NGTO Message Board
Welcome to NGTO!
Home ] [ Membership ] [ Donations ] [ Feedback ] [ Stream Reviews ] [ Stream Reports ] [ Maps ] [ Events ] [ Articles ] [ Rules and Regulations ] [ Archives ] Message Board ] FAQ ] [ Hall of Fame ] Sponsors & Supporters ] About ] [ Witticisms ] [ Distinguished Members ]
Welcome to NGTO!

Go Back   NGTO Message Board > NGTO Fishing Forums > General Information
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-17-17, 10:13 AM   #1
Dsaporsky
Native

Default Fishing guides - do you tip them?

Howdy folks!

My lovely fiance got me a guided fly fishing trip around the blue ridge area for my birthday (I don't know any details, it's a surprise.) Since this is my first guided fly trip, anything I need to know before I go? Do you tip the guide for showing up or only for excellent service? Will they have all the flies/gear I'll need for the river being fished or do I need to bring my own stuff?

Any tips to make my trip go smoothly would be much appreciated!

Thanks!
Dave
Dsaporsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-17, 10:22 AM   #2
Trout8myfly
Past Director, Hall of Fame Member

Yes, you tip so long as the trip is taken. Even if you catch no fish or a hundred, the guide is working to show you a great time but they can't control the elements or if the bite is on - or off. So yes, please do.

As for the equipment and flies it's tough to say without knowing who your wife selected. Many guides do provide everything but it just depends.

Others will be along shortly to provide further commentary.
Trout8myfly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-17, 11:52 AM   #3
Philhutch80
Native

Always tip your guide. Always. How much will depend on how you feel he did getting on what you are after. Bad fishing karma not too. How much will depend on the cost of the trip as well what I mentioned above. Good luck.
Philhutch80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-17, 11:56 AM   #4
fishnpreacher
Board of Directors Chaplain, Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trout8myfly View Post
Yes, you tip so long as the trip is taken. Even if you catch no fish or a hundred, the guide is working to show you a great time but they can't control the elements or if the bite is on - or off. So yes, please do.

As for the equipment and flies it's tough to say without knowing who your wife selected. Many guides do provide everything but it just depends.

Others will be along shortly to provide further commentary.
George covered it pretty well. Definitely tip the guide. Many times your guide will be paying for flies and terminal tackle out of his pocket. The amount your fiancÚ paid covers his salary, possibly access to the water he takes you on. Your tip tells him you had a great trip, it recognizes how hard he worked to put you on fish. As George said, he can't control whether or not you catch fish.
If you are not pleased with the guide, your tip can also relay that thought. If you are a good tipper, the guide knows he did a good job. If you "no tip" the guide may not know whether you forgot or if you were not pleased. If you tip a small amount, he knows you didn't forget AND you were not satisfied with the trip.
Regarding the use of your own tackle, ask beforehand. Some do, some don't mind if you bring rod and reel. The guides I have been with supplied flies, tippet, etc.
Just as a side note, I like to do something different. I tipped a couple of guides with dollar coins, rolled. Hopefully they will remember you for your generosity and uniqueness.

Exodus 29:18
Then burn the entire ram on the altar. It is a burnt offering to the LORD, a pleasing aroma, a food offering presented to the LORD.

God loves BBQ!
fishnpreacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-17, 12:01 PM   #5
Buck Henry
Former NGTO President, Sith Lord, FKA Bhuk Henri

Most guides I know will say "tips are never expected but they are always appreciated". You tip a brain dead waitress to bring you food, why would you not tip a guide that busted his a$$ all day helping you catch fish.

Buck Henry
Simple Goat Herder
Former NGTO President
Hall of Fame Member
Buck Henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-17, 12:08 PM   #6
Philhutch80
Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck Henry View Post
Most guides I know will say "tips are never expected but they are always appreciated". You tip a brain dead waitress to bring you food, why would you not tip a guide that busted his a$$ all day helping you catch fish.
I wish I could thumbs up this post Buck.
Philhutch80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-17, 12:31 PM   #7
troutrookie
Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck Henry View Post
You tip a brain dead waitress to bring you food, why would you not tip a guide that busted his a$$ all day helping you catch fish.
Wow...I hope no one on here has a spouse or family member who is a waitress. No offense, but you will have a very hard time convincing me that a guide on a given day, as hard as they do work, will work harder than many waitresses. My daughter use to be one years ago and she worked to exhaustion many days...just saying.
BTW, just went on a guided trip & I think I tipped my guide pretty generously, we all should. You will know if they've earned it, and if so, be generous to them. That stuff seems to always come back to you.
Just a thought...or two,
Darryl
troutrookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-17, 06:55 PM   #8
narcodog
Native

With a guided trip you should tip at least $100.00.
narcodog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-17, 08:39 PM   #9
troutbum69
Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by narcodog View Post
With a guided trip you should tip at least $100.00.

^? That's an interesting thought

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"Stop Whining"
troutbum69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-17, 09:44 PM   #10
Trouter23
Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutrookie View Post
Wow...I hope no one on here has a spouse or family member who is a waitress. No offense, but you will have a very hard time convincing me that a guide on a given day, as hard as they do work, will work harder than many waitresses. My daughter use to be one years ago and she worked to exhaustion many days...just saying.
Was thinking the exact same thing.