NGTO Message Board
Welcome to NGTO!
Home ] [ Membership ] [ Donations ] [ Feedback ] [ Stream Reviews ] [ Stream Reports ] [ Maps ] [ Events ] [ Articles ] [ Rules and Regulations ] [ Archives ] Message Board ] FAQ ] [ Hall of Fame ] Sponsors & Supporters ] About ] [ Witticisms ] [ Distinguished Members ]
Welcome to NGTO!

Go Back   NGTO Message Board > NGTO Fishing Forums > General Information
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-16-17, 09:21 AM   #1
flyfishindawg
Native

Default Hooch suggestions

Hey folks! My son and I are going to be fishing on the Hooch the day after Thanksgiving. He spin fishes (for now) and I'll be fishing correctly....:-). I'm looking for an area where the wading is relatively easy and also where we can catch some fish. Thanks for the help.
Old 11-16-17, 10:05 AM   #2
Trout8myfly
Past Director, Hall of Fame Member

Default Hooch suggestions

Hmmmmmm....I think Whitewater might have a few newbie fish about then. And who may be getting hungry. 😊

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Trout8myfly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-17, 10:48 AM   #3
splatek16

I think @Trout8myfly has it right - bucket brigade Tuesday before Turkey day means it'll be chock full of stockers that are starting to figure out the pellet truck ain't coming back.
The upper tailwater has been slow for a lot of people that typically do very well on that stretch; Although the allure of some stream born upper TW hooch browns is strong, it might end in a skunk.
And Spin fishing is a valid way of fishing, right?
splatek16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-17, 11:00 AM   #4
Uncle Fun
Native

Since you will most likely hit Delayed Harvest waters and your son spins, single hooks and no treble.
Uncle Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-17, 12:14 PM   #5
Philhutch80
Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyfishindawg View Post
Hey folks! My son and I are going to be fishing on the Hooch the day after Thanksgiving. He spin fishes (for now) and I'll be fishing correctly....:-). I'm looking for an area where the wading is relatively easy and also where we can catch some fish. Thanks for the help.
Define fishing correctly for us please. Oh and here is a little reading material on catch and release. There is no definable difference between conventional and fly tackle and fish mortality: https://www.flycasters.org/community...l-does-it-work

Quote:
Originally Posted by splatek16 View Post
I think @Trout8myfly has it right - bucket brigade Tuesday before Turkey day means it'll be chock full of stockers that are starting to figure out the pellet truck ain't coming back.
The upper tailwater has been slow for a lot of people that typically do very well on that stretch; Although the allure of some stream born upper TW hooch browns is strong, it might end in a skunk.
And Spin fishing is a valid way of fishing, right?
Totally agree @Splatek16! Perfect time to check out the DH or the Upper Tailwater! DH will have dumber fish of all sizes but the Upper Tailwater will have the elusive spawning brown. I consider myself an optimizer with fishing. I spin fish and fly fish and BOTH have produced great results on the Hooch!!!
Philhutch80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-17, 01:25 PM   #6
flyfishindawg
Native

Wink Correct fishing

It was a joke...I'm fly-fishing (the correct way) and he's spin fishing. :-)..humor doesn't always translate well in writing. By the way, I'm not a fly-fishing snob; just trying to be funny.
Old 11-17-17, 03:10 PM   #7
Philhutch80
Native

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyfishindawg View Post
It was a joke...I'm fly-fishing (the correct way) and he's spin fishing. :-)..humor doesn't always translate well in writing. By the way, I'm not a fly-fishing snob; just trying to be funny.
In my eyes, fishing 'the correct way' just equates to catchin'. That is ALWAYS more fun than anything! Point taken, humor sometimes does not translate well to text. Hope you guys have a blast if you go DH!!! If you go Upper Tailwaters let us know how it goes!
Philhutch80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-17, 08:30 AM   #8
flyfishindawg
Native

Default Correct fishing

Thanks...believe me, no one is more a stickler for doing things correctly that me. I appreciate the good suggestions and I'm sure my son and I will have a blast. Safety is my primary concern, that's why I was asking about the wading. I used to float on the Hooch with some of the AFFC members, but have really never waded it, ironically. Thanks again for the suggestions and Happy Thanksgiving to all.
Old 11-18-17, 08:44 AM   #9
splatek16

I was actually teasing back. Sorry man and good luck
My boy spin fished with a little rapala, slays them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
splatek16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-17, 10:22 AM   #10
Steve Hudson
Hall of Fame Member

Default You'll have a great time!

This is a great time to think about fishing the Hooch. Be sure to note the volunteer stocking opportunity on Tuesday Nov. 21 too. You'll have a blast!

I also want to humbly point you toward a new book, CHATTAHOOCHEE TROUT, that I've just published. It covers spin as well as fly fishing for the river's trout, and it includes lots of info on wading opportunities as well. You might enjoy it.

Have a happy Thanksgiving and a great fishing outing!

Best,

Steve
Steve Hudson is offline   Reply With Quote