NGTO Message Board
Welcome to NGTO!
Home ] [ Membership ] [ Donations ] [ Feedback ] [ Stream Reviews ] [ Stream Reports ] [ Maps ] [ Events ] [ Articles ] [ Rules and Regulations ] [ Archives ] Message Board ] FAQ ] [ Hall of Fame ] Sponsors & Supporters ] About ] [ Witticisms ] [ Distinguished Members ]
Welcome to NGTO!

Go Back   NGTO Message Board > Fly Tying Bench > Fly Patterns
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-14-14, 07:22 PM   #1
RScott
Ex-President, Victim of the Cajun Rebellion

Default RScott's Pattern #6 - Hares Ear Hot Spot

I hope most folks are getting something out of this series - it's all about tying simple flies that catch fish. They don't have to be Wetfly perfect, I gave up on that a long time ago, just the right size in the right color - at the right depth.

I will be out of town for a few days, so I am going to try and post 2 pattern's tonight - it's a good weekend to take up tying as everything in north Georgia is probably going to be high and muddy...

A hares ear nymph is one of the oldest patterns around for good reason - it catches fish. The standard recipe calls for two shades of hares ear dubbing and a shell back, very effective pattern but not needed if you just want to catch fish.

The "hot spot" term may be new to you, but it is simply a collar of bright thread next to the bead - in this case pink. I have had great success with yellow, orange, bright green and red. 2fly actually did this before me (barely) so I will honestly acknowledge his minor contribution. This pattern in pink has been a solid producer on the small stupid fish at Island Ford for two years..

Hook: Fulling Mill jig #16 shown (12 & 14 effective)
Bead: Slotted Tungsten, silver 2.5mm (copper is easily as good)
Thread: Tan 8/0 Uni
Ribbing: Gold 28g craft wire (Hobby Lobby)
Tail: Barred Wood duck flank (2fly omits tails, any stiff hackle is good)
Body: Hare's Ear dubbing
Thorax / collar: Pink 8/0 Uni

Material...

HE 1 by Robert Brown, on Flickr

Mount the bead on the hook and place in vice, lock in the bead with tight wraps of thread and wire ribbing underneath...

HE 2 by Robert Brown, on Flickr

This is sounding repetitive - make a nice tapered base of thread (touch of ZAG to lock in), but a good base makes all the difference in how your fly looks and performs.

HE 3 by Robert Brown, on Flickr

Select your tail material, I use the old school wood duck flank - because my son is a really good wingshot and have a bunch. Fibers of booger hackle and obviously CDL work just as well as long as they have a barred pattern to them. Or you can go plain butt as 2fly does and still catch fish.

HE 4 by Robert Brown, on Flickr

Tail fibers tied in, the upwards angle is no concern at this stage as either the dubbing process or wire will flatten them out...unless you are a rebel named 2fly and you don't care...

HE 5 by Robert Brown, on Flickr

Dubbed body - I tried to think of a way to show you my almost patented "spit & twist" method, but I only have two hands. You can see that this dubbing is "spiky" - I like spiky. Do not trim the spikes (guard hairs), once it gets wet the water will take care of that.....

HE 6 by Robert Brown, on Flickr

Gold ribbing wire wrapped and tied off. At this point I almost always put a half hitch or two and a drop of ZAG to lock it in....

HE 8 by Robert Brown, on Flickr

Pink thread to start the collar......

HE 9 by Robert Brown, on Flickr

Pink thread collar finished, whipped, and glued (small drop). My hot spot collars vary, sometimes a lot, the fish don't care so just get it close to this and it will work.

HE 10 by Robert Brown, on Flickr

Tie up 4 each in sizes #12, #14, & #16, maybe some #18's and you will be set - that is until they want a yellow or green hot spot, then you have to start all over.....

Support the Mission Statement - buy the TU License Plate!

