NGTO Message Board
Welcome to NGTO!
Home ] [ Membership ] [ Donations ] [ Feedback ] [ Stream Reviews ] [ Stream Reports ] [ Maps ] [ Events ] [ Articles ] [ Rules and Regulations ] [ Archives ] Message Board ] FAQ ] [ Hall of Fame ] Sponsors & Supporters ] About ] [ Witticisms ] [ Distinguished Members ]
Welcome to NGTO!

Go Back   NGTO Message Board > Fishing Reports > Chattahoochee River
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-01-17, 05:28 PM   #1
Big T
BOD HOF SSQTCH

Default Quarter inch shy

I carry zingers in my store that have a measuring tape instead of just a string. I decided this morning to throw one on my pack thinking I could use it some when guiding at Fern Valley to measure fish for customers. I wish I had left it at home.

I fished the tail end of Bowman's this morning and for the second day fishing was slow using bugs. I ran into Dave375 and he only stuck a few in one run. I firmly believe the fish struggle to see food in the pea soup when the sun isn't out. While talking to Dave I threw on a white bugger and promptly stuck a rare find on that part of the river - a stocked brown trout. Dave had to leave so I made my way to the backside of the island catching a brown here and there but nothing special and a lot of short strikes.

As I worked up the lower end tossing to timber I hooked a fish that I thought might be a sucker. It wasn't doing much just dogging the bottom. Then the big run came and once it jumped I knew it was one of the larger browns I had hooked on the hooch. I also remembered at that time that in typical dumb fashion I did not change tippet and was using 6.5x.

I put as much pressure on as I felt I could and gave him his space when he needed it. He swam close by me and I thought I was going to be able to net him but he stayed just far enough away. Finally he came up for another jump and I was able to take advantage and keep his head up out of the water for the net job.

If I hadn't put that dang tape measure zinger on my pack this morning I would have been convinced I had landed a 20 plus inch brown. Something I have had as a goal for a long time. Instead, a quarter inch short at 19.75. Still a pretty fish, pictures are at weird angle so they don't do him justice but I was by myself and didn't want to harm the fish. Maybe he will eat again in a couple of months that's all it should take to grow to 20.

I new RScott was working so I texted him pictures as any good friend would. He texted back gesturing that I was #1.

Use Promo Code NGTO for 5% off
Big T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-17, 05:41 PM   #2
groundpounder
Hall of Fame Member, Former Director

What fly did you say you were throwing?
groundpounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-17, 05:43 PM   #3
GoutUnlimited
NGTO Twitter Chuchunya

Nice, he took that midge up top eh? Your sausage hands don't do that fish justice. But I'd say it's at least this big:

Old 12-01-17, 05:59 PM   #4
splatek16

Very nice

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
splatek16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-17, 06:08 PM   #5
RScott
Ex-President, Victim of the Cajun Rebellion

Glad to hear that Big T thinks I was working and most folks don't use a middle finger to say #1, but let him dream. I also didn't work this afternoon, but headed to IF.....here is the picture of the only fish I caught....

[image] not found [/image]

Not the quality of Big T's.....but it was a beautiful day, gotta start heading to the dam

Support the Mission Statement - buy the TU License Plate!

RScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-17, 06:20 PM   #6
Big T
BOD HOF SSQTCH

Quote:
Originally Posted by groundpounder View Post
What fly did you say you were throwing?
You made me a believer. Been using it a decent amount and I think of you every dang time I put on. I meant to reach out to you I knew you would get a kick out of that.

Old 12-01-17, 06:42 PM   #7
browniez
NGTO Hall of Fame

So excellent to see! Should have pinched his tail together. You deserve a 20 man, and you suffer from big hand syndrome too. That fish is even bigger than it looks

I'm not gonna lie "stocked brown trout" on the Hooch? You've scared the blankity blankity out of me.

Last edited by browniez; 12-01-17 at 07:00 PM.
browniez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-17, 07:03 PM   #8
mbailey729
Native

Thatís some might fine Hooch butter. Nice catch
mbailey729 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-17, 07:07 PM   #9
Big T
BOD HOF SSQTCH

Quote:
Originally Posted by browniez View Post
So excellent to see! Should have pinched his tail together. You deserve a 20 man, and you suffer from big hand syndrome too. That fish is even bigger than it looks

I'm not gonna lie "stocked brown trout" on the Hooch? You've scared the blankity blankity out of me.
I have caught two stocked Browns in a couple of years. I think they just rarely get mixed in with the rainbow stockings. One falls through the cracks.

Old 12-01-17, 07:33 PM   #10
JerryG
Native

Sir. That's a great fish. I wouldn't let some measurement diminish your feelings of accomplishment.

In fact, Ive remembered to measure my last couple good ones right about the time their tails disappeared into the depths, and something about it felt good. So much so that I may start skipping the tape intentionally.

Cheers to Big T
JerryG is offline   Reply With Quote