NGTO Message Board
Welcome to NGTO!
Home ] [ Membership ] [ Donations ] [ Feedback ] [ Stream Reviews ] [ Stream Reports ] [ Maps ] [ Events ] [ Articles ] [ Rules and Regulations ] [ Archives ] Message Board ] FAQ ] [ Hall of Fame ] Sponsors & Supporters ] About ] [ Witticisms ] [ Distinguished Members ]
Welcome to NGTO!

Go Back   NGTO Message Board > Other NGTO Forums > Food & Cooking
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-19-17, 05:11 PM   #1
Trouter23
Native

Default Pulled pork with pork butt bacon

Smoked a couple of pork butts last week.

Sorry that the pic doesn't have much of a shot of the pulled pork.

Before I smoked it, as always, I trimmed off the fat cap. This time, I decided to cure the fat cap in a mixture of Grade B maple syrup and kosher salt for about 24 hours, then cook it to see how it would turn out, since the trimmings will inevitably have a little meat in them. Wow, was it good. Try it!

Rinsed, patted dry, then sliced 1/4-inch thick.

Baked at 400F for 25 minutes.

Finished off the meal with some pumpkin bread. This is one of my new favorite desserts and probably my favorite pumpkin application.

Old 11-20-17, 12:32 PM   #2
GoutUnlimited
Red Menace

Real bacon.
Our enemies are those in league with imperialism- the warlords, the bureaucrats, the comprador class and the reactionary section of the intelligentsia attached to them. The leading force in our revolution is the industrial proletariat. Our closest friends are the entire semi-proletariat and petty bourgeoisie. As for the vacillating middle bourgeoisie, the left wing may become our enemies, and their right wing may become our friend. Our enemies are all around us. We must always be on our guard.
GoutUnlimited is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-17, 08:33 PM   #3
Brotherbear
Native

My mother loves the Trader Joe's pumpkin bread mix available only this time of year
Might give that bacon a try sooner than later.
Old 11-21-17, 08:51 AM   #4
REDTOP
Hall Of Fame Member, Moderator

Wow!!!!!!!!!!! Pure awesomeness!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 11-21-17, 04:11 PM   #5
Stinkbait
Native

Would you mind sharing your pumpkin bread recipe? I have some pumpkin (grilled on the egg - gives it a delicious smoky flavor) left over after making a pumpkin pie for Tgiving.
Stinkbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-17, 10:51 PM   #6
Trouter23
Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinkbait View Post
Would you mind sharing your pumpkin bread recipe?
How much money you got?

Kidding. Try this one. It's an excellent recipe and close to what I did. I worked on it and changed some things to create something that I've been after for almost ten years (and finally nailed it), but this is a great recipe.

Adjust the spices to your liking. I don't have pumpkin spice. Instead, I used a combination of spices to achieve that particular flavor profile I've been after. But, if you have pumpkin spice (I'm not sure I've ever had it before, so I can't speak to how good or bad it is), by all means, use it. Or, 86 the cinnamon and pumpkin spice and add in your own spices and amounts. This a good place to really bring some great flavors to this bread.

Oh, by the way, I call mine a pumpkin bread, but in reality, it's a cake. It just makes some feel better about eating more than one piece. Lemme know how it turns out!

Pumpkin Cake

Yield: serves 12
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 4 hours (including cooling)

Ingredients:

2 cups (250g) all-purpose flour (spoon & leveled)
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 and 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
1 cup (240ml) canola or vegetable oil
4 large eggs
1 cup (200g) packed light or dark brown sugar
1/2 cup (100g) granulated sugar
1 (15 ounce) can pumpkin puree
1 and 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract

Directions:

Preheat the oven to 350F (177C) and grease a 9x13 inch baking pan. I always use this glass pan.

Whisk the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and pumpkin pie spice together in a large bowl. Set aside. Whisk the oil, eggs, brown sugar, granulated sugar, pumpkin, and vanilla extract together until combined. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and use a mixer or whisk until completely combined. Batter will be thick.

Spread batter into the prepared pan. Bake for 30-36 minutes. Baking times vary, so keep an eye on yours. The cake is done when a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. If you find the top or edges of the cake is/are browning too quickly in the oven, loosely cover it with aluminum foil.

Remove the cake from the oven and set the entire pan on a wire rack. Allow to cool completely.

Last edited by Trouter23; 11-21-17 at 10:56 PM.
Trouter23 is offline   Reply With Quote