NGTO Message Board
Welcome to NGTO!
Home ] [ Membership ] [ Donations ] [ Feedback ] [ Stream Reviews ] [ Stream Reports ] [ Maps ] [ Events ] [ Articles ] [ Rules and Regulations ] [ Archives ] Message Board ] FAQ ] [ Hall of Fame ] Sponsors & Supporters ] About ] [ Witticisms ] [ Distinguished Members ]
Welcome to NGTO!

Go Back   NGTO Message Board > Gear Talk > Bamboo Fly Rods
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-18-18, 04:02 PM   #1
Scott Swartz
Hall of Fame Member, NGTO Sponsor

Default Orvis Battenkill Value

Looking for help with valuation of a Boo. An Orvis Impregnated Battenkill 8' - 4 1/8oz - HDG (6 wt) with 2 tips. I discovered from the #83062 it is a Ron White build from 1979. It does not look like it has ever been used. Any of you Boo guys seen these sell recently to know value?
Scott Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-18, 04:35 PM   #2
fishinbub
Hall of Fame Member

Go over to www.classicflyrodforums.com and ask. Those guys know boo. Sounds like a kit rod. If I were to guess, I'd say probably in the $400-$600 range, but it's been quite some time since I've dealt with cane.

The right flies at the right time: Monthly Fly
fishinbub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-18, 10:48 PM   #3
The Ole Man
Past Director, Past CFO,

It wouldn't be a kit rod if it was built by Ron White. I don't believe build it yourself Orvis kit rods were serialized. There is an Orvis list at Classic Fly Rods with all serial numbers, what date they were built, what weight and length they were, and who at Orvis built them. For reference Scott, I received a 7 1/2 foot, 6 wt, 2 pc, 2 tip Battenkill from a Ga member at Classic built in 1958 by Ron White and Calvin Skinner (long term Orvis builders). It was $750. It was a 50th anniversary gift from my wife who had Buck Henry and Greg Smith track it down. A "looks like never been used" would command a few more bucks---maybe $850 based on what I've seen sold at Classic over the past year. Just fyi.
The Ole Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-18, 11:56 PM   #4
Fish Gazer
Native

Hey Scott! Just saw this. How are things on Pine Island? I love it down there, but my wife discovered South Carolina. Otherwise I would be down there soon

I have a 4 and 1/8th oz Battenkill that I love. It has a little more backbone to it and it's perfect on a larger stream like the Hooch. I bought for 550, but it has the original owners name on it . Otherwise what Jack said totally.

Last edited by Fish Gazer; 07-03-18 at 12:04 AM.
Fish Gazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-18, 10:49 AM   #5
Scott Swartz
Hall of Fame Member, NGTO Sponsor

Default Battenkill Boo for sale

Hi Gazer, miss seeing you down here and chasing tarpon with you. We just loaded the boat for a pre-4th of July run out to upper Captive to picnic on the beach.

I decided to sell the Bamboo Battenkill if anyone is interested. $795 to an NGTO'er and you pay shipping from Florida. That is the going price for average and this rod is way - way above average. Appraised at $850 - Ol Man nailed it. On eBay for $895 now.
Scott Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote