NGTO Message Board
Welcome to NGTO!
Home ] [ Membership ] [ Donations ] [ Feedback ] [ Stream Reviews ] [ Stream Reports ] [ Maps ] [ Events ] [ Articles ] [ Rules and Regulations ] [ Archives ] Message Board ] FAQ ] [ Hall of Fame ] Sponsors & Supporters ] About ] [ Witticisms ] [ Distinguished Members ]
Welcome to NGTO!

Go Back   NGTO Message Board > Fishing Reports > Beyond Georgia
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-12-17, 02:12 AM   #1
cpk7394
Stocker

Default Denver, CO

Itís been awhile since Iíve been on here. Iím headed to Denver for my honeymoon next May. Weíll be leaving at the very end of April and coming back at the beginning of May. Iíll probably have one whole day to fish, and I want to catch my first trout on a fly rod in Denver. Iíd prefer to catch Browns/Brooks since Iíve never caught one, also I donít want to drive to far since Iím not familiar with the area. I also prefer small streams, but Iíll try anywhere.
cpk7394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-17, 09:33 AM   #2
JOHNKIES
Hall of Fame Member

Default Couple Bits

So a couple of things you need to know, first is that the weather will be either shirt sleeves or snow boots that time of year depending on the whims of the weather gods and your chosen elevation. Also if an early spring, run off can be a factor.

For what you are describing I would recommend going to RMNP. High enough to be safe from even a very early run-off and offers lots of small streams. There are lots of other places to go, but the Park is not that far and your most expedient access into some really nice water and beautiful country. Your new bride may even want to come along just for the scenery. If she does, make a full day of it by taking a nice lunch and some drinks along - no food services in the Park. Then complete the trip with dinner in the Boulderado Hotel in Boulder.

Come to think of it, the Boulderado would make a great honeymoon hotel if you do not already have arrangements. Or for the real experience, you could stay at the Stanley Hotel on the edge of Estes Park just out side RMNP. Nice town and puts you about a 20 minute drive from brook trout waters. BTW - brooks are considered an invasive species in the Park so you may have to kill them and eat them!
JOHNKIES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-17, 01:50 PM   #3
Philhutch80
Native

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNKIES View Post
So a couple of things you need to know, first is that the weather will be either shirt sleeves or snow boots that time of year depending on the whims of the weather gods and your chosen elevation. Also if an early spring, run off can be a factor.

For what you are describing I would recommend going to RMNP. High enough to be safe from even a very early run-off and offers lots of small streams. There are lots of other places to go, but the Park is not that far and your most expedient access into some really nice water and beautiful country. Your new bride may even want to come along just for the scenery. If she does, make a full day of it by taking a nice lunch and some drinks along - no food services in the Park. Then complete the trip with dinner in the Boulderado Hotel in Boulder.

Come to think of it, the Boulderado would make a great honeymoon hotel if you do not already have arrangements. Or for the real experience, you could stay at the Stanley Hotel on the edge of Estes Park just out side RMNP. Nice town and puts you about a 20 minute drive from brook trout waters. BTW - brooks are considered an invasive species in the Park so you may have to kill them and eat them!
End of April you will want to check the snow pack levels of the ranges that surround the streams you want to fish. Runoff will be completely dependent on snowpack and how warm it is in the week or two leading up to your trip. RMNP will be mostly closed until the beginning of June also due to snow pack so you may want to stick closer to Estes Park and fish around there as most of the roads through the park will be closed. The weather- Johnkies nailed it. Spring time in the mountains it is a complete mix bag of what you will get so pack for everything. If you like small streams you may want to check out Boulder Creek and Boulder Canyon. Close proximity to Denver and you can fish all the way from Boulder proper up into the mountains going towards Nederland. Either way, have fun and congrats!
Philhutch80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-17, 02:40 PM   #4
YERF DOG
Native

Call Jeremy, Owner of The Flies & Lies Fly Shop in Deckers, CO. He will flat out put you on fish on the South Platte!
Old 12-12-17, 09:14 PM   #5
JOHNKIES
Hall of Fame Member

Default RMNP

In the Park many roads are closed, but typically the Park is open, you just can't drive in more than a few miles.
Old 12-12-17, 09:27 PM   #6
FlickNdip
Native

Might not need to travel to far to find fish. Not sure of the regs, but worth looking into.

Fishing in Denver

Team Georgia Competitive Fly Fishing Team now has a Facebook Page and an Instagram Page . Check them out for great information, pictures and events!

New to fly fishing? Check out Monthlyfly.com For localized Match The Hatch Flies mailed to your door!
FlickNdip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-17, 11:18 AM   #7
JOHNKIES
Hall of Fame Member

Default The Platte

I lived in Littleton so spent several years within a few miles of the S Platte so I may be a bit jaded. But to be honest, the Platte almost qualifies as an urban fishery. If you want the best shot at a big fish, then yes, fish the Platte. But if you want a Colorado Mountain West experience, fish other locations.

Dirty secret on the Platte where it flows into Chatfield Lake: The trout in the lake - all stockers - try to migrate up the Platte which can make for some crazy fishing putting even our DHs on opening day to shame.
Old 12-13-17, 12:09 PM   #8
Philhutch80
Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlickNdip View Post
Might not need to travel to far to find fish. Not sure of the regs, but worth looking into.

Fishing in Denver
Holy crap!!! If you scroll down there is another page that links to the direct project page. The whole set up was created through grassroots efforts. Great example for us to follow in our own way here.
Philhutch80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-17, 04:51 PM   #9
bamboo rod maker
Stocker

Default denver fishing

Like others have said you can fish Deckers or the dam in Estes Park. Water is always open there. maybe the Big Thompson will depend upon the weather for ice melting on the Big T between Loveland and Estes Park. Lots of open water water in Colorado depending upon runoff when it will start. St. Vrain would also be another place to check out or Boulder Creek.
former resident there
Fred
bamboo rod maker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-17, 04:53 PM   #10
bamboo rod maker
Stocker

Default denver fishing

Like others have said you can fish Deckers or the dam in Estes Park. Water is always open there. maybe the Big Thompson will depend upon the weather for ice melting on the Big T between Loveland and Estes Park. Lots of open water water in Colorado depending upon runoff when it will start. St. Vrain would also be another place to check out or Boulder Creek. Eleven Mile Canyon would be another place
former resident there
Fred
bamboo rod maker is offline   Reply With Quote