NGTO Message Board
Welcome to NGTO!
Home ] [ Membership ] [ Donations ] [ Feedback ] [ Stream Reviews ] [ Stream Reports ] [ Maps ] [ Events ] [ Articles ] [ Rules and Regulations ] [ Archives ] Message Board ] FAQ ] [ Hall of Fame ] Sponsors & Supporters ] About ] [ Witticisms ] [ Distinguished Members ]
Welcome to NGTO!

Go Back   NGTO Message Board > Fishing Reports > N. Georgia Small Streams--Trout Reports
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-12-17, 10:46 AM   #1
aknezo
Native

Default Seeing Spots

Me and my brother decided to hit up a new blue line I've been wanted to take a look at for a while now. I finally had a chance to get away for the weekend, so this was the time. I heard there were mostly stream bred rainbows and browns in the stream which attracted me towards it. However, it seemed like the bows were nonexistent, or at least we didn't catch any.

Started by stringing up the 7 ft 3 wts and some really long leaders. Probably about a 10 foot long leader ending on 6x tippet since these fish were very easily spooked. You'd see them swim away when you were walking 20 feet away from the run.

It was kind of a slow day at first, not much action in the smaller pockets, but then we found this big pool and that turned the day around. Caught this one first and then they started slamming the natural frenchie that I had tied on.

The browns had their bright spawning colors with their red adipose fins looking pretty sweet. Photos don't really do this one justice, but it was the most colored up of them all.

After that hole was done, we started to walk upstream. Found a few pockets here and there that looked fishy and got a few smaller brown which was cool to see. I caught one that was about 2'' long that was a bugger going after that big nymph I had on. I had never actually caught a baby brown that size before so it was interesting to see.

In one of the medium sized runs, I had a strike that seemed stronger than the rest. The fish was the same size as the others but it was definitely putting a bigger bend in the 3wt thats the others. Once I got it in close, I noticed that it was a female full of eggs. She was pretty feisty, but it was pretty awesome to see that on a blue line, but I got her back fast so she wasn't too stressed. Hopefully those little dudes make it to be big ones out there in the next couple seasons.

We were about done for the day as we walked a pretty good way on the stream and up a few tributaries just to see what more was out there. Seemed like the smaller tributaries were better suited for dry fly weather, but there is always next year. Saw one more spot that I had to test out and ended up with a chunkier brown that really didn't want to come up. Swam under rocks and logs to try to get away but ultimately I got it up for a picture, then he swam right back into the pool he was in before, which was over a slightly submerged rock structure. Must have been a really good spot.

So the day was pretty brown filled. Guess you have to be lucky to catch a bow in this stream now. Like I said before, I was using a frenchie in a few different colors. If you look in my fly box that is about all I carry now, since they are easy to tie and it'll hurt less when you loose them, but the jig hooks help a lot. This one had an oversized bead since the water was up from all the rain. I knew using a dry wouldn't work so I tested out the New Zealand wool indicator and it worked great. Much better than the rest of the bobber style ones I've used so it'll probably be what I use on smaller streams from now on. It doesn't make a huge disturbance on the water and stayed dry for about have the day without some gink.

Overall it was a great trip. Saw lots of good water and lots of cooled up fish. They may have seen me first and were swimming away but they are in there. It's going in the books for next time, once I manage to patch the hole in my waders.
aknezo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-17, 10:52 AM   #2
fishteeth
Stocker

Great report and pictures. My favorite kind of fishing.
fishteeth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-17, 11:08 AM   #3
BrianD
Native

Thumbs up GREAT REPORT

Beautiful pics and a great report! Congrats to you and your brother on a memorable day on the water.

Gotta ask....are those Chacos in one of the photos? As in, you guys were wet wading? Wow...that "feat" is quite impressive in and of itself!
Old 11-12-17, 02:19 PM   #4
fishinbub
Hall of Fame Member

Great pics! Brookies get a lot of love, but wild browns are the pinnacle of blue lining. Looks like you've found a real gem.

The right flies at the right time: Monthly Fly
fishinbub is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-17, 02:23 PM   #5
aknezo
Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianD View Post
Beautiful pics and a great report! Congrats to you and your brother on a memorable day on the water.

Gotta ask....are those Chacos in one of the photos? As in, you guys were wet wading? Wow...that "feat" is quite impressive in and of itself!
Yeah I was actually wet wading with chacos. It wasn’t as cold as I thought it would be so it wasn’t that unbearable. The weather warmed up a bit towards noon.
Old 11-12-17, 02:25 PM   #6
aknezo
Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishinbub View Post
Great pics! Brookies get a lot of love, but wild browns are the pinnacle of blue lining. Looks like you've found a real gem.
My thoughts exactly! Brookies are always fun but there’s nothing like a wild brown to keep you coming back for more.
Old 11-12-17, 02:36 PM   #7
Aardvark
Native

Those look like Hooch Browns.
Aardvark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-17, 06:21 PM   #8
NPuffer
Native

Nice pictures, looks like a great day
NPuffer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-17, 10:11 PM   #9
Athos
Native

Those pics look an awful lot like fraudulent images. I'm going to need you to send me the exact coordinates of where you were fishing to verify their credibility.

(No clue what a fraudulent image is. Great report.)
Athos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-17, 11:24 PM   #10
fishinbub
Hall of Fame Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Athos View Post
Those pics look an awful lot like fraudulent images. I'm going to need you to send me the exact coordinates of where you were fishing to verify their credibility.

(No clue what a fraudulent image is. Great report.)
I bet we can find it if we look hard enough

The right flies at the right time: Monthly Fly
fishinbub is online now   Reply With Quote