NGTO Message Board
Welcome to NGTO!
Home ] [ Membership ] [ Donations ] [ Feedback ] [ Stream Reviews ] [ Stream Reports ] [ Maps ] [ Events ] [ Articles ] [ Rules and Regulations ] [ Archives ] Message Board ] FAQ ] [ Hall of Fame ] Sponsors & Supporters ] About ] [ Witticisms ] [ Distinguished Members ]
Welcome to NGTO!

Go Back   NGTO Message Board > Fishing Reports > Chattahoochee River
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-07-17, 02:55 PM   #11
WadingThroughLife
Native

Medlock should be fine too. You'll have a struggle getting that Jon down to settles and its a little more swift up there. Watch the releases and what CFS you're dealing with if only having that troller power. I can do pretty well getting back up to stuck flies with a 55 Minn Kota on a 12V system in a small vessel, so you could probably get around the less pushy water okay, but slowly depending on your setup
WadingThroughLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-17, 03:36 PM   #12
TeeBert
Native

Some great advice from everyone! I'm itching to get on the river instead of the lake but it's no fun to fall in a hole while wading in the winter. Thanks guys!
TeeBert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-17, 04:13 PM   #13
LureheadEd
Native

Personally, I would not launch on the river without an outboard of some sort unless the plan was to drift down to the next ramp....I've been caught by an unannounced release before above Medlock with just a trolling motor (yes it was several years back) and it's no fun struggling to the ramp as the flow increases, even going back downstream to where I put in....
LureheadEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-17, 05:33 PM   #14
Philhutch80
Native

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishtacos View Post
Because of various restrictive regulations and access issues, I've found it's best to launch in Lanier and motor down to the river.

How has that worked out for you after that first drop?
Philhutch80 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-17, 05:42 PM   #15
groundpounder
Hall of Fame Member, Former Director

I don't think you are going to get too far upstream pushing a John with a 55 lb thrust. I use to push a 17 ft kayak with a 55 lb thrust trolling motor and it worked great. But if I ever needed a little help I could paddle to help up through faster water. But a john boat doesn't push nearly as easy as a canoe. I use to launch at McGinnis, Abbotts, and Medlock. I wouldn't try McGinnis if I were you. Abbotts and Medlock are possible but again I don't think your going to get too far. After one outing you will have a better idea of what your boat is capable of. And stay upstream of the ramp.
groundpounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-17, 07:03 PM   #16
FairWeatherFisherman
Past Director, Hall of Fame Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LureheadEd View Post
Personally, I would not launch on the river without an outboard of some sort unless the plan was to drift down to the next ramp....I've been caught by an unannounced release before above Medlock with just a trolling motor (yes it was several years back) and it's no fun struggling to the ramp as the flow increases, even going back downstream to where I put in....
Well said. I was thinking the same thing. Be sure you have a plan for getting pushed downstream against your will, if that were to happen. That possibility has a probability greater than zero.
FairWeatherFisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-17, 12:28 PM   #17
TeeBert
Native

Well since I can't fish tomorrow on account of the weather I think I'll just visit all the ramps to see what they look like and the possibility of launching from each. That way when I come back with the boat I'll have a better idea what I'm up against. Thanks everyone.
TeeBert is offline   Reply With Quote