NGTO Message Board
Welcome to NGTO!
Home ] [ Membership ] [ Donations ] [ Feedback ] [ Stream Reviews ] [ Stream Reports ] [ Maps ] [ Events ] [ Articles ] [ Rules and Regulations ] [ Archives ] Message Board ] FAQ ] [ Hall of Fame ] Sponsors & Supporters ] About ] [ Witticisms ] [ Distinguished Members ]
Welcome to NGTO!

Go Back   NGTO Message Board > NGTO Fishing Forums > General Information
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-17-17, 10:31 PM   #11
Sighter
NGTO Instagram Controller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trouter23 View Post
Was thinking the exact same thing.
+1, Worked as a waiter my whole time during high school and 2 years of college. As did my gf throughout college. To be fair, I don't think Buck directed this towards those who work hard and are pursuing an education, yet need the cash. He probably intended to direct the comment towards those select individuals in every occupation that do the bare minimum and "go through the motions" yet are usually compensated. Everyone's had a bad waiter before, (Late night Waffle House is usually my culprit of this haha)
Sighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-17, 10:41 PM   #12
ryc72
Stocker

Not to hijack the thread but Iím curious about tipping in a certain situation. You are fishing private water and the rod fee for the water is $200. The guide fee is $150. So the total is $350 but the cost of labor is $150 and the cost of access is $200. Having a guide is optional. Do you tip off of the $350 or the $150? Or something in between? Whatís the appropriate amount? $30? 50? 70?
ryc72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-17, 11:24 PM   #13
The Ole Man
Past Director, Past CFO,

Another question comes to mind as to tipping a Guide working for a Fly Shop/Outfitter vs tipping a one man solo Independent Guide. The Guide working for the Outfitter/Shop has to share the money with the owner and it may be a larger chunk if the trip is on private water with an access fee. The Independent Guide gets the entire trip fee on public water. Obviously a tip to the Shop/Outfitter Guide would help make up what he had to share with the owner. On the other hand would you tip the Independent Guide on public water that is getting the entire fee thus just adding on to the cost of the trip ? Or would you tip the Independent only if he took you to private water and he had to pay an access fee?
The Ole Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-17, 12:19 AM   #14
FlickNdip
Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Ole Man View Post
Another question comes to mind as to tipping a Guide working for a Fly Shop/Outfitter vs tipping a one man solo Independent Guide. The Guide working for the Outfitter/Shop has to share the money with the owner and it may be a larger chunk if the trip is on private water with an access fee. The Independent Guide gets the entire trip fee on public water. Obviously a tip to the Shop/Outfitter Guide would help make up what he had to share with the owner. On the other hand would you tip the Independent Guide on public water that is getting the entire fee thus just adding on to the cost of the trip ? Or would you tip the Independent only if he took you to private water and he had to pay an access fee?

Buck put it the best I have seen. " tips are never expected, but greatly appreciated". I can tell you there is a lot more that goes into a trip then you expect. When I've taken people out there is a good amount of prep time that goes into any trip, private or public waters. I actually just spent 2 hours tying for a buddy who is taking out some people tomorrow. He would normally tie himself, but circumstances did not allow for it. Some guides will also fish the water the day prior to survey the bite (hone in on the right flies, but not fish hard). I also know some that will run off 4 hours of sleep a night during prime time when they are booked up solid. They are cleaning gear, tying flies, travel time, getting the right supplies, scheduling trips, following up on upcoming trips. The list goes on. Then there is the unseen costs. Insurance, rod fees, supplies, ect.

Guiding is not easy. That is why you will typically only find the truley passionate guys that are guiding and fewer older guides that have stuck with it. Whenever I have had the luxury to go out with a guide its best to absorb as much knowledge as you can and hope half of it sticks. Everyone guides differently as everyone fishes a little differently. Learn what you can do o better yourself and have fun!

Team Georgia Competitive Fly Fishing Team now has a Facebook Page and an Instagram Page . Check them out for great information, pictures and events!

New to fly fishing? Check out Monthlyfly.com For localized Match The Hatch Flies mailed to your door!
FlickNdip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-17, 08:12 AM   #15
browniez
NGTO Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck Henry View Post
Most guides I know will say "tips are never expected but they are always appreciated". You tip a brain dead waitress to bring you food, why would you not tip a guide that busted his a$$ all day helping you catch fish.
I'm going to awake from my board slumber to say this "brainless waitress", brought you food while working 40+ hours a week on top 15 credit hours a semester. JUST TO PAY FOR RENT, RAMEN, AND FISHING TACKLE.

