NGTO Message Board
Welcome to NGTO!
Home ] [ Membership ] [ Donations ] [ Feedback ] [ Stream Reviews ] [ Stream Reports ] [ Maps ] [ Events ] [ Articles ] [ Rules and Regulations ] [ Archives ] Message Board ] FAQ ] [ Hall of Fame ] Sponsors & Supporters ] About ] [ Witticisms ] [ Distinguished Members ]
Welcome to NGTO!

Go Back   NGTO Message Board > Fishing Reports > Chattahoochee River
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-27-17, 08:15 PM   #1
ChaChung
Native

Default Settles for the first time on Sat.

I couldn't fish my home water, JB, due to the water release schedule so I decided to head up stream and check out Settles for the first time.

I was informed on this forum that the wading is tricky here so I explored the area very carefully and was lucky enough not to fall in.

In the first hour or so I didn't have any action on the double nymph rig so out of desparation I switched to a dry dropper rig. I threw it around the shallow areas between the rocks and got my first fish of the day. It was no monster but I was happy to get the skunk off. It hit a BH PT dropped about 18 inches under a huge stimi.

After about 10 minutes I hooked another and more substantial fish but lost it in some fast water.

I went up stream and ran into some deeper water so I decided to indicator nymph again. I ran into a guy who was throwing a streamer from a spin reel and while I had my head turned talking to him, the indicator disappeared and I was quite late in my hookset. But this brown was nice enough not to spit my hook and made me look good in front of a fellow angler.

Again, no monster but a little better than the first one. This one hit my walts worm.

I spent another hour or so in vain to hook another fish on my first trip to Settles but all in all i was content to have scouted out a new stretch of river with a bit of success.

The fishing really has slowed down, at least for me and some fellow posters here, compared to the summer in the number of fish caught but it's still enjoyable to be out there for few hours.

Some days I'm the hook and some days I'm the fish.

Instagram @charles_the_toothsmith
ChaChung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-17, 09:55 PM   #2
erikclymore
Native

I guess I missed you. I was out there from 10-1. I ended up with three and one missed strike. I didn’t see anyone doing any better. All mine came off a soft hackle hares ear. I quickly dedicated the day to just messing around with a new dry dropper rig on my euro leader.
I did hook this brown that was clearly under the influence of marijuana. Hopefully he gets his act together soon. He’s never gonna turn into one of those hogs just sittin around doing refers all day.
erikclymore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-17, 06:12 AM   #3
ChaChung
Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by erikclymore View Post
I guess I missed you. I was out there from 10-1. I ended up with three and one missed strike. I didnít see anyone doing any better. All mine came off a soft hackle hares ear. I quickly dedicated the day to just messing around with a new dry dropper rig on my euro leader.
I did hook this brown that was clearly under the influence of marijuana. Hopefully he gets his act together soon. Heís never gonna turn into one of those hogs just sittin around doing refers all day.
Hey Erik,

I was there from about 1 ish til about 4 ish.. . Talking about weed. I walked up the bank when j was done fishing and scared the hell out of a couple of teenagers smoking pot. Haha

How was dry dropping on a euro rig? I assume it's difficult throw any distance?

Old 11-28-17, 07:06 AM   #4
Big T
BOD HOF SSQTCH

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaChung View Post
Hey Erik,

I was there from about 1 ish til about 4 ish.. . Talking about weed. I walked up the bank when j was done fishing and scared the hell out of a couple of teenagers smoking pot. Haha

How was dry dropping on a euro rig? I assume it's difficult throw any distance?
A lot of us dry drop on the euro rig (sorry to butt in Erik). It has a lot of advantages, one of which is not being able to cast far. Most people fish way to far away and have to deal with too many conflicting currents and slack.

You can manage your drift much better with less or no line on the water, the long leader is less visible and lighter on the landing than traditional set ups.

You can still cast up to around 30 feet if you work on it which is more than enough on most waters we fish. It just means you have to wade around a little more.

Use Promo Code NGTO for 5% off
Big T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-17, 07:10 AM   #5
splatek16

Guys, I can attest, settles has been rough lately. Particularly when another angler shows up, stomps right thru pretty much whee your fishing and plants his butt right to the spot you were fishing to-do not more than 10 yards upstream of you. Man that ticked me off, but then when I saw him sitting down and calling a fly rod to the same hole again and again without a single bite, I realized he must've been relatively new. I generally ask an angler that's already in the stream where he's headed....
Sounds like the reports on the river are slow and I imagine settles will be the slowest. Small stretch, high pressure, slack(ish) water...

Btw, casting a euro dry drop thirty to forty feet is pretty straightforward if things are weighted correctly and the leader is tapered appropriately

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
splatek16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-17, 07:51 AM   #6
ChaChung
Native

BigT:

Cool. I didn't know and didn't even try doing a dry-dropper rig on the euro rod. I have a euro line and euro leader. Does that mean I should probably switch to a regular (WF or DT) line and tapered leader to be able to do both euro nymphing and dry-dropping?

Splatek:

I see what you mean. The wade-able water does seem to be quite limited in the area and did get crowded even with just a few anglers in the same shoals.

Old 11-28-17, 09:51 AM   #7
RScott
Ex-President, Victim of the Cajun Rebellion

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaChung View Post
BigT:

Cool. I didn't know and didn't even try doing a dry-dropper rig on the euro rod. I have a euro line and euro leader. Does that mean I should probably switch to a regular (WF or DT) line and tapered leader to be able to do both euro nymphing and dry-dropping?
Nope - I dry drop on my RIO EN line with a sighter all the time, 30-40 feet no problem.

Support the Mission Statement - buy the TU License Plate!

RScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-17, 09:53 AM   #8
ChaChung
Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by RScott View Post
Nope - I dry drop on my RIO EN line with a sighter all the time, 30-40 feet no problem.
Awesome. I guess the EN rig was more versatile than I realized. Really good to know I have other options when I'm out with the rig.

Old 11-28-17, 12:20 PM   #9
erikclymore
Native

Im far from 30’ casts. Right now I typically just make drifts that are slightly longer than I would tight lining.
Here’s the setup I’ve been messing with lately. I like how I can easily remove the dry and get right back to nymphing without redoing anything. I’ve yet to catch anything on the dry to speak to how well the backing barrel holds up to a fish on the dry(partly because I’m using a gigantic fly to suspend my nymphs), but I reckon we’ll cross that bridge when we get there.
https://troutbitten.com/2017/06/21/slidable-dry-dro https://imageshack.com/i/pnrU0Q9Sj pper-system/

It’s a great technique to have in your arsenal when the wind picks up all of the sudden and you find tight lining a bit challenging.
erikclymore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-17, 01:03 PM   #10
Uncle Fun
Native

Erik thanks for passing along. Good article.
Uncle Fun is offline   Reply With Quote