact pistols that are all the rage today. But I would have little concern that a .45 slug would not do enough bodily damage when called in to action.

Slight deviation from topic, but anyone else like watching Longmire? The dude is like a bad a$$ Andy Griffith! Now I will say that county in Wyoming has a boat load of murders. A few more seasons of this show and there won't be anyone left but the Sheriff.

Buck Henry
Simple Goat Herder
Former NGTO President
Hall of Fame Member
Old 07-29-17, 11:33 AM   #7
vancheesey
Native

I haven't watched longmire, I'll have to check it out! I have tons of photos of wounds from different calibers of ammo that I obviously share here, but if you ever wanted to see a comparison that could be possible. Either way, those pistols are sharp looking and i bet they're a ton of fun to shoot!
Old 07-29-17, 01:07 PM   #8
Magoo
Native

There is no "getting the hammer back with a first trigger pull" on a 1911. It isn't a double action revolver. Also, a 1911 is about as thin of a profile as any other pistol. A good holster goes a long way on carrying one. Further, a 5-inch barrel is not your only option. Check out the Colt Defender series - aluminum frames and a 3-inch barrel.
Magoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-17, 02:13 PM   #9
Trout8myfly
Past Director, Hall of Fame Member

Not the pistol used in the series but similar in look (no, not mine, but that would be nice):

Trout8myfly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-17, 02:28 PM   #10
vancheesey
Native

That's a sharp looking pistol. I wasnt totally clear, I've never carried a 1911. I used to carry a sig p220 in .45 and that is based on a 1911 but is not a 1911. Our sigs were double action and did not have a manual safety and we did not carry them with the hammer back. Those particular pistols had a very long trigger pull on the first shot. In head to head swat team shooting competitions with other tier 1 teams, those that carried 9mm, especially the ones with the ported barrels, smoked our team every time. Reloading while in full entry gear with a bunker or barricade is extremely difficult and that becomes an issue when you only have 10 rounds vs. 17 +/- Besides the whole "chicken or egg" debate, what caliber to carry is the second oldest debate. The only thing I have to draw on is my own experience and I know what works for me. I know if I could afford a Sig P220 Legion or a Kimber Raptor II I most certainly would, I just wouldn't carry them every day because they don't match my needs and my lifestyle