I could tell you too, the rest of my crew at that restaurant. One is now a licensed civil engineer, I am now a LEED certified green associate, two nurses, one on the way to law school, and yes... a couple of class A braindead idiots.

Alot of times its actually the braindead clientele that treat you like crap late on Sunday night, RIGHT before you have a Calculus III final on Monday at 8am that are the real jackwagons. Simple because they think you are the scum of the earth for being a waiter.

How's the view from 1%er mountain?
Old 11-18-17, 08:37 AM   #16
Buck Henry
Former NGTO President, Sith Lord, FKA Bhuk Henri

Man, I forget how sensitive this new generation is! To all you waiters and waitresses out there, I apologize. I was just making a point, not meaning to insult those who have selected the food service industry as their career path. Most wait staff bust their a$$ and deserve to be tipped accordingly. You can come out of your safe space, all is well.

Buck Henry
Simple Goat Herder
Former NGTO President
Hall of Fame Member

Last edited by Buck Henry; 11-18-17 at 08:42 AM.
Buck Henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-17, 10:10 AM   #17
Sighter
NGTO Instagram Controller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck Henry View Post
Man, I forget how sensitive this new generation is! To all you waiters and waitresses out there, I apologize. I was just making a point, not meaning to insult those who have selected the food service industry as their career path. Most wait staff bust their a$$ and deserve to be tipped accordingly. You can come out of your safe space, all is well.

Just a generation that likes to speak their mind, whether it's for the best or not. Don't take it too personally yourself Buck 😉

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-17, 11:53 AM   #18
baldea
BOD, Hall of Fame

I try to stay out of these stupid online fights but I’m going to inject my thoughts.

I’ve waited tables and bartended for years when I was in college. I’ve also guided, worked as a mate on a sport fishing boat and rowed countless numbers of miles on rivers during the summers. Plus my oldest child and 3/4ths of my clients are in this millennial group. So I feel I can speak on this subject matter.

Most of the kids I come across in this group love to speak there mind, which is perfectly ok and all is well as long as you agree with their viewpoint. Lord forbid if you have a different perception or view because the personal verbal attacks, the insults, name calling run amuck. Double standards big time.

Regardless if you have 100x more experience on the subject matter. The internet has made everyone an expert. What happened to the saying don’t believe 100% what you read? And take it with a grain of salt?

Let’s face it neither profession will make you wealthy beyond your dreams. And both deserve more than they are paid. Guides on their days off bust their arses preparing for hours and days tying flies, scouting miles of areas, working on streams or on their boats and practice a skill or technique just to teach it to someone else so they are prepared. Just so that when they have that paying client, they can put the client in the right spot, at the right time, using the right technique and fly/bait just to make it all happen. Then you have to coach the client along the way during the battle.

When I waited tables and bartended, on my days off I never had to put in the hours of prep like a guide outside of making different drinks for myself or friends and I never did anything that goes along with waiting tables except preparing my own meals. But while on the job i worked hard, some days much harder than others.

The similarities from my experiences between guides and wait staffs is that they both attend to their lients wants and needs. They both also deal with 100’s of personality types while on the job. Some are good, some are bad clients. Unfortunately the jerks typically don’t tip well regardless of how well you do your job in either profession.

Regardless, tips are always appreciated. If someone is working hard reward them with a tip. We all are from different social and economic backgrounds. Tip what you can afford and what you feel is justified.

Want to Help Ease DNR's Budget Woes? Buy a TU license Plate!

Last edited by baldea; 11-18-17 at 11:59 AM.
baldea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-17, 01:07 PM   #19
fishnpreacher
Board of Directors Chaplain, Hall of Fame

Well said Brent

Exodus 29:18
Then burn the entire ram on the altar. It is a burnt offering to the LORD, a pleasing aroma, a food offering presented to the LORD.

God loves BBQ!
fishnpreacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-17, 06:03 PM   #20
Big T
BOD HOF SSQTCH

One million dollars is the correct amount.

Use Promo Code NGTO for 5% off
Big T is offline   Reply With Quote