NGTO Message Board
Welcome to NGTO!
Home ] [ Membership ] [ Donations ] [ Feedback ] [ Stream Reviews ] [ Stream Reports ] [ Maps ] [ Events ] [ Articles ] [ Rules and Regulations ] [ Archives ] Message Board ] FAQ ] [ Hall of Fame ] Sponsors & Supporters ] About ] [ Witticisms ] [ Distinguished Members ]
Welcome to NGTO!

Go Back   NGTO Message Board > Fishing Reports > N. Georgia Small Streams--Trout Reports
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-30-17, 10:58 AM   #1
jfgros01
Native

Default Hog Encounter

Wife was out of town this weekend so I decided to hit up a blue-line Sunday that worked well for me in the past. The walk to the stream is about a half mile down a steep embankment. I arrived at a nice hole, crouched down and get my rod out. After just a couple casts I noticed something moving across the stream tucked back in some rhodo about 15 yards away from me. At first I thought it was a bear but I quickly realized it was a pair of black feral pigs.

Now, let me just say that I know nothing about feral pig behavior. I worked on a farm for two summers in college and they had two rules the owners stressed the most: make sure the fence isn't hot before touching, and NEVER get in the paddock with the large pigs. They had a group of juvenile pigs that I had to get in the pen with to feed, move around and they were aggressive, nasty little animals.

Since this is the only experience with pigs I have had, I was uneasy. The one was a huge (i assume) female, the other was a bit smaller, likely a juvenile. I was surprised they didn't see, smell, or otherwise sense me so I slowly collapsed my rod and started backing away. At this point it became aware of me and started shuffling around in the brush and let out a squeal so loud it made the hairs on my neck stand up. They set off downstream and I made off in the other direction. That encounter set the tone for the rest of the trip. I couldn't shake that feeling that something was around every fallen tree. I tried fishing up stream for a bit but I just couldn't relax enough to enjoy myself. I went downstream to an easy to access fishing area and pulled out a couple of little rainbows.

Actually caught a fish on a fly I tied which is pretty cool(just tied my first half dozen the night before). It was an ugly BH pheasant tail with a reverse hackle but it managed to fool the fish. Sorry for the lack of pictures, gloves and an iphone don't work well for me.

I know people go hog hunting with nothing more than their dogs.... so exactly how dangerous are feral hogs ?
jfgros01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-17, 11:27 AM   #2
iso1600
Native

that woulda given me the heebie-jeebies as well.
Old 10-30-17, 03:18 PM   #3
ChaChung
Native

Your in-stream stealth must be darn good to have gotten that close to some wild hogs.

I noticed a lot of hog activity in some of the areas I fished earlier in the year. They've been known to charge at people with their sharp tusks so you should be ready to jump on a tree or something if they start charging.

I've shot one before when I was trying-out hunting and it was pretty good to eat except they're very lean.

Some days I'm the hook and some days I'm the fish.

Instagram @charles_the_toothsmith
ChaChung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-17, 08:31 PM   #4
baldea
BOD, Hall of Fame

Bears, snakes, Sasquatch I can deal with. The things that scare the beegeezees out of me out fishing blue lines are hogs and bees/yellow jackets/hornets.

IMO you can’t trust one and there is no telling what’ll set them off. I’ve had to climb a tree due to hogs and I’ve had to jump in creeks and go under water to get away from those flying little nuisances.

Want to Help Ease DNR's Budget Woes? Buy a TU license Plate!

Last edited by baldea; 10-30-17 at 09:31 PM.
baldea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-17, 08:42 PM   #5
JOHNKIES
Hall of Fame Member

Default The Good Pig

The only good pig is bacon. Or sausage. Or ham.

Kill them and eat them!

But yes they are dangerous and unpredictable with notoriously bad eyesight. If something does not look right, they attack. Rather like moose in that regard.
JOHNKIES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-17, 11:35 PM   #6
FlickNdip
Native

To bad you didn't have your pistol. Mmmmmmm bacon

Team Georgia Competitive Fly Fishing Team now has a Facebook Page and an Instagram Page . Check them out for great information, pictures and events!

New to fly fishing? Check out Monthlyfly.com For localized Match The Hatch Flies mailed to your door!
FlickNdip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-17, 07:55 AM   #7
huntfish
Hall of Fame Member

Hogs are not going to bother you unless you corner one with no escape possible. Your biggest 2 worries in the woods are bipedal and flying insects.

Last edited by huntfish; 11-01-17 at 12:49 PM.
huntfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-17, 04:29 PM   #8
jfgros01
Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by baldea View Post
Bears, snakes, Sasquatch I can deal with. The things that scare the beegeezees out of me out fishing blue lines are hogs and bees/yellow jackets/hornets.

IMO you canít trust one and there is no telling whatíll set them off.

I agree with ya there. I know what sets a snake and a bear off. Even if they are potentially more dangerous. If I can anticipate the reaction Iím better prepared to handle the situation.

Sounds like the general consensus is to start carrying while fishing in the mountains...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jfgros01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-17, 05:00 PM   #9
mudrun
Stocker

I've carried the last two times out, chiefly to address potential human encounters. Law enforcement friend of mine was telling me some frightening stories about meth cookers in some of the national forest lands ... mostly in NC.

I've seen hogs at a distance in the Cohutta and Dawson Forest, and in all instances, watched them race off into the brush ... not sure what I would do if one of them charged. Here's my question ... were a hog to be close enough that neither of us knew about the other, and the hog charged, what kind of firearms arrangement would be required to take it down? Slug?

They're heavily armored and fast and you might not get more than one shot. Hog hunters have any thoughts?

I carry bear spray and a snakebite kit ... I guess I average seeing one copperhead a year while fishing? If you ever want to see a lot of snakes, check out Sweetwater. That whole place slithers.
mudrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-17, 06:45 PM   #10
fishinbub
Hall of Fame Member

I've only encountered hogs once while blue lining, and that was on marginal water. While I have found a lot of hog sign, it's been my experience that they don't particularly like the hard/steep terrain of most little brookie streams. They tend to like bogs/mud, which generally means flat and silty creeks...aka marginal trout habitat. Frankly, I'm not sure you're going to practically carry a gun blue lining that would stop a charging hog. Firearms are for two legged critters, eyes and ears for the crawlers/flying critters, and you just play the odds with the four legged critters...

The right flies at the right time: Monthly Fly

Check out the Trout Blog
fishinbub is offline   Reply With Quote