NGTO Message Board
Welcome to NGTO!
Home ] [ Membership ] [ Donations ] [ Feedback ] [ Stream Reviews ] [ Stream Reports ] [ Maps ] [ Events ] [ Articles ] [ Rules and Regulations ] [ Archives ] Message Board ] FAQ ] [ Hall of Fame ] Sponsors & Supporters ] About ] [ Witticisms ] [ Distinguished Members ]
Welcome to NGTO!

Go Back   NGTO Message Board > Fishing Reports > North Georgia Rivers--Trout Reports
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-11-17, 09:06 PM   #21
raptor
Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNKIES View Post
We are losing public waters in that we are losing access to our public waters. Moreover, there are greedy types who would love to take water rights private. Recall a little texas company named Enron? They had a plan called Blue Gold to get ownership of public water at no cost to them and sell water rights to communities, agriculture and industry. So far, ALL water remains public water.

Again, the real issue is access. In Montana my cousin calls it a 10-2-10. Where ranchers used to allow anglers to park and walk across the pasture to fish, there are now McMansions (10,000 sq ft - 2 people - 10 weekends a year) where the owners do not want anglers spoiling their view so right after they set up the cappuccino maker they put up the no trespassing signs.

And this situation also occurs on our southeastern streams and will worsen without some mitigation in the laws regarding access. Unfortunately, this is a state by state effort and typically gets little support among legislators.
I am not sure about the situation in N. Georgia, but I do agree with you about the situation in some parts of Montana and Colorado. I used to fish in the Bitterroot valley a lot in the past.. It is almost all private now and you need a guide for access. Same for the Frying Pan in Basalt, CO. This river is near my families home and I have fished it for over 20 years. Recently, there is so little public fishing that you are a** to elbow with multiple anglers unless you go near the reservoir, which is also too crowded. You can still find solitude and trout if you are willing to travel and hike to remote streams. But, it is getting more difficult.
raptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-17, 08:43 PM   #22
Groundhog
Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by bookkeeper View Post
I agree with the sentiments posted. I do have a problem with our public resources (stocked fish) swimming into so much private water. Eventually we may not have access to much public fishing at all. This is a much bigger threat to the sport being open and and affordable to the average person than sharing water with guides who work hard to help others learn and enjoy our sport.
The old country club golfers had the same attitude because they didn't want to share their fairways with kids and now their sport is just about dead.
Bro, not quite sure golf is anywhere close to dead and not quite sure what you're going for in regards to the " country club golfers " sharing their fairways w/ kids? Ton of public golf courses all over the place. Not a member of a country club but who cares if someone wants to join one? That may be their thing. Not mine but i've snuck onto a fair share of private courses and fished for their bass. Pond bass are the best. To each their own...
Old 12-27-17, 10:54 AM   #23
fishinbub
Hall of Fame Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUBBA CORNCHUCKER View Post
304 views and no one has an issue with this? Not one more selfish solitude lover? You guys are saints, and true lovers of humanity. I am humbled. I hope that every time you hike in, there will be somebody already there. From what I am reading that should make your day. pfffft
I've never, ever had a problem finding a place to fish without other people around. Sounds like you're fishing the Tooga DH and complaining because there are people on the water. Sorry, but I have little sympathy. I don't understand how you expect solidarity AND to catch fish that were stocked with someone else' tax money.

PS. If you worked a little harder, you can still find places to catch stockers AND have the stream to yourself.

The right flies at the right time: Monthly Fly
fishinbub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-17, 06:06 PM   #24
fishndoc
Native

Iíve fished a lot of streams over many years, occasionally with a guide, but the vast majority on my own. Iíve never once been treated rudely by a guide, or seen one act rudely towards non-clients. Not saying it doesnít happen, but it has to be rare.

In fact, if we all showed each other the courtesy and respect on streams that guides demonstrate, our fishing experiences would be far more pleasant.

For me, the big issue for future generation fishermen is stream access.
The Fryingpan was mentioned in an above post; Driving along the road within a rod's length of great water and No Tresspasing signs every 10 yards. I hope itís not where we are headed.
fishndoc is offline   Reply With Quote