NGTO Message Board
Welcome to NGTO!
Home ] [ Membership ] [ Donations ] [ Feedback ] [ Stream Reviews ] [ Stream Reports ] [ Maps ] [ Events ] [ Articles ] [ Rules and Regulations ] [ Archives ] Message Board ] FAQ ] [ Hall of Fame ] Sponsors & Supporters ] About ] [ Witticisms ] [ Distinguished Members ]
Welcome to NGTO!

Go Back   NGTO Message Board > Gear Talk > Bamboo Fly Rods
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-05-17, 05:24 PM   #1
eyeflyfish
Native

Default Oyster Make your own

Well I signed up the Oyster July 9th class. Any input on what to expect? The info I got said to expect 8-10 hour days. I have never paid to be in prison work camp!
eyeflyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-17, 05:34 PM   #2
troutbum69
Native

Man I'm jealous

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"Stop Whining"
troutbum69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-17, 05:55 PM   #3
eyeflyfish
Native

I'm jealous of your boat. After I make it maybe we can barter time?
Old 12-05-17, 06:16 PM   #4
Buck Henry
Former NGTO President, Sith Lord, FKA Bhuk Henri

First off, you will love the experience and you will leave with an amazing bamboo rod that you built yourself. And yes, you are in for some long days that week! The first three days are very physical; lots of splitting and precision stripping to tolerances you would not think are possible. Your hands and arms will be aching for sure. The last three days are more mentally taxing as you bring the rods pieces together and then do all of the painstaking finishing work. Your brain is what will be hurting during this phase. The last day is the best, dipping the rod in varnish and drinking while you wait for it to dry.

As Bill is fond of saying, each step in the process is a disaster waiting to happen! But don't fret, they have not lost a student yet!

Buck Henry
Simple Goat Herder
Former NGTO President
Hall of Fame Member
Buck Henry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-17, 08:16 PM   #5
fishnpreacher
Board of Directors Chaplain, Hall of Fame

I've never taken Bill's class, but I have made a couple of rods. It is labor intensive and technical. The wrapping and finish work can get to you, sometimes you just have to put it down and walk off for a few. But as rodmaker Buck says, it is worth it.

And you need to get the nomenclature correct. You build graphite rods. You make cane rods. Learn to be a rod maker.

Exodus 29:18
Then burn the entire ram on the altar. It is a burnt offering to the LORD, a pleasing aroma, a food offering presented to the LORD.

God loves BBQ!
fishnpreacher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-17, 10:55 PM   #6
troutbum69
Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeflyfish View Post
I'm jealous of your boat. After I make it maybe we can barter time?

Absolutely! I've asked for the class for a few christmas' but still come up empty. I'm down with boo and wood boats!

"Stop Whining"
Old 12-05-17, 10:56 PM   #7
troutbum69
Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck Henry View Post
First off, you will love the experience and you will leave with an amazing bamboo rod that you built yourself. And yes, you are in for some long days that week! The first three days are very physical; lots of splitting and precision stripping to tolerances you would not think are possible. Your hands and arms will be aching for sure. The last three days are more mentally taxing as you bring the rods pieces together and then do all of the painstaking finishing work. Your brain is what will be hurting during this phase. The last day is the best, dipping the rod in varnish and drinking while you wait for it to dry.

As Bill is fond of saying, each step in the process is a disaster waiting to happen! But don't fret, they have not lost a student yet!

I haven't built a rod yet, but that description also accurately describes boat building

"Stop Whining"
Old 12-06-17, 07:17 AM   #8
eyeflyfish
Native

I appreciate all of the input. So today I will start doing pushups and yoga. Maybe by July I will have the arm strength and "mind set" to finish the week.
Old 12-06-17, 11:49 AM   #9
AK Pipeline
Native

Default great class!

I took the class in July of 2016. You'll have a blast! You have a few folks that perform each task quickly, and a few folks that are very slow. Depending upon your pace, there can actually be a lot of down time, which I found to be perfect for consuming the fine beer they have on tap in the back of the shop (and also for handling work matters). I'm not saying it's easy by any means - my hands cramped a fair bit on some of the tasks, but it's laid back for the most part.
If I could give one bit of advice if would be to take your time on the wrapping and sanding process. I didn't take my time on sanding after doing the wraps, and it shows on the final product. I'm reminded of my mistake every time I take that rod out to fish.
AK Pipeline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-17, 12:59 PM   #10
eyeflyfish
Native

AK,
Sanding the bamboo or sanding between varnishing? Take time meaning finer grit with more sanding or less pressure and more strokes?