Last edited by RScott; 11-23-17 at 10:05 AM.
RScott is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-14, 08:19 PM   #2
2fly
Ex-BOD, Hall Of Fame Member, Ex-Angler

This pattern has been a killer at IF for a while now. I've had luck recently with a green collar and silver bead. This pattern has worked all over the country so it should be considered a staple pattern. Thanks to Rscott for finally giving me credit for this pattern and oh, tails are overrated!
2fly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-14, 09:49 PM   #3
Wet Fly
Hall of Fame Member

Ah, Scott, nothing wrong with tying pretty. That said, my boxes are quickly filling up with your patterns, tied exactly as prescribed. Well, pretty close... Also, my mailman is now suffering from a herniated disc from delivering all the tungsten beads to my address. I'll tell him it's your fault.

Thanks for sharing another simple but deadly pattern.

There's nought as queer as folk.

"From the end of May to the end of August, a drizzling or thoroughly wet day is the best; next to which is a showery one, and then a bright day with a breeze of wind; a dark day without wind is the worst of all." W.C. Stewart
Wet Fly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-14, 12:20 AM   #4
Gatorbyte
Ex El Presidente Supremo, Happy Cowboy Sunshine Boy (currently in exile on Elba)

Send a message via AIM to Gatorbyte

Nicely done. One thing I like to do is use red thread for the underbody. On a hares ear it shows through when wet. Look at a surveyor and you'll see what I mean.

ad illudendum , et in sibilum

"Laughter is my drug of choice"
- B. Nelson, HSD, AA, BS, MS, LPC, LMHC, NCC, FFF CCI, ACI, PADI AD, OPP, OCD, ADHD, ODD, PIB, MIB, PBR, PB & J, General Manager of the World, Fluent in Sarcasm

TBoy to GB: "An education doesn't fix stupid, you're living proof of that "

"You're an Idiot" - RScott

I Beat Tommy King in a Spelling Bee.

"I canít be nobody but the Gatorbyte. Yes, I like talking about myself in the third person. Something tells me deep down inside you like it too. I'm YUGE!" - Bret "Gatorbyte" Nelson
Gatorbyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-14, 08:49 AM   #5
FishWillie
Native

I've had pretty good success with pink tail fibers...and underbodies are very important...I'm beginning to hold a liking to hot yellow, hot pink, and a hot green. Of course they're covered with irredescent tinsel and shan.
Yes RScott....very much appreciated ( and copied ) 2Fly thanks also....
MO DOES NOT TIE NYMPHS !!! will
FishWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-14, 09:02 AM   #6
RScott

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wet Fly View Post
Ah, Scott, nothing wrong with tying pretty..
Nothing wrong at all - given one has the time, talent, artistic eye, steady hands, and named Mo....I have none of the above.

Old 10-17-14, 08:15 AM   #7
BESon
Native

I've also been having a lot of luck with the variant 2Fly mentioned. I'll have to tie up a few with thread hot spots as well. I hope that the flies you're posting inspire some folks to take up tying. I know I've really enjoyed it and it wasn't nearly as hard to tie up some basic flies as I thought.
Old 10-17-14, 11:11 AM   #8
kbrunson
Native

Sub out the natural hare's ear for rainbow and the gold wire for silver and you got an easy surveyor. There are limitless color options with this pattern. Thx for another great tutorial, Scott.
kbrunson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-15, 08:26 AM   #9
Chuck Morris
Director, Hall of Fame Member

My way of tying the Hare's Ear Hot Spot and as RScott has stated there are any number of hot spot colors that can be incorporated. At times these unweighted or lightly weighted nymphs are very effective in turbulent water, due to the fact that they will tumble in the current much more so than a weighted nymph. This fly is tied in what is known as the "in the round" style.

Last edited by Chuck Morris; 01-22-15 at 08:03 PM.
Chuck Morris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-15, 09:04 AM   #10
RScott

Awesome - pay attention folks, new and old tyers alike, this is a great technique that can be modified a jillion ways using the same technique.

For the record, I have learned at least one thing new / different watching these videos.