NGTO Message Board
Welcome to NGTO!
Home ] [ Membership ] [ Donations ] [ Feedback ] [ Stream Reviews ] [ Stream Reports ] [ Maps ] [ Events ] [ Articles ] [ Rules and Regulations ] [ Archives ] Message Board ] FAQ ] [ Hall of Fame ] Sponsors & Supporters ] About ] [ Witticisms ] [ Distinguished Members ]
Welcome to NGTO!

Go Back   NGTO Message Board > Other NGTO Forums > Food & Cooking
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-17-17, 08:26 PM   #1
GoutUnlimited
Red Menace

Default Chicken Tikka Masala

Was driving home, and spotted a new Indo-Pak store hadn't been to. Always, stop by when I see one to get some new spices and rices and everything nices. I had some garam masala mix my friend gave me so I thought lets make some Chicken Tikka Masala. Didn't really know what went into it but the owner helped me get all the fixins. $20 later I was ready.

Ingredients:
-2 lb chicken (breast I used, because thats what I had in the fridge)
-4 minced garlic cloves, 4 tspn minced ginger
-6 cardamon pod (they kinda expensive but worth it) very fragrant
-4 tspn ground tumeric ( i gotta figure out how to grind my own)
-2 tspn garam masala mix (this is the magic)
-2 tspn ground corriander (also kinda expensive but if you buy the seeds thy are cheaper and you can grind them in coffee grinder).
-1 tspn cumin, Hot chiles ( I used crushed pepper flakes), salt to taste
-1.5 cups whole milk yogurt not greek, he was adament about that(I got the desi yogurt he had a 5lb tub for
$6)
-1 onion sliced, cilantro
-2 cups milk ( whole cream probably better), ghee butter (I just used regular butter)
-1 28 can peeled tomatato, 1 tbsn tomato paste

First mixed the yogurt with the the ginger, tumeric, coriander, cumin, garlic and ginger, and garam masala. Butterfly and trimmed the breasts and
let marinade in fridge for about 8 hours (overnight probably better) in half the mixture. The other half will be used later.

Pot going, onion, tomato paste crush the cardom pods, and chile flakes in butter and let it darken maybe 5 minutes. Then put the rest of of the yogurt and spice mixture in for another 5 minutes or so and let it brown some more (building flavor here). Put in can of tomatos and crush em up, rolling boil then simmer for about 8 minutes and scrap the bottom to get the brown bits. Add the milk (heavy cream or whatever) and cilantro and let it simmer for about 30 minutes. Keep stirring. House smelled like Ravi Shankar's mustache.

Meanwhile, I put the marinated chicken on a grill grate over a pan in the oven, (the remaining marinade I scooped out into the sauce) and put in on broil till it started to get blackened dark spots, about 10-15 minutes. Keep stirring the sauce!

I cut up the chicken along the grill marks and threw it in the sauce for another 10 minutes and it was done. Finished product came out better than expected. Usually when I try to do this on my own, it turns out bad. The guy really helped me out and it was pretty authentic tasting. Serve over basmati rice. Eat with hand, usually they use the naan bread as like a spoon and to sop up the sauce. I put on some more LBs after I quit smoking so I just ate it as is without the rice and bread.

Our enemies are those in league with imperialism- the warlords, the bureaucrats, the comprador class and the reactionary section of the intelligentsia attached to them. The leading force in our revolution is the industrial proletariat. Our closest friends are the entire semi-proletariat and petty bourgeoisie. As for the vacillating middle bourgeoisie, the left wing may become our enemies, and their right wing may become our friend. Our enemies are all around us. We must always be on our guard.
GoutUnlimited is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-17, 12:37 AM   #2
Trouter23
Native

Looks awesome, man. Except, I could probably eat three times that amount!

I hear you on the garam masala. That stuff's great in a lot of things. I'm actually about to try to develop a recipe for garam masala ice cream. I know it might sound crazy, but one morning I added some to my scrambled eggs and I thought that it went so well with the eggs that I thought it might go well in a custard too. So, ice cream, here we come.

What color of cardamom pods did you use - green? Oh yeah, that's another ice cream I want to make some day - cardamom.
Old 11-18-17, 07:55 AM   #3
GoutUnlimited
Red Menace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trouter23 View Post
Looks awesome, man. Except, I could probably eat three times that amount!

I hear you on the garam masala. That stuff's great in a lot of things. I'm actually about to try to develop a recipe for garam masala ice cream. I know it might sound crazy, but one morning I added some to my scrambled eggs and I thought that it went so well with the eggs that I thought it might go well in a custard too. So, ice cream, here we come.

What color of cardamom pods did you use - green? Oh yeah, that's another ice cream I want to make some day - cardamom.
Green Cardomon. Ramdev brand. The craziest ice cream I've had was habanero. The one thing I still get nostalgic about is Sovie-Era ice cream. They used eggs, the heaviest of the cream, whipped butter, and real milk usually non-pastuerized according to GOST standards in a waffle cone usually. Some of the brands are still around using the old school ingredients and usually sell higher than you Hagen Daz. The used to put subliminal commie stuff on the wrappers for the children. I've found some here before but it's hard to come by. I remember going "Mama, Mama! Ice Cream." To which she would reply, because I ate so much, "They keep that stuff cold in the Morgue!"
Our enemies are those in league with imperialism- the warlords, the bureaucrats, the comprador class and the reactionary section of the intelligentsia attached to them. The leading force in our revolution is the industrial proletariat. Our closest friends are the entire semi-proletariat and petty bourgeoisie. As for the vacillating middle bourgeoisie, the left wing may become our enemies, and their right wing may become our friend. Our enemies are all around us. We must always be on our guard.
GoutUnlimited is offline   Reply With Quote