NGTO Message Board
Welcome to NGTO!
Home ] [ Membership ] [ Donations ] [ Feedback ] [ Stream Reviews ] [ Stream Reports ] [ Maps ] [ Events ] [ Articles ] [ Rules and Regulations ] [ Archives ] Message Board ] FAQ ] [ Hall of Fame ] Sponsors & Supporters ] About ] [ Witticisms ] [ Distinguished Members ]
Welcome to NGTO!

Go Back   NGTO Message Board > Fishing Reports > Chattahoochee River
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-07-17, 10:47 AM   #1
TeeBert
Native

Default Boating on the river

Hey guys, I was wondering what are the regulations concerning launching a jon boat on the river? I have a 14 footer with a 55 lb thrust trolling motor. Thus far I've only used it on Lanier. First question is, is this allowed south of the dam and if so what parks along the Chattahoochee have water deep enough to put a boat in? Also, I assume my trolling motor has enough power to go upstream against the current but are there any unforeseeable issues I need to be aware of? Thanks!
TeeBert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-17, 10:58 AM   #2
TPerrie
Stocker

The regulations are the same as any other Georgia water way (registration, life jackets, etc...). The biggest difference is fishing at night is not allowed.

Depending on how long you want to spend on the water, I would suggest your first launch be Abbotts Bridge. You can go up from there with a trolling motor and get yourself to some shoals relatively easily that hold fish.

There are other boat ramps you can launch, but with only a trolling motor, I'd spend my time fishing instead of trying to cover ground.

Don't forget your $3 for parking!

Have fun and good luck!
TPerrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-17, 11:44 AM   #3
troutbum69
Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by TPerrie View Post
The regulations are the same as any other Georgia water way (registration, life jackets, etc...). The biggest difference is fishing at night is not allowed.

Depending on how long you want to spend on the water, I would suggest your first launch be Abbotts Bridge. You can go up from there with a trolling motor and get yourself to some shoals relatively easily that hold fish.

There are other boat ramps you can launch, but with only a trolling motor, I'd spend my time fishing instead of trying to cover ground.

Don't forget your $3 for parking!

Have fun and good luck!

Or sign up for the annual pass for 25 bucks. At this point you may as well wait till the new year though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"Stop Whining"
troutbum69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-17, 12:15 PM   #4
TPerrie
Stocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutbum69 View Post
Or sign up for the annual pass for 25 bucks. At this point you may as well wait till the new year though.

$35 bucks now and it expires whatever month you bought it in. Mine currently states November 2018.
TPerrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-17, 12:42 PM   #5
troutbum69
Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by TPerrie View Post
$35 bucks now and it expires whatever month you bought it in. Mine currently states November 2018.

Good to know. OP, do that.

"Stop Whining"
troutbum69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-17, 12:42 PM   #6
TeeBert
Native

Thanks guys. My biggest concern is my trolling motor not being powerful enough and getting swept downstream. I've floated down the river on an inner tube and it seemed like I was standing still so it doesn't seem more than I can handle, but I'd rather seek the input of someone with experience!
Old 12-07-17, 01:11 PM   #7
natureman
Native

If you launch at the Dam life jackets are required to be worn from there downstream to the HWY. 20 bridge. You cannot launch at the Lower Pool Park during a water release.
natureman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-17, 01:26 PM   #8
fishtacos
Native

Because of various restrictive regulations and access issues, I've found it's best to launch in Lanier and motor down to the river.
fishtacos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-17, 01:40 PM   #9
TeeBert
Native

Are Medlock and Settles options as well in addition to Abbott's? I'd like to hit all 3 if I can and pick a favorite.
Old 12-07-17, 01:55 PM   #10
Swamp Angel
President

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeeBert View Post
Are Medlock and Settles options as well in addition to Abbott's? I'd like to hit all 3 if I can and pick a favorite.
Settles- no.
Medlock- absolutely yes!

I'll try to get signed on later and give you a full run down on the section between McGinnis Ferry and Medlock when I can get to a real computer and can actually type. (I HATE these dadblamed iPads!)
If you have difficulty understanding the post above, read it out loud and it should make sense. This NGTO member is known for his poor hill-billy upbringing and his affinity for all things from Louisiana (particularly if it relates to LSU). It makes for a poor mix of accents and much difficulty in translation. He was doing well for so long, but now seems to have regressed.
Swamp Angel is offline   Reply With Quote